Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Doubt it, I don't see a reason why teams would opt for such a design.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PhillipM

Twin tusks are a waste of time, even Lotus admitted they were having flow issues in yaw they didn't anticipate with the front of the car last weekend, I'll eat my hat if Merc switches to that.

Harsha

A Bit of off topic but do any one know what is W in W05 name

BorisTheBlade

"Wagen" which is a German noun for car.

Cocles

And it isn't just for their current grand prix cars. Merc uses a W code for all of their models, as well as their race cars in the past. The car in my avatar is a W196 streamliner.

PlatinumZealot

So accroding to google translate the car's name in its fazah tongue is "Wagen nun fünf"

Sounds cool or what?

:lol: :lol:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

andrewf1

n smikle wrote:So accroding to google translate the car's name in its fazah tongue is "Wagen nun fünf"

Sounds cool or what?

:lol: :lol:
Null, not nun :)

trinidefender

n smikle wrote:
Helios wrote:AM&S reports Mercedes have failed the crash test for their new nose five times.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bild ... how_item=3
Mercedes will aus Angst vor Red Bull das Entwicklungstempo hochhalten. Immer noch wird an der kurzen Nase gebastelt. Scheint ein echter Zeitgewinn zu sein, wenn sie mal den Crashtest schafft. Sie fiel aber zum fünften Mal durch.
Interesting if true. Mercedes must be absolutely 100% sure the new nose would give them a huge benefit if they tried so often.

Guys, listen to me. The simple compact hoover design wouldn't fail so many tests. The twin tusk nose is coming!
What makes you so sure that they would opt for a twin tusk design?

ledzep4pm

Guys, listen to me. The simple compact hoover design wouldn't fail so many tests. The twin tusk nose is coming!
They already have what is basically a twin tusk design, they have done what Somers predicted some teams would do. They just have a big vanity panel to make it look more conventional and control the flow properly.

If you look the flat "nose tip" is a lot higher than what the rules dictate (compare it to Ferrari's).

If you look at that advert that was released just after AUS it showed a lot higher nose tip, this might just be artistic license tho'. I presume there newer/more complex nose is more drooped to move the apparent nose tip higher to give more underbody airflow.
Twitter @ledzep4pm

Holm86

PhillipM wrote:Twin tusks are a waste of time, even Lotus admitted they were having flow issues in yaw they didn't anticipate with the front of the car last weekend, I'll eat my hat if Merc switches to that.
Did they really?? Do you have a source?? Because I wrote about something Scalabroni said about the twin tusk design would be bad under yaw and nobody would believe it.

ecapox

Actually, I think some called Scalabroni an idiot.

He was VERY specific about yaw conditions but most people here blew it off because he said some other things which, more than likely due to language issues, didn't make sense.

smlbstcbr

I think there's no new FW. I think they want other teams to lose focus or just annoy them.

Drewd11

ledzep4pm wrote:
They already have what is basically a twin tusk design, they have done what Somers predicted some teams would do. They just have a big vanity panel to make it look more conventional and control the flow properly.

If you look the flat "nose tip" is a lot higher than what the rules dictate (compare it to Ferrari's).

If you look at that advert that was released just after AUS it showed a lot higher nose tip, this might just be artistic license tho'. I presume there newer/more complex nose is more drooped to move the apparent nose tip higher to give more underbody airflow.
Nope, not a twin tusk.

From Ham's crash in Jerez. The nose tip is exactly where the rules dictate.

MercAMGF1Fans

According to Costa, keep an eye out for development round the rear brakes area..
speaking to AMuS
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 08790.html
Because the engine when charging the batteries mitbremst more than before, the rear brakes have less work This results in smaller cooling ducts this extra space we can use for aerodynamics...

aleks_ader

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:According to Costa, keep an eye out for development round the rear brakes area..
speaking to AMuS
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 08790.html
Because the engine when charging the batteries mitbremst more than before, the rear brakes have less work This results in smaller cooling ducts this extra space we can use for aerodynamics...
Such a PR stuff. Battery (HGU-K. ES, converters) still radiate decent amount of heat. So argument of "lower" heat demands fall over the clif.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna