Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
.poz

Re: Ferrari F14T

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Proof that the KERS is not in the Gearbox as some people in this thread had thought.
It's not the MGU-K, it's the MGU-H

BTW those draws at the end are true....

f300v10

How would the turbo provide power to an MGU-H in that position? You would need a complex series of gears and shafts to transfer the torque from the turbine shaft down to the MGU-H, which I find unlikely.

f300v10

Not a good view of it, but the F14T featured a new floor fence ahead of the rear tire cutout:

PlatinumZealot

.poz wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Proof that the KERS is not in the Gearbox as some people in this thread had thought.
It's not the MGU-K, it's the MGU-H

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/552 ... raripu.jpg

BTW those draws at the end are true....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5521387/engine.jpg
You shoot your self in the foot with your own diagram. In the drawing you posted it says "ERS-K" (MGU-K aka KERS) in that location. Not that I did not already know that... and by the way hanging off the backside of the engine is totally different from being part of the gearbox!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

.poz

PlatinumZealot wrote:
You shoot your self in the foot with your own diagram. In the drawing you posted it says "ERS-K" (MGU-K aka KERS) in that location. Not that I did not already know that... and by the way hanging off the backside of the engine is totally different from being part of the gearbox!
read again my post and look at the diagram: the ERS-H not K under the turbo

now, who shoot himself in the foot ?

r.t.1.n

Russland GP

stefan_

Russia 2014 - Thursday (09.10.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

f300v10

Has anyone else been surprised by the complete lack of development on the front wing of the F14T? Yes there were a few lower downforce variants for Spa and Monza, but the high downforce wing has not changed since the final pre-season test. They tested one modified version, but it never raced. Here is a shot from pre-season testing for comparison with those from Sochi:

trinidefender

f300v10 wrote:Has anyone else been surprised by the complete lack of development on the front wing of the F14T? Yes there were a few lower downforce variants for Spa and Monza, but the high downforce wing has not changed since the final pre-season test. They tested one modified version, but it never raced. Here is a shot from pre-season testing for comparison with those from Sochi:

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 275.01.jpg
Has Ferrari been one of the front end grip limited cars this season? Have they had bigger problems than front end aero this season? Answer that questions and then you'll have your answer to why they haven't changed their front high downforce wing this season.

Also, and this is something I never hear discussed, changing the whole front wing isn't the only way you can change the characteristics of the wing. They can alter and the angle of attack of the upper planes. The bit that nobody talks about, a big way for teams to change how a wing behaves is to physically change the camber lines and profiles of the detachable wing elements. These two reasons can make what seems like 1 wing be quite tuneable to different tracks.

f300v10

trinidefender wrote:
Has Ferrari been one of the front end grip limited cars this season? Have they had bigger problems than front end aero this season? Answer that questions and then you'll have your answer to why they haven't changed their front high downforce wing this season.

Also, and this is something I never hear discussed, changing the whole front wing isn't the only way you can change the characteristics of the wing. They can alter and the angle of attack of the upper planes. The bit that nobody talks about, a big way for teams to change how a wing behaves is to physically change the camber lines and profiles of the detachable wing elements. These two reasons can make what seems like 1 wing be quite tuneable to different tracks.
I did consider that Ferrari has more than adequate downforce at the front, they have been rear limited for several years now (2009 onward). And yes I know they can change the pitch of the flap to adjust the downforce level to balance the car. However, total front downforce is not the only goal of the front wing. It forms the flow field for the rest of the car. Most if not all the other teams have modified their front wings several times this year, with many of the changes seemingly aimed at better turning the flow around the front tires. Perhaps they got it just right on the first try? Not likely.

Having followed F1, and Ferrari in particular very closely for 15+ years, I can't recall as season where basically nothing changed on the front wing. I'm sure they have their reasons, but it is unusual.

Gianlu27

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Gianlu_DAle

"Life is about passion thank you for sharing mine" Forza Michael!

Crucial_Xtreme

Kimi running pitot tubes on both RWEP's today

They have a pitot tube on the neutral section of the FW as well.

Team making front suspension adjustments in FP

via Sutton Images

AfroDude41

Have Ferrari ever put a camera on the nose mounts?

lkm9719

f300v10 wrote:Has anyone else been surprised by the complete lack of development on the front wing of the F14T? Yes there were a few lower downforce variants for Spa and Monza, but the high downforce wing has not changed since the final pre-season test. They tested one modified version, but it never raced. Here is a shot from pre-season testing for comparison with those from Sochi:

Agreed , totally not change for front wing, may be the whole car aero concept is not for front end ........

diffuser

lkm9719 wrote:

Agreed , totally not change for front wing, may be the whole car aero concept is not for front end ........

I think it's cause there is a big difference in downforce from front to back that they can' t use any more downforce in the front.