Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diffuser

Re: Ferrari F14T

This is vey nice but I'd be surprised if this is the direction they go in. I suspect the onus for the nose change is the blown hubs. Those hubs have signicantly changed the airflow from the front and the nose now has to be adjusted to take that into account.
In that view, their nose will NOT be going in the same direction as Merc/Merc.

F1NAC

Pilatus wrote:
F1NAC wrote:don't know if anyone posted but there is open wheelhub in action

https://31.media.tumblr.com/bdb2fe04238 ... o8_500.gif

That's a smoke from brake discs/brake pads wear.
Car is under heavy braking, you can see it by the DRS flap closing.

And it can easily be visible whether the wheel hub is open or not.
yes but would dust follow the vortex in one moment(before the car is slowed down) ?

zioture
zioture

I noticed something strange reports from the FIA IN "Parc Ferme "

All team power by Ferrari have replaced the spark plugs in China The others do not, no one has changed ...
Why? which can 'be the problem?

AnthonyG

Perhaps (and I'm just guessing here) the delayed detonation for a qualifying engine map created too much soot on them (delaying for anti-lag)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Nickel
Nickel

Pilatus wrote:
F1NAC wrote:don't know if anyone posted but there is open wheelhub in action

https://31.media.tumblr.com/bdb2fe04238 ... o8_500.gif

That's a smoke from brake discs/brake pads wear.
Car is under heavy braking, you can see it by the DRS flap closing.

And it can easily be visible whether the wheel hub is open or not.
I'm quite sure that it's neither and rather that it's the y250 vortex spilling out in front of the rear tires. It's also a nice shot of the 2 rear wing vortices forming when drs closes.

Wayne DR
Wayne DR

zioture wrote:I noticed something strange reports from the FIA IN "Parc Ferme "

All team power by Ferrari have replaced the spark plugs in China The others do not, no one has changed ...
Why? which can 'be the problem?
Ferrari have done this every so far...

Also, China is the first race where Ferrari have not changed the exhaust manifolds on both cars in Parc Ferme before the race. I had assumed that they were running different tuned lengths (or tube sizes?) between Quali and the race to increase power output, but possibly not... (No need to save fuel in Quali!)

Kiril Varbanov

A bit of old news, but my longtime friends Formula1Blog.com from US has had Mike Evans, fuel project leader at Shell, as a guest to a podcast.
With regards to the turbo-split concept at Mercedes, he shares:
My understanding is that Ferrari's turbo and system are very similar to the Mercedes. I must admit I don't know that from gospel, but that's the word I've had. It is a similar type of approach. Whether it has been developed to the same degree or not, I am not sure, unfortunately.
Full conversation here - http://www.formula1blog.com/f1-news/dow ... ike-evans/

l4mbch0ps
l4mbch0ps

Wayne DR wrote: Also, China is the first race where Ferrari have not changed the exhaust manifolds on both cars in Parc Ferme before the race. I had assumed that they were running different tuned lengths (or tube sizes?) between Quali and the race to increase power output, but possibly not... (No need to save fuel in Quali!)
I thought this would violate parc ferme? How are they allowed to change such a large part in parc ferme? Even for reliability reasons that seems like a direct violation of parc ferme principals... and if you're suggesting they are doing it for a performance advantage then how is that allowed?

Wayne DR
Wayne DR

l4mbch0ps wrote:I thought this would violate parc ferme? How are they allowed to change such a large part in parc ferme? Even for reliability reasons that seems like a direct violation of parc ferme principals... and if you're suggesting they are doing it for a performance advantage then how is that allowed?
Direct quote from the 2014 Sporting Regs:

Any work not listed above may only be undertaken with the approval of the FIA technical delegate following a written request from the team concerned. It must be clear that any replacement part a team wishes to fit is similar in mass, inertia and function to the original. Any parts removed will be retained by the FIA...

A list of parts replaced with the specific agreement of the FIA technical delegate whilst cars are being held under parc fermé conditions will be published and distributed to all teams prior to the race.

The argument would be around "similar in function", or more specifically, the definition of "similar". Obviously it speaks to an intent.

I could quite easily argue that any exhaust manifold performs a similar function (and they would not actually look that different, so mass and inertia would also be the "similar")...

Blackout

Kiril Varbanov wrote:A bit of old news, but my longtime friends Formula1Blog.com from US has had Mike Evans, fuel project leader at Shell, as a guest to a podcast.
My understanding is that Ferrari's turbo and system are very similar to the Mercedes. I must admit I don't know that from gospel, but that's the word I've had. It is a similar type of approach. Whether it has been developed to the same degree or not, I am not sure, unfortunately.
I doubt that. All th pics we saw clearly show that the Ferrari and the Marussia have a big air box with a big air filter which are channeling air to the back of the engine... so the Ferrari compressor must be behind the engine...

rich1701
rich1701

Blackout wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:A bit of old news, but my longtime friends Formula1Blog.com from US has had Mike Evans, fuel project leader at Shell, as a guest to a podcast.
I doubt that. All th pics we saw clearly show that the Ferrari and the Marussia have a big air box with a big air filter which are channeling air to the back of the engine... so the Ferrari compressor must be behind the engine...
I heard Ted Kravitiz mention in the notebook that the turbine is located separately from the turbo on the Ferrari unit but not to the extent of the Mercedes. It's not a fully optimised approach.

f1316
f1316

I heard Ted Kravitiz mention in the notebook that the turbine is located separately from the turbo on the Ferrari unit but not to the extent of the Mercedes. It's not a fully optimised approach.
It's also what Andrew Benson's bbc article said on the subject - I.e that Ferrari clearly had the same idea but didn't go as far with it, perhaps for fear of not being able to control the vibration.

I personally get the impression that Ferrari felt there would be a higher rate of attrition this year and that good reliability would be worth a lot; seems as if those days are over though.

eslam1986
eslam1986

Blackout wrote:
no Ferrari put MGU-H between turbine and compressor but compressor set in the middle of engine not behind as Mercedes , i think the problem for this is vibration of the shaft that connect turbine to compressor , Mercedes have solution for that Ferrari not . in this pic you see that air box inlet go to middle of Ferrari engine where is compressor set .

Blackout

I believe the MGUH could be stuck between the T and C on the Ferraris but the C is clearly low behind the engine, not in the centrer.
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-c ... aruuu2.jpg

Pilatus

rich1701 wrote: I heard Ted Kravitiz mention in the notebook that the turbine is located separately from the turbo on the Ferrari unit but not to the extent of the Mercedes. It's not a fully optimised approach.

Something like this: