McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Gaz.
Gaz.

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

JimClarkFan wrote:
mclaren_mircea wrote:What is happening with the car? :( Where is the driveability? :(
Who knows, I'm surprised because the car is supposed to be fairly good in corners if jenson is to be believed, maybe it is the long back straight.

I don't understand Mclaren at the moment. I'm confused as to why their nose, front wing, and rear end is different from the other top teams. Maybe they think they have a better solution but the facts don't back that up right now.

I think the longer straights are preventing them from showing their true colours.

Edit - Jenson was complaining about not getting heat in the fronts... though I think Jenson always complains about getting heat into the tyres when he is not running at the front.
Can the geometry be changed to increase the stress the tyres are under? I seem to remember JB had this problem from Monaco - Silverstone 2012 inclusive, and some of the colder circuits in 2009, notably Silverstone & Nurburgring before being back on form in a very warm Monza. Could the wheel rims transfer more heat from the brakes? I realise that goes against the current thinking with fancy coatings & finishes on the wheels to reduce heat but perhaps Mclaren need it? :)
Forza Jules

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Gaz. wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:
mclaren_mircea wrote:What is happening with the car? :( Where is the driveability? :(
Who knows, I'm surprised because the car is supposed to be fairly good in corners if jenson is to be believed, maybe it is the long back straight.

I don't understand Mclaren at the moment. I'm confused as to why their nose, front wing, and rear end is different from the other top teams. Maybe they think they have a better solution but the facts don't back that up right now.

I think the longer straights are preventing them from showing their true colours.

Edit - Jenson was complaining about not getting heat in the fronts... though I think Jenson always complains about getting heat into the tyres when he is not running at the front.
Can the geometry be changed to increase the stress the tyres are under? I seem to remember JB had this problem from Monaco - Silverstone 2012 inclusive, and some of the colder circuits in 2009, notably Silverstone & Nurburgring before being back on form in a very warm Monza. Could the wheel rims transfer more heat from the brakes? I realise that goes against the current thinking with fancy coatings & finishes on the wheels to reduce heat but perhaps Mclaren need it? :)
I think they can make adjustments, I can't really comment because I'm not a engineer, I am normally a passenger in these threads.

Perhaps someone else can chime in.

Jenson always complains about the front end though, so it is hard to read too much into that.

Xero

He was saying they're maxed out on front wing, so they are front-end limited? This year I would have thought the complete opposite! Maybe time to bring back the snow-plough.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

The mp4-29 may have better driveability, but sadly the ultimate performance it's at the same level like last year's car. I don't think that mp4-29 can bring more than a 5th place in the Constructor's Championship. :(

adrianjordan

Has anyone heard any rumours of a B-spec car?

Surely there's still time to turn things around, but it would require some pretty fundamental changes to the car's design philosophy...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Glyn
Glyn

Xero wrote:He was saying they're maxed out on front wing, so they are front-end limited? This year I would have thought the complete opposite! Maybe time to bring back the snow-plough.
Isn't that the problems the Mclaren has had for agesssss.

Everyone complains about the front end not looking very good. And I thought they had finally discovered the problems last year.

Duke

adrianjordan wrote:Has anyone heard any rumours of a B-spec car?

Surely there's still time to turn things around, but it would require some pretty fundamental changes to the car's design philosophy...
Not unless they find something fundamentally wrong with the car. Sounds like it just needs more development parts thrown at it.

Richard
Richard

They ditched the butterfly suspension for one of the FP sessions in Bahrain, did they try that again in China? If so, then it might be the prelude for a B spec without it in Spain?

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

They need a C-spec car not just with much more downforce but also with a solution for the chronic problems with the front end (tyres, wing, set-up) that Mr No Grip always complains :lol:

nacho
nacho

What if they are lost as in the way they were lost with Button some time ago?

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

richard_leeds wrote:They ditched the butterfly suspension for one of the FP sessions in Bahrain, did they try that again in China? If so, then it might be the prelude for a B spec without it in Spain?
I don't think so.

There will be a lot of egg on peoples faces if they have to introduce a normal suspension.

Who is making the technical decisions over there these days? Bar 2012, everyone of the cars over the past four years has debut something which has been controversial for the get go...
2011 the car had these new funky side pods (a nice idea I think actually)
2013 pull rod suspension, very aggressive winter development in terms of making a leap forward based on wind tunnel data
2014 butterfly suspension

...and it is worth noting, teams have not been vocal about those suspensions which to me suggests they don't really rate it.

As a none engineer fan, looking at the front running teams I see several things...
-more intricate front wing
-cleaner rear end

If I was technical director, those are the first two things I would sort out.

andyb225
andyb225

The front wing as already mentioned looks very square, and when compared with rb, its down on vertical elements too. Is it any wonder they are front limited?

I think they should develop the front wing and around the front of the side pods (not sure what those cooling chimneys provide as no-one else runs them) and tighten up the coke bottle shape. This would improve airflow to the rear, and if you remove the butterfly suspension, would give a sound base from which to develop for the rest of the season. i.e. clear away the clutter and go from there.

I haven't given up on Mclaren yet this season, Ferrari were nowhere in Bahrain 2 weeks ago, yet today my driver of the day Fernando scores a podium today - don't give up!

KingHamilton01

so the refined sidepods that were rumoured to turn up at china and didn't will surely be at spain, new RW and updated front wing? if McLaren are front end limited I will be surprised if they don't change the angle and shape of the element's on the front wing. very different when you look at the red bull, mercedes and force india set-up when it comes to the front wing! a lot of work to do.
McLaren Mercedes

Thunder

I can't believe i am writing this but seeing Jenson saying they're maxed out on the Front Wing makes me think they really need a complete redesign of it. Not sure if they can incorporate a low Nose Design (since that seems to be working really well) into their Car but the Front Wing needs massive Work.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

lebesset
lebesset

JimClarkFan wrote:

why point the finger at button , why not maggie ?
different driver , different set up , same problem of no heat in the front tyres
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be