McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

OmniCorse reports McLaren will have a new floor & diffuser in Spa. The floor & diffuser have been made to work without the rear suspension mushrooms.

Link can be found Here

Thunder

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

If they can make the development Step to run the Car without the Butterfly Suspension it would be a good thing imho. I mean clearly the Suspension Arms work as McLaren wants them to because they are still running them but in this new Era of F1 it's all about efficiency, and tht's where these blockers literaly get in the Way. So if McLaren can make their Car work without them this Year it would surely help the 2015 Development.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

Thunders wrote:If they can make the development Step to run the Car without the Butterfly Suspension it would be a good thing imho. I mean clearly the Suspension Arms work as McLaren wants them to because they are still running them but in this new Era of F1 it's all about efficiency, and tht's where these blockers literaly get in the Way. So if McLaren can make their Car work without them this Year it would surely help the 2015 Development.
I think this is track related only - due to the high speed nature of SPA & Mozna - therefore I believe we will see the old spec of dif & floor afterwards again
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mbchc
mbchc

For me I think they are lowering down their overall drag and properly downforce to fit the upcoming fast tracks as Spa and Monza .
Mercedes AMG Petronas
AMG|||

Thatsnotgonewell
Thatsnotgonewell

trinidefender wrote:
Thatsnotgonewell wrote:I'm a little surprised with all this work on rear wing details that McLaren are still using a simple center support spar rather than a swan neck. Maybe they were looking for consistency rather than pure performance?
Also remember that the lower portion of their rear wing end plates are much smaller than most teams because of their weird suspension arms. Probably means that more force has to be taken by the rear wing support and maybe a swan neck simply can't support that.
Good catch I hadn't looked at that but you're right they are really scalloped out at the front and are only joined to the floor by a small section. They'll definitely need to do some work there if they want a swan neck center support. Maybe with the new floor and loss of the butterfly suspension at Spa it will open the door to go in this direction.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Thatsnotgonewell wrote:
trinidefender wrote:
Thatsnotgonewell wrote:I'm a little surprised with all this work on rear wing details that McLaren are still using a simple center support spar rather than a swan neck. Maybe they were looking for consistency rather than pure performance?
Also remember that the lower portion of their rear wing end plates are much smaller than most teams because of their weird suspension arms. Probably means that more force has to be taken by the rear wing support and maybe a swan neck simply can't support that.
Good catch I hadn't looked at that but you're right they are really scalloped out at the front and are only joined to the floor by a small section. They'll definitely need to do some work there if they want a swan neck center support. Maybe with the new floor and loss of the butterfly suspension at Spa it will open the door to go in this direction.
Doubtful as the pickup points of the suspension will still be in the same place meaning that the rear suspension arms will still go so far back into the space that most normal rear wing end plates are.

Kiril Varbanov

Holm86

The leading edge of the flap is stil serrated, though the trailing edge of the main plane is not anymore.

NaSku
NaSku

And there are no strakes on the endplates.

Morteza

Belgium 2014 - Thursday (21.08.2014)

auto-motor-und-sport.de
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

f1rules
f1rules

updated diffuser or? look at the center
similar to the merc solution

Last edited by f1rules on 21 Aug 2014, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

Writinglife
Writinglife

is it just me that sees a return to the West paint scheme occurring forward of the sidepods on the nose?

Thunder

hmm ok no Monkey Seat for now.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

adrianjordan

Writinglife wrote:is it just me that sees a return to the West paint scheme occurring forward of the sidepods on the nose?
It's not just you...I can see it too...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

markn93

Is that a phallus-free nose?