McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

mikeerfol wrote: (there's also a mention that the MP4-30 is already better regarding aero than the 2014 car.)
Would be weird if it wasn't
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Thunder

Austin 2014, Wednesday
Picture by AMuS

Looks like the new Front Wing with the Bump in the Y250 Area, but the Metal Part is painted now.
Also is that a Pelican Bump or whatever it's called behind the Nose Tip? Did they have that before?

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Forza

https://twitter.com/janci1612/status/527966629527691264 AMuS - R17.US Grand Prix - 30/10/2014

Thunder

So my eyes still work, that's good to know. :D

Good to see them pushing the developments until the End. And nice to finally see some Orange on a McLaren again. 8) 8)
#aerogollum

Gerhardsa

Thunders wrote:So my eyes still work, that's good to know. :D

Good to see them pushing the developments until the End. And nice to finally see some Orange on a McLaren again. 8) 8)
Looks yellow to me(the SAP logo) :wink:

Thunder

I guess that's a bit Monitor and lighting specific. On their Homepage it looks Orange to me.
http://www.sap.com/germany/index.html
#aerogollum

adrianjordan

What is the advantage of the pelican nose over the design they had previously?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

turbof1

adrianjordan wrote:What is the advantage of the pelican nose over the design they had previously?
It creates in conjunction with the neutral section of the mainplane a venturi tunnel, dropping pressure and improving front downforce and air extraction, sucking in more air volume that'll move to the rear.
#AeroFrodo

CjC
CjC

So it's an increase in overall downforce? Improving front and rear?
Hopefully it'll improve the front more as the drivers are always asking for more front end and being told they are maxed out.
Just a fan's point of view

Harsha

Is the new front wing done Pete Prod or is this designed earlier ??

mikeerfol

I believe the new front wing (designed by Prodromou) will make it's debut at Abu Dhabi.

dren

turbof1 wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:What is the advantage of the pelican nose over the design they had previously?
It creates in conjunction with the neutral section of the mainplane a venturi tunnel, dropping pressure and improving front downforce and air extraction, sucking in more air volume that'll move to the rear.
A venturi? Look straight on, the nose is directly in front of the part behind it. To me it looks more like flow management to the under nose flow conditioners. I'm guessing they had issues with the flow joining again behind the protrusion.
Honda!

CjC
CjC

mikeerfol wrote:I believe the new front wing (designed by Prodromou) will make it's debut at Abu Dhabi.
Looking forward to that!!
Just a fan's point of view

turbof1

dren wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
A venturi? Look straight on, the nose is directly in front of the part behind it. To me it looks more like flow management to the under nose flow conditioners. I'm guessing they had issues with the flow joining again behind the protrusion.
Yes it'll unfortunaly block the airflow a bit. Though the nose is shaped in a such a way it'll try to keep airflow attached and draw it directly behind it.

However, the solution is no different in concept from the pelican noses we saw last year at red bull and lotus. It creates a venturi tunnel just as last year, just a bit less effective due bodywork being in front of it.

The bulge also aids in airflow attachment as you said. Without the bulge a thick boundary layer would probably build up behind the nose. But again: one advantage will not exclude the other and will still create a venturi tunnel.
#AeroFrodo

Harsha

mikeerfol wrote:I believe the new front wing (designed by Prodromou) will make it's debut at Abu Dhabi.
Really looking forward to that and also he can guide Mp4-30 design atleast for first big upgrade