McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
KingHamilton01

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

Does anyone know which update they brought to the car and didn't work as anticipated?
McLaren Mercedes

trinidefender
trinidefender

KingHamilton01 wrote:Does anyone know which update they brought to the car and didn't work as anticipated?
Well if I remember correctly Jenson Button stated that the car was suffering with under steer without going into to much detail. If I had to gander at a guess it would be the way the new front wing deflects with increased speed reducing front end grip when they don't want it to. That plus maybe they found some more grip in the back that, combined with the front wing not working as intended, upset the aero and/or mechanical grip of the car.

Also don't listen to the post above, apparently the winglet above the diffuser was there for a long time.

SectorOne

They had a similar problem last year as well where they would max out the front wing and still have understeer.
Either it´s setup so far out of the window or the front wing just isn´t anywhere near it´s potential.

The last but most unlikely explanation is they have so much rear DF they can´t possibly balance it out, highly unlikely though.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Richard
Richard

Hamilton was on the radio asking his team for more front wing in Q3 "if we have any left". So it sounds like he was maxxed out too. So part of it may be the track characteristics.

CjC
CjC

KMag said that the updates didn't work after quali in singapore
http://mobile.formula1.com/news/interviews/2014/9/16378
Just a fan's point of view

vinuneuro
vinuneuro

From JB and autosport this morning. Sounds like they could use some damper work.

"I think circuits that have a high-speed nature but not a big change of direction will be fine, like Brazil, but Suzuka could be tricky for us," explained the 2011 Japanese GP winner.

"It is a shame, especially for the future of this team, that it could be a really tricky race for the team. But we have a few little things that could help us."

Button believes that the weakness in high-speed corners is symptomatic of the lack of downforce McLaren has had all season.

"Traction has been a big issue, and also when the car is unsettled it is very difficult," he said.

"In gradual high-speed corners we are reasonably good, but on corners with a sharp turn-in we are nowhere.

Jenson Button

"We have no initial turn-in, we don't get it in, and then the rear falls over. The change of direction in high speed is the same.

"For the first part we are good, but as soon as you change direction and go over the central part of the steering wheel we lose speed.

"It has been a weakness, and something that has improved over the year.

"I think it is just a lack of downforce. We started the year knowing we had a lack of downforce but wanting a driveable car - which it is.

"But the problem is we needed to start pushing it to make it more edgy - and we've done that!

"But it's all great planning for next year."

Morteza

Japan 2014 - Friday - 03/10/2014

auto-motor-und-sport.de
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

mclaren111

I see Akebono on The Rear Wing.
On their Website I saw this:

"Formula 1 (FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP) is considered to be the pinnacle of world automobile racing.
Providing world-beating performance, Akebono has been the Official Supplier of brakes to the McLaren Mercedes F1 team since 2007.
In Formula 1, it's necessary to have brakes that allow the car to go faster. When entering a corner, vehicle speed changes from 300 km/h to 80 km/h in a matter of three seconds. At this time, brake rotor temperatures rise as high as approximately 800 degrees C.
To provide minimum possible weight while keeping high rigidity, outstanding cooling capacity, safe performance and high reliability, our meticulous design processes take into account materials selection, their surface treatment and multiple other aspects.
In February 2014, Akebono and the McLaren Mercedes F1 team are pleased to announce a new, extended technology partnership.
For the 2014 Formula 1 season onwards, Akebono is elevated to the status of ‘Technology Partner’ of the McLaren Mercedes team and will design and integrate an all-new braking system in response to the latest changes in the Formula 1 regulations.

Is this accurate ? I was under the impression only Brembo & Carbon Industries supply F1.

Maybe Sales Pitch ???

Thunder

Akebono is Technical Partner of McLaren since the beginning of this Season i think, but they supplied them for quite some Time before.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/partners/Akebono
Last edited by Thunder on 03 Oct 2014, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

CptPeanut
CptPeanut

AFAIK they have been supplying the brakes all season and received technology partner status as they also supply brakes for the P1

mikeerfol

Didn't Akebono supply McLaren since Hamilton's first year there? :?:

sectionate
sectionate

I still think the rear of the engine cover looks so bulky, when compared to other cars.

CjC
CjC

sectionate wrote:I still think the rear of the engine cover looks so bulky, when compared to other cars.
Definitely!
We haven't seen the slimmed down side pods that was speculated early in the season.
Just a fan's point of view

Thunder

I have to agree on that, hell even Sauber slimmed down their Engine Cover/Sidepods. Clearly they didn't feel it was necessary to do so but it's indeed weird that they are practically running Launch Spec Sidepods still.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum