Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pierce89

Re: Ferrari F14T

Pierce89 wrote:Its just a rumor that this is a correction of some design issue, its much more likely that their now trying to tailor the car more to Kimi's liking.
Wow! Someone got their feeling hurt and downvoted this? Funny!
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

diffuser

Pierce89 wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Its just a rumor that this is a correction of some design issue, its much more likely that their now trying to tailor the car more to Kimi's liking.
Pat Fry was quoted in saying that... (please see Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:45 pm) I wouldn't call it a rumour.

Crucial_Xtreme

I was unaware Ferrari were using heavier 6 piston brakes at the front & rear of the car.

via F1.com

marcush.

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:I was unaware Ferrari were using heavier 6 piston brakes at the front & rear of the car.

They are not using heavier stuff front and rear -they use the same Caliper front and rear -that´s how I read it

I find it surprising how Sauber can work a different Brakesystem when Ferrari is developing in this direction ...the rear brakes are too integral with the PU and that is the bit that hurt the Ferrari PU runners this year with twitchy cars under braking ....something is not just right in that area. Maybe the looooong wheelbase Marussia chose helped but getting consistenc<y in brake response must be the first goal.

Crucial_Xtreme

marcush. wrote:
They are not using heavier stuff front and rear -they use the same Caliper front and rear -that´s how I read it

I find it surprising how Sauber can work a different Brakesystem when Ferrari is developing in this direction ...the rear brakes are too integral with the PU and that is the bit that hurt the Ferrari PU runners this year with twitchy cars under braking ....something is not just right in that area. Maybe the looooong wheelbase Marussia chose helped but getting consistenc<y in brake response must be the first goal.
It says Ferrari "are employing heavier 6 piston calipers".

Pierce89

diffuser wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
Pat Fry was quoted in saying that... (please see Post Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:45 pm) I wouldn't call it a rumour.
Well Kim i said the opposite, and that they're not even new parts, so I would call it a rumour.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116693

Edit: I checked the post you mentioned and that article did not say the new suspension was a correction to design issue, so I don't get where you're coming from.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Crucial_Xtreme

Pierce89 wrote:
Edit: I checked the post you mentioned and that article did not say the new suspension was a correction to design issue, so I don't get where you're coming from.

Actually it does. Here is the original article about the new rear suspension. It says that after reviewing all data; track, simulation & wind tunnel data, Ferrari found an anomaly in the rear suspension. found a mechanical problem(with rear suspension) that accentuates a loss of traction out of corners"

This gets back to the posts the other day when someone said it was rumors & gossip. The article says Byrne, who periodically comes to Maranello to consult, found the problem. I do not believe its rumor or gossip for a couple of reasons. First is Giorgio Piola doesn't do rumors & gossip and secondly, Piola/OmniCorse are the ones who first broke the news of a modified rear suspension which obviously means they spoke with someone within the team who informed them about what happened. Otherwise I doubt anyone was going to spot the changes of the rear suspension.

Pat Fry Confirmed Kimi tested the revised suspension in Austin.

timbo

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:This gets back to the posts the other day when someone said it was rumors & gossip. The article says Byrne, who periodically comes to Maranello to consult, found the problem. I do not believe its rumor or gossip for a couple of reasons. First is Giorgio Piola doesn't do rumors & gossip and secondly, Piola/OmniCorse are the ones who first broke the news of a modified rear suspension which obviously means they spoke with someone within the team who informed them about what happened. Otherwise I doubt anyone was going to spot the changes of the rear suspension.
It was me calling this piece of info rumor. Well, unless it (Byrne involvement and "mistake" correction) is confirmed by someone directly from within the team it is by definition a rumor. Being rumor also doesn't mean it's a lie, so it might be truth as well.
But there are some things which make me skeptical about "error correction", if it was a correction and it would make a clear cut difference, wouldn't we see it used? And from what we've seen the actual geometry didn't change at all (not 100% sure on that, btw), which would contradict pick up points modification proposed in the article. It might be that they found inadequate stiffness, and the new pieces are reinforced, but why then they are not put to use?
It might be some evaluation of the new parts manufacturing technology, maybe they are trying lighter/stiffer materials.
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Pat Fry Confirmed Kimi tested the revised suspension in Austin.
We've seen that, didn't we?

BTW interesting looking calipers. What is the manufacturing process? Are they cast and then machined?

Morteza

Formula1.com
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Crucial_Xtreme

Gary Anderson on the new rear suspension used in Brazil.

via AutoSport

zioture

F1 NEWS TECHNOLOGY - 2ND FURTHER SUSPENSION FERRARI.

READ ALL https://translate.google.it/translate?s ... t=&act=url

SiLo

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Gary Anderson on the new rear suspension used in Brazil.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l349 ... 14bed1.jpg
via AutoSport
This pretty much sounds like one of the fundamental problems they have had all year. Imagine the brain fart moment when Byrne entered the factory and said "Guys, why is there a lack of dynamic camber at the rear?"
Felipe Baby!

Harsha

SiLo wrote:

via AutoSport
This pretty much sounds like one of the fundamental problems they have had all year. Imagine the brain fart moment when Byrne entered the factory and said "Guys, why is there a lack of dynamic camber at the rear?"
Imagine the expression of Byrne when the factory people asked him what does mean by dynamic camber we only run general camber :lol:

TechF1

via AutoSport
Ehm... #-o
There isn't absolutely nothing new on rear suspension but little aero tweak and sensors. Just look at the photos, no geometry change, the suspension arm is "connected" at the same height in the same place, maybe a different setup. And is totally useless for SF test a "new rear suspension" on a car with totally different mass distribution... or the 2015 car will be absolutely the same. Also Piola noticed that it's just a bit different in "shape".

PlatinumZealot

TechF1 wrote:

via AutoSport
Ehm... #-o
There isn't absolutely nothing new on rear suspension but little aero tweak and sensors. Just look at the photos, no geometry change, the suspension arm is "connected" at the same height in the same place, maybe a different setup. And is totally useless for SF test a "new rear suspension" on a car with totally different mass distribution... or the 2015 car will be absolutely the same. Also Piola noticed that it's just a bit different in "shape".
The suspension is different. It may not be new - granted it could be a piece from a previous race this year, but Kimi's car definitely had a different upper control arm. I disagree with Garry though.. I think the arm is actually longer and set at the same height, not as low as he makes it out to be. I think it is to reduce camber change, not increase it as he says.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏