Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
flyboy2160

Re: Ferrari F14T

The 2015 speculation stuff got moved to the Team thread.

Crucial_Xtreme

Image of the gearbox with the oil tank inside.

Crucial_Xtreme

How Marussia beat it's own engine supplier to this is beyond me but they did and it's obviously helping them. According to F1.com, Ferrari will have their own version for Spa.

Cuky

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:How Marussia beat it's own engine supplier to this is beyond me but they did and it's obviously helping them. According to F1.com, Ferrari will have their own version for Spa.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l349 ... d60c1f.jpg

As far as I understand it, Ferrari is using Marussia to test that solution and perfect it before they use it on their car.

Thunder

Cuky wrote: As far as I understand it, Ferrari is using Marussia to test that solution and perfect it before they use it on their car.
That's what i heard too.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

tranquility2k4

How can they update this when it's hardware not software? Is it on safety grounds and if so what are they????

Advino116

tranquility2k4 wrote:How can they update this when it's hardware not software? Is it on safety grounds and if so what are they????
I think it's possible because they are not changing the design of the exhaust system, just wrapping the pipes in heat resistant materials. There is no change in the hardware, the pipes are exactly the same as before.

emmepi27

what do you think about big/small engine cover vent question? Only temperature problem?

I try to give another point of view and explain it HERE (in italian):

Just a quote to show what i'm talking about:
In our opinion, this is the keystone: the aerodynamic advantages of the "fin" would be lower than the heat flow generated by the bigger vent. Therefore, the Ferrari always chooses the cover with the bigger vent (there are several versions) not so much for cooling requirements of the Power Unit, but to direct more heat to the back of the rear wing, improving its efficiency and giving more load on the rear. Without heat flow, wing fails to generate the same amount of load and F14T becomes more slippery at the rear.

wesley123

Cooling air is of lower energy and dirty because it went through drag-inducing coolers. You just want to keep that far away from downforce-generating parts.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

emmepi27

wesley123 wrote:Cooling air is of lower energy and dirty because it went through drag-inducing coolers. You just want to keep that far away from downforce-generating parts.
So, if what you write is correct, i don't understand why everybody keep the venting on the diffuser... (Mercedes and Red Bull in primis)

bhall II

As the temperature of air increases, its density decreases, which means its effect on airfoils becomes less potent (unless it's somehow energized, but I don't think that's applicable here).

I suspect teams like Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, Caterham, et al., extend the cooling vents as far aft as allowed by the rules in order to increase the efficiency of the diffuser through the creation of a large, low-pressure area that effectively increases size of the diffuser.

A diffuser is all about pressure recovery, i.e., decelerating and expanding air flow from under the car, and if you can create a "pocket" of low-pressure, low density air behind it, you can increase the area available for pressure recovery to take place before that air flow is returned to free-stream, ambient conditions.

Dream Theater

bhall II wrote:As the temperature of air increases, its density decreases, which means its effect on airfoils becomes less potent (unless it's somehow energized, but I don't think that's applicable here).

I suspect teams like Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, Caterham, et al., extend the cooling vents as far aft as allowed by the rules in order to increase the efficiency of the diffuser through the creation of a large, low-pressure area that effectively increases size of the diffuser.

A diffuser is all about pressure recovery, i.e., decelerating and expanding air flow from under the car, and if you can create a "pocket" of low-pressure, low density air behind it, you can increase the area available for pressure recovery to take place before that air flow is returned to free-stream, ambient conditions.
So, assuming what you're saying, emmepi27 might be right, especially now that there isn't beam wing aid.

wesley123

Placement of the exits on this years F1 cars are mainly to exit the air in the least effected region. Top side of the sidepod plus longer bodywork are used to manage pressure over the sidepod to reduce the lift.

Like said, you don't want cooling air to be involving in your aero as it brings no gains to the surfaces this air blows onto. It's dirty air that you generally just want to avoid.

Teams try to reduce cooling needs and reduce sidepod size so that the airflow can be directed over the bodywork where it can generate downforce, instead of create drag from the cooling system. If this cooling airflow really brought a gain, teams wouldn't try to reduce the size of the sidepods and make their cars as sleek as possible.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bhall II

Dream Theater wrote:So, assuming what you're saying, emmepi27 might be right, especially now that there isn't beam wing aid.
Directly? No, unless my impression of his analysis is wrong. There's no benefit that I can see to venting low-density air flow onto the wing. In fact, I think it might cause problems, because it would take energy away from air flow under the wing, potentially causing it to detach sooner than it should.

"Blowing" an aerodynamic surface requires air flow to be energized by something. Think of how EBDs utilized driven, exhaust energy to seal the outside of the diffuser.

Ferrari has blown the rear wing in the past, but it required the same exhaust energy.

That said, increasing the efficiency of the diffuser can't do anything but help the rear wing in an indirect way, because the two components work together. But, in this case, I think the impact on rear wing efficiency places a distant second to that of diffuser efficiency.

Crucial_Xtreme

Cuky wrote:

As far as I understand it, Ferrari is using Marussia to test that solution and perfect it before they use it on their car.
They've(Marussia) had the solution since Bahrain and have improved upon it since then. I don't buy that Marussia simply testing & perfecting it for Ferrari. Ferrari has the resources to make & test the exhaust cover without needing a guinea pig. It wouldn't be the first time a customer team has jumped ahead of Ferrari with particular updates here & there. Just my opinion.