Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Ferrari F14T

ringo wrote:Slotted wings are more efficient in terms of L/D ratios.
Though there may be instances where it may not be true, considering the different kinds of drag, skin, form etc. that may be predominant and certain speeds. So yes in this case it may be for less drag, but not most of the time for slotted wings.
They aren't - Imagine the same wing without being devited into elements. It'll stall at higher speed, shedding both downforce and drag.

The elements are there to keep airflow attached and thus the downforce level consistent, but it comes at a price in terms of drag.

I even believe a non-slotted surface, as long as it doesn't stall, is more efficient since you don't sacrifice any surface for slots.

Ferrari lowered the angle of attack of the upper elements, lower the overall AoA of the entire wing. It could mean that the stalling treshold was pushed further up, allowing them to ditch one slot.
#AeroFrodo

wesley123

Sure, those slots have an effect on drag(as does everything). However, I do think that in this case, the increased(or reduced) drag is negligible due to the small size of this slot.

On larger areas, yes then it does make a difference. Teams sometimes opted for a 2-plane rear wing where a 3-plane wing was allowed.

So yes, it does have an effect on drag, however in these events I do think the effect is largely negligible .
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

stefan_

Germany - Thursday (17.07.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Bomber_Pilot

f300v10 wrote:New version of the front wing with only 1 slot in the mainplane:

Old:
http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 794918.jpg

New:
http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 794919.jpg
It's not new.

Silverstone wings:

Snelle Eddy

So again no blown wheel-nuts. This concept is abandoned then? Surprises me because if RB is testing with it, one might expect it to have certain benefits... :|

seinfeld

When are they going to develop that front wing? I think Marussia have more complex front wing then they do lol

hollowBallistix

seinfeld wrote:When are they going to develop that front wing? I think Marussia have more complex front wing then they do lol
Yeah, it's doing wonders for Marussia.... =D>

stefan_

Germany 2014 - Friday (18.7.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Hovepeter

did both drivers run with the same FW or did one of the drivers run the 2 slot FW, and the other the 3 slot FW? :?: :?:

Pilatus

Hovepeter wrote: can someone tell me why they are doing that? i heard that these slots helps the cars aero during cornering to get more efficient downforce is that right? is there anything these slots does that makes the car less efficient at a straight line and there for not suits hockenheim? sorry for the bad english.
wesley123 wrote:Those slots are in the wing to give a more consistent level of downforce. By getting more air under the wing the flow under the wing is more consistent, thus, there is less loss in downforce.

The wings change a little in that aspect. The one with one slot in the main plane also has the main plane raised overall, improving flow under the wing.

Changes like these (raising the mainplane or more slots in the wing) give more consistent levels of downforce at the expense of peak downforce.
turbof1 wrote: The elements are there to keep airflow attached and thus the downforce level consistent, but it comes at a price in terms of drag.

I even believe a non-slotted surface, as long as it doesn't stall, is more efficient since you don't sacrifice any surface for slots.

Ferrari lowered the angle of attack of the upper elements, lower the overall AoA of the entire wing. It could mean that the stalling treshold was pushed further up, allowing them to ditch one slot.

I can not say that I'm sure.... but from my POV - that slot in the mainplane is ommited not because of FW downforce, or FW downforce/drag ratio.
Slot less is because of managing underwing vortex, and airflow around front wheel(s).

Also - if you look closer, there is not only one slot less in the mainplane... the footplate kink/notch is less aggresive, too.

Like old folks say: A picture is worth thousand words.
Silverstone test, 10 days ago.

First run with a new FW, and Ferrari aero guys are looking for FW wake and airflow around front wheel.
Last edited by Pilatus on 18 Jul 2014, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.

Owen.C93

Why do they still run such massive brake ducts if they A: Don't run blown wheel nuts and B: Still fill the ducts with material to block them off.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

F1NAC

Is there a possibility that they run smaller holes at wheel nuts?

stefan_

Germany 2014 - Friday (19.07.2014)

jayeshrc

where did you get this picture from? how did kimi change from 14 to 17?

EDIT: oh wait, i'm guessing that's from the silverstone test and bianchi.

gary123

jayeshrc wrote:
where did you get this picture from? how did kimi change from 14 to 17?

EDIT: oh wait, i'm guessing that's from the silverstone test and bianchi.
7 to 17 ;) number 14 is Alonso's one.