Force India VJM07 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
monsi
monsi

Re: Force India VJM07 Mercedes

Thanks, but I am not sure I get this. Moving some air around the wheel from close to the centre line would create a lower pressure area between the wheel and body would it not, and would this not tend to pull the wheel wake further in ? I could understand it if you tell me that the central front underbody area of this car inside the wheels is incredibly sensitive to turbulent wake and needs to be protected from this as much as possible, perhaps.

A comparison with the mercedes wing. It appears to me (I hope I am not being fooled by perspective effects) that the FI wing starts moving air to the outside from closer to the centre. What design objective would make this preferred ?

wesley123
wesley123

The inside of the tire is influenced by other flow fields coming off the front wing, not to mention the vortices shed which also prevent tire wake to influence the airflow.

The outwash front wing pushes out air and create a low pressure zone on the outside of the tire, thus pulling air out.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

monsi
monsi

OK, thanks, I see. So would a wing like this with stronger outwash than others be one where blown wheel nuts would be potentially beneficial, or would it actually be the reverse ? Or hard to call either way and dependent on detailed flow modelling

PlatinumZealot

Just noticed the tiny new engine cover as mentioned is someone's post above. They are right too, the gearbox oil cooler has moved somewhere else...

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Thunder

AMuS has an Article about it.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 65683.html

The ERS and Gearbox cooler where moved to the Sidepods, allowing a slimmer Engine Cover.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

OO7
OO7

Thunders wrote:AMuS has an Article about it.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 65683.html

The ERS and Gearbox cooler where moved to the Sidepods, allowing a slimmer Engine Cover.
As I suspected. Cheers Thunders.

stefan_
stefan_

Germany 2014 - Wednesday (16.07.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

molo
molo

So they did bring their "slim body" design. Can't wait to see how it performs, specially if they "gave up" a little in the cooling area.... Hockenheim will be warm.

Racer X

molo wrote:So they did bring their "slim body" design. Can't wait to see how it performs, specially if they "gave up" a little in the cooling area.... Hockenheim will be warm.

Will it really be warm tho or European "Warm" witch to everyone in the world is basically winter what do you mean by warm and last i recall Force India had no problem with cooling in the past since the start off the season so i don't see why they would have to open up the car as much as other teams.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

PhillipM
PhillipM

There's a storm pushing in and good chance of a heatwave across most of Europe this weekend, so 31-32*c air temperature but chance of some thundery showers on race day.

stefan_
stefan_

Germany 2014 - Thursday (17.07.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Racer X

Obviusly these are two different wings i just have one question is either of them new and if one is new witch one is it?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

hecti
hecti

Racer X wrote:Obviusly these are two different wings i just have one question is either of them new and if one is new witch one is it?
http://i58.tinypic.com/vijyjc.png

Same Wing, The one in the back is horizontal, look at the end plate on the back left

Morteza

Formula1.com
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

rahulsampath
rahulsampath

Did anyone notice that the Engine cover used by Sahara Force India in Hockenheim was their old one except for the Second cooling inlet not the one tested during Silverstone Testing.