Force India VJM07 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
multisync

Re: Force India VJM07 Mercedes

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Fernley says the team pursued a wrong aero concept mid-season and that's the reason for their dip in pace & results. He says they just worked out what went wrong but would only say they took the wrong development path. I'm going to look back through their updates in hope maybe one can figure out where they went wrong.

Force India Corrects Aero Error Ahead of Abu Dhabi
and every season previously...

PhillipM

I will say, it's amazing how many teams at the end of a season, find the 'fix' for the suspension/aero/design path that they'd been using wrong all year, and how they'll hence be much faster next year Mr. Sponsor, just sign here.

multisync

PhillipM wrote:I will say, it's amazing how many teams at the end of a season, find the 'fix' for the suspension/aero/design path that they'd been using wrong all year, and how they'll hence be much faster next year Mr. Sponsor, just sign here.
You're right but to the fair to FI their CFD upgrade planned for January only went live on stream in July time so they may have a very small point..

stefan_

Abu Dhabi 2014 - Thursday (20.11.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Godius

That new rear wing endplate looks very aggressive.

Cuky

did they just took old rear wing endplate from Ferrari and repainted it to match their car?

mbchc

The monkey seat seems a low profile one by the looks of it. For they not going for downforce to maximize their top on the two long straight?
Mercedes AMG Petronas
AMG|||

Godius

Airbox-Display test, via AMuS:

adrianjordan

Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Writinglife

adrianjordan wrote:What is the purpose of that display?
Its something that Anthony Hamilton came up with. the idea is it would display car information for fans (Number, driver name, tyre choice etc) I can't see it catching on though, it's not going to be that visible for TV watchers, let alone trackside.

It would be simpler and cheaper to just put the car number on the sides in a large font.

astracrazy

i think it is aimed more at trackside than tv.

It's a nice idea, but if it will be visible enough is something else. I guess that is what is being tested. It doesn't look like its on in those pictures. Bright white LED's can be quiet good.

Facts Only

The actual "wing" part seems redundent, why not just incorporated the thin LED display into the rear wing endplate or side of the engine cover. Strikes me as "Design for Designs Sake"

On a related note, how long before we see screens with live adverts running on F1 bodywork?
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Sidhartha.techie

Yeah, so much for the financial crisis sake
"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna

dobbster71

In my opinion this is a stupid idea & adds nothing.
It's easy enough to spot which tyres are being used, they're colour coded!
At the track I would imagine that most people use their mobile phones to get the latest info. on the race.
Maybe this is just an exercise in massaging Mr. Hamiltons' big ego!!! I'm sure that he was thinking of something along these lines:
WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!
Juha Kankkunen

Sidhartha.techie

dobbster71 wrote:In my opinion this is a stupid idea & adds nothing.
It's easy enough to spot which tyres are being used, they're colour coded!
At the track I would imagine that most people use their mobile phones to get the latest info. on the race.
Maybe this is just an exercise in massaging Mr. Hamiltons' big ego!!! I'm sure that he was thinking of something along these lines:
http://news.mobilecashmate.co.uk/wp-con ... 101031.jpg
well actually that is the whole point about this tech, people have to check their devices for info on drivers data thereby taking their eyes of the track action, it is definitely not for TV audience, although I don't think even trackside people will be able to spot it
"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna