McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
henra
henra

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

trinidefender wrote: I can't help but wonder if they had designed the car with the new nose originally if they would have designed the front of the crash structure higher to have a smooth transition between nose and crash structure.
Even though I strongly tend to agree, I have to admit that the rear of the car strikes me much more in its business and bulkiness. The Butterfly only seems to make this bulkiness worse.
It might be worth look into shrinking the sidepods in length (higher and shorter with good Coke Bottle seems the better packaging Option since there is no Beam Wing to suffer from high sidepods and the Butterflys don't seem to cut it), and getting rid of the Butterflys and try to go the Merc/RB way. This low sidepod is also an indication they fully relied on the Butterfly solution. Unfortunately it seems that didn't pay off. The big (!) question mark is if there is potential to be discovered in that alley they pursued. Looking at their current Performance I have some doubts.

The front of the car might be a tiny bit sub- Optimum but I seriously doubt it is the real cause of the trouble. At least Nose 2.0 should squeeze plenty of air to the T-Tray/sidepod area.

outer_bongolia

henra wrote:
Even though I strongly tend to agree, I have to admit that the rear of the car strikes me much more in its business and bulkiness. The Butterfly only seems to make this bulkiness worse.
Strongly agreed.
henra wrote: ...This low sidepod is also an indication they fully relied on the Butterfly solution. Unfortunately it seems that didn't pay off. The big (!) question mark is if there is potential to be discovered in that alley they pursued. Looking at their current Performance I have some doubts.
I think they will not be able to change the sidepod without having to redesign pretty much all of the car.

Let's say the butterfly will be useful in high downforce races (Monaco) and no butterfly will let them score a few points in low downforce races (Monza). Would the case of only bottom wings be good enough to push them to redesign at least backside of the car for average downforce tracks?
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

Thunder

Very Interesting Article about the Mercedes Engine Installation and Updates for China.Don't know if it's right in this Thread but it's about the Engine, Exhaust and Sidepods so it should be ok.

http://f1elvis.com/2014/04/15/customer-service/
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Holm86

Thunders wrote:Very Interesting Article about the Mercedes Engine Installation and Updates for China.Don't know if it's right in this Thread but it's about the Engine, Exhaust and Sidepods so it should be ok.

Good link Thunders. Interesting to see if they really have such a big update comming this weekend.

gray41

Might bring the car back into podium contention.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Thunders wrote:Very Interesting Article about the Mercedes Engine Installation and Updates for China.Don't know if it's right in this Thread but it's about the Engine, Exhaust and Sidepods so it should be ok.

Great article and very well written explanation of the advantage Merc hold. Of course this will be the case all through the season with various PU up-dates. I thought maps and electronic controls were also frozen but I guess I was wrong.

So, are Honda "all over" the Merc PU back at MTC or do Merc have some sort of control over access?

akshat21
akshat21

I am sure merc have some control over it. They keep IP files on their servers and give McL read only access.

Although they can do very little with the information McL already has from Engine Maps, Dimensions, SECU telemetry and all.

They can give Honda specific parameters for the engine under given conditions and loads. Honda can then work their way backwards and update their PU accordingly.

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

akshat21 wrote:I am sure merc have some control over it. They keep IP files on their servers and give McL read only access.

Although they can do very little with the information McL already has from Engine Maps, Dimensions, SECU telemetry and all.

They can give Honda specific parameters for the engine under given conditions and loads. Honda can then work their way backwards and update their PU accordingly.
Indeed. I really expect Honda to be right up there next season. They have a terrific advantage sitting back this first year and for McLaren, to have the Manufacturer Works position again. I hate to admit it but technically McLaren are done for this year. It's now just gaining knowledge for next year.

I do hate that F1 has got to the stage where whole years and longer are virtually written off.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

What do you think about Eric Boullier's statement about updates for China: "We’ll have another little step for China, and will hopefully be bringing more key updates to every race."?

Can we expect another set of aero tweaks to the car like Malaysia and Bahrain, or what can mean this "little step"?

Shakeman

mclaren_mircea wrote:What do you think about Eric Boullier's statement about updates for China: "We’ll have another little step for China, and will hopefully be bringing more key updates to every race."?

Can we expect another set of aero tweaks to the car like Malaysia and Bahrain, or what can mean this "little step"?
F1Elvis said they have reworked the bodywork of the car as Merc had supplied smaller exhausts.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Shakeman wrote:
mclaren_mircea wrote:What do you think about Eric Boullier's statement about updates for China: "We’ll have another little step for China, and will hopefully be bringing more key updates to every race."?

F1Elvis said they have reworked the bodywork of the car as Merc had supplied smaller exhausts.
There is no other source claiming something like that and I don't know from where he got that type of information. Such a big upgrade package may be realistic only for May when the F1 returns to Europe. Spain is the place where most of the teams will bring big updates. It cannot be possible such a big change and makes no sens that a "little step" can mean such a big upgrade like F1Elvis said.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

They cannot have such a big update for China.
Two weeks ago Boullier said that they will have key updates for Bahrain and Spain, nothing about China. In the preview about China's race, Eric said that for Shanghai they will have only a "little step".

CjC
CjC

Marc Priestley is an ex mclaren mechanic, he too will have friends and colleagues who still work for mclaren, I'd say he is a reliable source.
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

CjC wrote:Marc Priestley is an ex mclaren mechanic, he too will have friends and colleagues who still work for mclaren, I'd say he is a reliable source.
I hope you have a golden mouth and you are right :D
I really want to see Mclaren closing the gap [-o<

Pierce89

mclaren_mircea wrote:

They cannot have such a big update for China.
Two weeks ago Boullier said that they will have key updates for Bahrain and Spain, nothing about China. In the preview about China's race, Eric said that for Shanghai they will have only a "little step".
The article didn't say there was a big update for China. It only said China was the soonest they could possibly make the packaging gains from the exhaust, because they didn't know beforehand a much smaller exhaust was being built.

Edit: I read again and he definitively said they'll have a big update so ignore what I wrote above.
Last edited by Pierce89 on 15 Apr 2014, 19:51, edited 2 times in total.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher