Force India VJM07 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mamba
Mamba

Re: Force India VJM07 Mercedes

I noticed that yes, you beat me to posting it here. Did they suspect that it would be too warm for the tight bodywork so they just brought their old but modified bodywork?

MAMBA

Sidhartha.techie
Sidhartha.techie

Hulk tested the old one while perez ran the new one, autosport mentioned it during commentary, data comparison i guess.
"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna

Mamba
Mamba

That would make sense. I noticed the old bodywork in quali as well. Would they run different bodywork types during the race? That would be strange, so I guess that they were not yet comfortable running the new bodywork in the German heat.

MAMBA

Sidhartha.techie
Sidhartha.techie

Mamba wrote:That would make sense. I noticed the old bodywork in quali as well. Would they run different bodywork types during the race? That would be strange, so I guess that they were not yet comfortable running the new bodywork in the German heat.

MAMBA
I think you are correct on that matter, though even if they were running different coves, they were pretty evenly matched
"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna

maheshvi
maheshvi

So Force India did not run their tightest bodywork in the race.

maheshvi
maheshvi

I think FI can improve their car a lot by focusing on following areas

1) Tighter bodywork : <Already in motion>
2) Sidepod improvements: Currently their sidepods are quite wide at the bottom, making the car draggy. I think they can improve this by changing the shape of their radiators (more curved at bottom instead of flat) and also changing the angle of attack of their radiators inside the side-pods. ( For example Red bulls deploy their radiators almost horizontal )
3) Front wing out-wash: I also think that the innermost FW element for outwash is un-necessarly too much on the inside. They can probably improve this by relocating it more close the outside. (just like Merc)
4) Fin cooling: I would love if they can also implement a tighter body work with shark fin cooling. (just like Williams)

Having said that, these are my opinion based on what other teams have done in various areas and limited knowledge about aerodynamics. Happy to hear opinion from others on the group.

Racer X

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... /1204.html

Force India VJM07 - improved cooling solution

Force India introduced a new engine cover and cooling specification in Germany.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

The team continued to test/evaluate the Shark Fin but actually ran a snorkel-less version of the old cover for the race...
https://twitter.com/SomersF1/status/491919192921497600
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

Mamba
Mamba

Anyone notice that FI are back to their old bodywork with the oil cooler intake on the roll hoop for Hungary? When will we see the new bodywork? After the three week break perhaps?

MAMBA

Godius

Mamba wrote:Anyone notice that FI are back to their old bodywork with the oil cooler intake on the roll hoop for Hungary? When will we see the new bodywork? After the three week break perhaps?

MAMBA
I don't know exactly why either but I have read on motorsport.com that the new tighter bodywork was made around the FRIC-system and they are having correlation problems running the new bodywork without FRICS.

techF1LES

Andy Green in the recent AMuS article wrote:"Depending on the track and weather conditions we switch between the two configurations back and forth. In Spa we hope for cooler weather to bring in new package, while in Monza and Singapore the old version will probably come back on the car."

maheshvi
maheshvi

techF1LES wrote:
Andy Green in the recent AMuS article wrote:"Depending on the track and weather conditions we switch between the two configurations back and forth. In Spa we hope for cooler weather to bring in new package, while in Monza and Singapore the old version will probably come back on the car."
This is very disappointing. FI should try to move fwd and take some risk. It is difficult to understand that FI are not able to have tighter body work running smoothly when Williams is reaping benefits of it having managed tighter cowlings. More so in Hangaroring which is a track that demands high downforce .

In my opinion they should have tried to work their setup around tighter body-work (even if one of their cars only). I think this is a must or else they will keep falling behind in development race.

F1T
Administrative bot

Force India continues to switch between engine covers

Force India continues to switch between engine covers - Development blog

One month ago, at the Austrian Grand Prix, Force India introduced a major aerodynamic upgrade package on its VJM07, including a modified nose cone and different bodywork around the engine and exhaust. The difference is obvious around the "Claro" logo when comparing the Canadian specification to the car running at Silverstone. Tighter packaging is an obvious aerodynamic advantage and proved possible even while retaining the location of the oil cooler above the exhaust pipe, fed by the secondary airbox inlet.

In the German GP weekend, the team pushed on in this direction, now relocating the oil cooler to the sidepods, ditching the secondary inlet, reducing the volume of the car's upper bodywork even further. It is unconfirmed to me what exactly was not perfectly right with this package, but it may very well be that the shift of internal components did show an issue that needed to be resolved before racing it. In any case, at the German GP, the VJM07 was equipped with a rather strange combination of designs, featuring the Silverstone engine cover but with the secondary inlet closed off, possibly relying on internal airflow to provide sufficient air towards the oil cooler.

It is obvious this was a sub-optimal solution, and at Hungary, the team turned up with its Silverstone configuration once again, leaving the secondary inlet open to feed the oil cooler. It is probably safe to assume that the team will continue to try different configurations, especially given the high speed nature of upcoming races at Spa-Francorchamps and Monza.

maheshvi
maheshvi

Not hundred % sure, but it seems like that the skinnier bodywork is back in action in Spa for Force India !! =D>

Morteza

Belgium 2014 - Thursday (21.08.2014)

auto-motor-und-sport.de
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare