Caterham CT-05 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pierce89

Re: Caterham CT-05 Renault

Any ideas if any memorobilia sights sell one of those machined aluminum jigs to hold the front bulkhead?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

JDC123
JDC123

Why is it that caterham are using to different version of their front wing. The one which kobayashi uses with the huge cascade and the smaller one that Ericsson uses. I remember reading there was only one of the updated front wings available when it was brought to melbourne, but why are they still using the older version now. Could it be financially they don't want to produce more of them on there reduced budget, as I seem to remember with HRT towards the later part of 2012 they appeared to be using parts from all sorts of different seasons.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

All the guessing about the new nose and 2015 is in the Team thread. Just real car parts here.

matt21

First computer graphic of the new nose:

But looks still like the old one, the longer I look at it, to be honest.

Raleigh
Raleigh

It does look like the old nose...

Perhaps it is only a new vanity panel?

matt21

AFAIK the Caterham nose has a separate crash structure. So they will retain the inner structure in order to avoid a new crash test to be done.

mbchc
mbchc

So , they just smoothed out the nose tip a bit to crate a "new nose" :roll: Or we just wait for the real thing come out 8)
Mercedes AMG Petronas
AMG|||

lio007

adrianjordan

Well it looks less horrific....if that's something to aim for...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Petroltorque
Petroltorque

That is actually a new engine cover and side pod with a smaller coke bottle. Must be part of the update.
I don't think it's a new nose. It's simply a new vanity panel. Caterham are locked into the low, narrow nose they had at launch unless they change the crash structure.

Morteza

Caterham's new nose:

auto-motor-und-sport.de
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

timbo
timbo

I like it

F1T
Administrative bot

Caterham debuts new nose cone

Caterham debuts new nose cone - Development blog

It's a God's gift, Caterham's new nose cone on the CT05. While the visual appearance may not have been the top priority for the team in terms of aerodynamic development, the modified nose cone is a whole lot better looking that before. True, it could still be better, but such as the rules that strange looking noses are currently a good solution to keep airflow underneath the nose.

In any case, Caterham did not change much to the concept of its car, retaining the matte black cone that forms the front crash structure. Above that however is now a much more elegant structure, slightly rounded at the top and including a vanity panel to create a smooth, continuous upper surface towards the monocoque. With the team not modifying the front suspension, it's good to see how much higher the nose is around the upper wishbone, while at the bottom, at the connection point of the pull rod, the bodywork is more rounded.

pastaracing
pastaracing

Both cars run with new (better looking) nose, new side pods and new enginge cover.
Lotterers car have also a new floor.
Ericsson runs a complete new chassie for Spa, due to his last crash. This is a bit lighter but on the other hand they have to run with the old floor. That because the lack of time if I understand right.

They also have a new exhaust, new engine map and a different fuel.

All according to the Swedish commentator Eje Elgh who is well uppdated in the Caterham team.

pastaracing
pastaracing

[quote="SectorOne"]....
News from FP1. They changed Marcus brakes and adjust the brake bias in the wrong way, therefore the spin just before the timed lap. He had also problem with the fuel sensor and had lack of power.