Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
muelte

Re: Ferrari F14T

nacho wrote:Any proof on the claims that Ferrari was very good on downshift's in Jerez? Seamless downshifts?
I was in Jerez on thusday and I can confirm that the Ferrari was almost silent when downshifing. All you can hear is a subtle whistle, no detonations, no audible up revving, no raw engine noise (btw Alonso looked very fast goint into and through the chicane, even since the very first laps, and it was his first contact with the card)

In fact, it sounded the more 'hybrid' of all cars, and by quite a large margin. When watching the car coming in front of you, it was almost silent, up to the point that sometimes I didn't notice it was coming by if I was not looking at the track. Only when looking at it from behind when it was getting away it had a really audible noise, but it wasn't close to Mercedes engines.

This difference is not really as noticeable in the videos (I recorded and uploaded some here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1_TrtqRLo8) as it was live, believe me, up to the point that eveybody was upset at the Ferrari being so quiet (in general, everybody agreed that V6 engines lacks 'grunt' and decibles, but Ferrari was the worst in this)

The Sauber also was quieter than Mercedes powered cars, but not at Ferrari's level. And their downshifts weren't as 'clean' either.

Don't know if it was due to RPMs, engine mappings, electric energy harvesting & delivering settings or whatever.
Last edited by muelte on 02 Feb 2014, 10:37, edited 2 times in total.

muelte

Notice the downshift sound of McLaren at beginning and Ferrari's at 00:21. In the middle a Sauber can be heard as well.

And it was like that all day, not only a few laps.

radosav

You guys can judge better about this video! Is downshift here much louder ? Maybe Ferrari tested more options by using diferent combinations of ERS and engine maps !
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIZiB9Ka ... ata_player[/youtube]

Ls1toy

Is it possible they use over run fuel cut and rely on the electric motor to rev match the engine on the downshift.

muelte

radosav wrote:You guys can judge better about this video! Is downshift here much louder ? Maybe Ferrari tested more options by using diferent combinations of ERS and engine maps !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIZiB9Ka ... ata_player
I would say downshift is almost silent in that video too. Almost like in mine. Compare it to 00:01 in my video (McLaren)

Coefficient

muelte wrote:
nacho wrote:Any proof on the claims that Ferrari was very good on downshift's in Jerez? Seamless downshifts?
I was in Jerez on thusday and I can confirm that the Ferrari was almost silent when downshifing. All you can hear is a subtle whistle, no detonations, no raw engine noise (btw Alonso looked very fast goint into and through the chicane, even since the very first laps, and it was his first contact with the card)

In fact, it sounded the more 'hybrid' of all cars, and by quite a large margin. When watching the car coming in front of you, it was almost silent, up to the point that sometimes I didn't notice it was coming by if I was not looking at the track. Only when looking at it from behind when it was getting away it had an audible noise, but it wasn't close to Mercedes engines.

This difference is not really as noticeable in the videos (I recorded and uploaded some here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1_TrtqRLo8) as it was live, believe me, up to the point that eveybody was upset at the Ferrari being so silent (in general, everybody agreed that V6 engines lacks 'grunt' and decibles, but Ferrari was the worst in this)

The Sauber also was more silent than Mercedes powered cars, but not at Ferrari's level. And their downshifts weren't as 'clean' either.

Don't know if it was due to RPMs, engine mappings, electric energy harvesting & delivering settings or whatever.
More silent? That's not possible. Silent means completely without sound. You must mean quieter.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Crucial_Xtreme

Browsing through the images from Jerez I spotted a cooling inlet that popped up out of nowhere that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Matt Somers spotted one on top of the sidepod but this one is at the floor.

Here is the F138 solution from 2013

Instead of an outlet in 2014, it seems it may potentially be an inlet.

Additional image here

They didn't use this inlet all the time so it doesn't seem as though it's necessary for cooling. I think it's just one of many different small solutions the team will be trying out. I apologize for poor photoshop job.

ringo

Ls1toy wrote:Is it possible they use over run fuel cut and rely on the electric motor to rev match the engine on the downshift.
It may also be their brake by wire working in conjunction with the KERS.
The downshifts are quite soft as you say, like there is no rev increase to compensate for the lower gear. Almost as if the gearbox is in neutral to the engine and the KERS is geared to the transmission and not the engine.

Interesting, could be another explanation for it.
For Sure!!

Mui
Mui

ringo wrote:
Ls1toy wrote:Is it possible they use over run fuel cut and rely on the electric motor to rev match the engine on the downshift.
The downshifts are quite soft as you say, like there is no rev increase to compensate for the lower gear. Almost as if the gearbox is in neutral to the engine and the KERS is geared to the transmission and not the engine.

Is that legal? Would that mean a separate shaft connecting the mgu-k to the gearbox? I've always thought mgu-k would be bolted on to the front of the engine and connected straight to the crank shaft.

wuzak

Mui wrote:
ringo wrote:

Is that legal? Would that mean a separate shaft connecting the mgu-k to the gearbox? I've always thought mgu-k would be bolted on to the front of the engine and connected straight to the crank shaft.
No, it is not legal. The MGU-K must be attached to the engine's crankshaft.

That is not to say that during downshifts they cut fuel and spark and use the MGU-K to match revs (driving the crank).

BorisTheBlade

Coefficient wrote: More silent? That's not possible. Silent means completely without sound. You must mean quieter.
Not everyone here is a native speaker. I think the context made clear. No need to nitpick.

muelte

True, I'm native Spanish speaker. Edited the post anyway to make it clearer. I'm sure it wasn't my only mistake anyway, my English us far from perfect :-)

Coefficient

BorisTheBlade wrote:
Coefficient wrote: More silent? That's not possible. Silent means completely without sound. You must mean quieter.
Not everyone here is a native speaker. I think the context made clear. No need to nitpick.
On the contrary, a silent gear change implies illegal technology is in use such as CVT. We wouldn't want to get excited about something like that if it wasn't true.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Ferrari2183

Coefficient wrote:
BorisTheBlade wrote:
On the contrary, a silent gear change implies illegal technology is in use such as CVT. We wouldn't want to get excited about something like that if it wasn't true.
What are you on about? Upshifts have been silent for a long time via the seamless shift. It is quite possible that this has been extended to downshifts.

muelte

Don't know if it was posted before. Gary Anderson wrote about this:

"The Ferrari F1 F14 T sounds a lot different to the other cars under braking. Why is this?

It is incredibly smooth on the downchanges. Everyone else is blipping the throttle a lot more and it's difficult to say why the Ferrari is so smooth in comparison.

All the cars have a zero torque loss upshift, seamless shift, but nobody has done that on the downshifts. With the ERS recharging from the rear wheels and the need to downchange under braking, it now might be a good idea.

We don't know for sure, but perhaps Ferrari is ahead of the game with such technology."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112367