Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Ferrari F14T

iHpled wrote:

Note the throttle graph, very often i see the Ferrari not on full throttle, but on 99%.. why?
Sensor calibrations aren't always perfect.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

hollus

hollus wrote:http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/89/4fyq.png

From this gear comparison, Ferrari is geared much shorter than all other top teams. They might be facing a top speed / DRS / slipstream problem that can make it difficult to overtake, and even more difficult to defend; if not already in Bahrain, then in China. Last year's top speed in China were about 320Km/h. This year more than 330 is to be expected. To be at 330Km/h in 8th gear, the Ferraris need to hit, and sustain, 12200 RPM, and about 12600 at 340. Not sure the engine will like that.
They hit 326 Km/h by going just over 12000rpm. I don't think the engine can take more than that, so they probably adjusted the drag to equal power at that speed. They'll have hell gaining and defending positions, so they better be fast from the start!
Rivals, not enemies.

bill shoe
bill shoe

iHpled wrote:

Note the throttle graph, very often i see the Ferrari not on full throttle, but on 99%.. why?
Throttle position sensor is made by Gill and homologated by FIA :lol:

jagunx51

............!!!!

marcush.
marcush.

Jersey Tom wrote:
iHpled wrote:

Sensor calibrations aren't always perfect.
One might also use 100 % for other purposes .to detect a Special conditon ,teach in or diagnostics spring to mind.Of course it could be a lazy Engineer as well....

diffuser

hollus wrote:
hollus wrote:http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/89/4fyq.png

From this gear comparison, Ferrari is geared much shorter than all other top teams. They might be facing a top speed / DRS / slipstream problem that can make it difficult to overtake, and even more difficult to defend; if not already in Bahrain, then in China. Last year's top speed in China were about 320Km/h. This year more than 330 is to be expected. To be at 330Km/h in 8th gear, the Ferraris need to hit, and sustain, 12200 RPM, and about 12600 at 340. Not sure the engine will like that.
They hit 326 Km/h by going just over 12000rpm. I don't think the engine can take more than that, so they probably adjusted the drag to equal power at that speed. They'll have hell gaining and defending positions, so they better be fast from the start!
The engine can handle it. Just not enough fuel flow to generate more power up there...or maybe that's what you ment. Explains why Monty wanted to drop fuel flow limit.
The lower the gear ratio the higher the top speed, the more power required to accelerated at the same pace as a higher gear ratio.

PlatinumZealot

bgroovers wrote:Does the amount of effort and money that Merc have spent getting their new nose through the crash tests highlight the flawed design of the F14Ts nose. The concept of the two teams are closer than any other but the application is totally different. Merc have gone to huge lengths to remove any body work from above the front wing whilst Ferrari have the most "blocked" nose of all it seems.
Can anyone render a n F14T with the latest Merc nose?
Nope! The New Merc nose copies one of the concepts that the Ferrari nose had from the beginning: the nose tip is at the trailing edge of the front wing. So the Ferrari design was never flawed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

timbo
timbo

diffuser wrote:Doesn't matter which gear your in ..it matters how much throttle you have applied.
If you're at lower revs (below 10500) you would get less fuel flow.

stefan_
stefan_

China 2014 - Friday (18.04.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

diffuser

timbo wrote:
diffuser wrote:Doesn't matter which gear your in ..it matters how much throttle you have applied.

not necessarily, you could be in 1st gear at 50% throttle at 10.5k RPM going round a corner. Then go to 100% coming out of the corner (fuel consumption will increase just because you've gone full throttle) change to 2nd (RPM drop to 9k or something like that but you're still AT 100% throttle). There is no direct correlation between RPM and fuel consumption.

Boost
Boost

The fuel flow limit changes with RPM and doesn't max out at 100kg/hr until 10500rpm.

timbo
timbo

diffuser wrote:
timbo wrote:

not necessarily, you could be in 1st gear at 50% throttle at 10.5k RPM going round a corner. Then go to 100% coming out of the corner (fuel consumption will increase just because you've gone full throttle) change to 2nd (RPM drop to 9k or something like that but you're still AT 100% throttle). There is no direct correlation between RPM and fuel consumption.
You want to be 100% all the time down the straights. Fuel flow is defined by the rules.

PS I checked the screen caption and both cars are around 11100 rpm. I can't believe that there is such difference in gearing between two teams so that Ferrari @8th @11100 would be 15kph slower than Merc @7th @11100. I guess there is something wrong with FOM graphics. Maybe Ferrari reports the wrong gear.

speedy56
speedy56

timbo wrote:I guess there is something wrong with FOM graphics. Maybe Ferrari reports the wrong gear.
Could be, remember they had problem with showing 7th, instead of 8th in Aus and Mal

Redragon

speedy56 wrote:
timbo wrote:I guess there is something wrong with FOM graphics. Maybe Ferrari reports the wrong gear.
Could be, remember they had problem with showing 7th, instead of 8th in Aus and Mal
BBC are reporting they are just 3-4mph slower on the speed trap so I beleive that graphic is wrong, also on Mercedes thread they just posted a video that shows Mercedes doesn't have an 8th gear, so that changes the reading of the info on that image

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Mercedes doesn't use their 8th gear and instead just have their 7 ratios tuned like last year. They might manage to get into it at Monza.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)