Toro Rosso STR9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thatsnotgonewell
Thatsnotgonewell

Re: Toro Rosso STR9 Renault

Godius wrote:
Thatsnotgonewell wrote:Here's the new low drag rear wing for Spa. It looks similar to their previous rear wing but the upper element looks to be trimmed down.

From Omnicorse:
http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... banana.jpg
I don't think that this is an altered version, this is just the normal version without the gurney flap installed.
I disagree, look up just a few posts at the Germany rear wing. The old rear wing had a straight trim across the top, this has a definite curve. But it is possible that it could be the way it has always been trimmed underneath the gurney flap, we just never really see them without it.

Godius

Thatsnotgonewell wrote:
Godius wrote:
Thatsnotgonewell wrote:Here's the new low drag rear wing for Spa. It looks similar to their previous rear wing but the upper element looks to be trimmed down.

From Omnicorse:
http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... banana.jpg
I don't think that this is an altered version, this is just the normal version without the gurney flap installed.
I disagree, look up just a few posts at the Germany rear wing. The old rear wing had a straight trim across the top, this has a definite curve. But it is possible that it could be the way it has always been trimmed underneath the gurney flap, we just never really see them without it.
It is an optical illusion. Here's a (older version with 2 slot gap separators) picture of the rw with and without the gurney strip just for comparison (gp of china & malaysia) Image

here's a picture of the silverstone test (single lot gap separator)

Godius

FP1 - Belgium, click to enlarge:

Thunder

Monza 2014 Wednesday via AMuS:

Barely any upper Flap left.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Morteza

Formula1.com
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

stefan_
stefan_

Singapore 2014 (Thursday 17.09.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Morteza

Toro Rosso's new nose for Suzuka:

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

Morteza

Japan 2014 - Friday - 03/10/2014

auto-motor-und-sport.de

zioture
zioture

NEW Nose comparison

turbof1

Very extreme. It takes the concept of Red Bull to another level. The kiel is extended that far out to decrease the blockage the kiel represents when in yaw.
#AeroFrodo

zioture
zioture

It seems to have been modified chassis of the Toro Rosso for S-duct

F1T
Administrative bot

Toro Rosso adds S-duct in new nose

Toro Rosso adds S-duct in new nose - Development blog

Toro Rosso have come to Japan with a new nose cone on their STR9, which notably also included an S-duct inspired by Red Bull Racing. The car's new nose is much thinner on the lower side, now featuring a short bulb at the very front to meet the regulations while minimizing the obstruction to airflow underneath the nose cone. The previous 'finger nose' was much thicker and was an essential part of the front crash structure, whereas the new one has its crash structure starting further back.

While the introduction of this nose cone was originally planned for the Singapore GP, the design is a remarkable effort, knowing that none of this development will be transferable onto next year's car, due to the modified regulations that aim to prevent these nose extensions.

The S-duct on the other hand may very well provide the team with useful information for its 2015 development programme, as nothing in the rules prevents any such duct this year or the next. The S-duct, named for the shape of the duct inside the nose cone, bleeds some air off the boundary layer on the lower side of the nose and directs it to a vent on the upper side. In Toro Rosso's case, the vent is noticeable exaxtly behind the 'Cepsa' sponsorship logo.

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

Gianlu27

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Gianlu_DAle

"Life is about passion thank you for sharing mine" Forza Michael!