Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Emerson.F

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

theformula

Damn! Was just about to post this, you beat me to it haha!
Hamilton's blessed with an ability to make a car do pretty much anything he wants - Mark Hughes

Owen.C93

Although it's a good example of how being a manufacturer is an advantage, it's worth pointing out that the teams are at liberty to design their own exhaust manifolds as can be seen with all the other engines and their customers. I'm surprised Mercedes HPE even gave the other teams a copy of their exhausts at all.

Assuming that Mercedes haven't made an unprecedented contract where the other teams have to use their spec exhaust manifolds.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

l4mbch0ps

I think the teams are obviously at liberty within the rules to make their own exhaust manifolds, however they might be included in the PU package. They're a little bit more important of a part of the package in a turbo charged engine than NA, so they might be trickier to design. Teams might have jumped at that saying "oh great, we can divert our design focus elsewhere if they will design it for us" and now are kicking themselves.

PlatinumZealot

Owen.C93 wrote:Although it's a good example of how being a manufacturer is an advantage, it's worth pointing out that the teams are at liberty to design their own exhaust manifolds as can be seen with all the other engines and their customers. I'm surprised Mercedes HPE even gave the other teams a copy of their exhausts at all.

Assuming that Mercedes haven't made an unprecedented contract where the other teams have to use their spec exhaust manifolds.
At first glance there is nothing super special about the humble log manifold so it was overlooked by the other teams. Sometimes engineers think too hard to solve simple problems and cause bigger more complex problems.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

l4mbch0ps

It's also possible that other teams had anticipated required higher levels of efficiency re: the exhaust tuning to maintain turbo velocity. The split scroll Mercedes solution has shortened the tubing enough to potentially render the spaghetti manifolds obsolete perhaps?

timbo

l4mbch0ps wrote:It's also possible that other teams had anticipated required higher levels of efficiency re: the exhaust tuning to maintain turbo velocity. The split scroll Mercedes solution has shortened the tubing enough to potentially render the spaghetti manifolds obsolete perhaps?
I think this might be it.

MercAMGF1Fans

That's why Force India were testing new sidepods in bahrain

Godius

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:
That's why Force India were testing new sidepods in bahrain
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/ ... 24c6b8.jpg
The side pods are more or less the same in comparison to what they ran before, just check out the SFI-F1 thread. Force India will introduce a redesigned chassis in a couple of races (Canada). Force India doest have money to get priority manufacturing, that's why it takes them so long. From what I've read, McLaren are introducing a new Package for this weekend (China). I don't know about Williams.

MercAMGF1Fans

Ah ok.. thanks.. btw.. got plenty more pics from the bahrain test.. was a marshal at the track.. :-)

NewtonMeter

l4mbch0ps wrote:I think the teams are obviously at liberty within the rules to make their own exhaust manifolds, however they might be included in the PU package. They're a little bit more important of a part of the package in a turbo charged engine than NA, so they might be trickier to design. Teams might have jumped at that saying "oh great, we can divert our design focus elsewhere if they will design it for us" and now are kicking themselves.
I think it's worth keeping mind that this year, with turbos, the exhausts are much more a part of the operation of the engine than before - I.e, it's used to drive the turbo (well, the gases are, not exhausts themselves).
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

trinidefender

NewtonMeter wrote:
l4mbch0ps wrote:I think the teams are obviously at liberty within the rules to make their own exhaust manifolds, however they might be included in the PU package. They're a little bit more important of a part of the package in a turbo charged engine than NA, so they might be trickier to design. Teams might have jumped at that saying "oh great, we can divert our design focus elsewhere if they will design it for us" and now are kicking themselves.
I think it's worth keeping mind that this year, with turbos, the exhausts are much more a part of the operation of the engine than before - I.e, it's used to drive the turbo (well, the gases are, not exhausts themselves).
Actually that is inncorrect. Before the exhaust manifolds were crucial to the tuning the engines powerband. The exhaust pulses had to be timed to be in phases to not interfere with the exhaust flows of other cylinders, also in a certain rpm range the exhaust headers create a situation where the exhaust pulses are out of phase and actually help to suck the gases out of the cylinder. It gets a lot more complicated than that but that is the general concept.

With a turbocharged engine back pressures are much higher as a result of the turbo. However because of the turbocharger and associated back pressure there is not as much influence by the pressure pulses leaving the cylinder.

Emerson.F

theformula wrote:
Damn! Was just about to post this, you beat me to it haha!
Touche :wink:
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Pierce89

turbof1 wrote:Mercedes bent the nose in into a u shape. The mathmatical middle point of that nose floats on the maximum 185mm height point. So this isn't a twin tusk as the whole of the crash structure is involved.

When the nose came out I was thinking it was it was a twin tusk combined with clever use of the vanity panel. Then hamilton crashed and it turned out to be a structural normal nose.
It still uses the wing pillars as part of the "nose"(crash structure). that's not "structurally normal" compared to the previous norm in f1.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

aleks_ader

Pierce89 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Mercedes bent the nose in into a u shape. The mathmatical middle point of that nose floats on the maximum 185mm height point. So this isn't a twin tusk as the whole of the crash structure is involved.

When the nose came out I was thinking it was it was a twin tusk combined with clever use of the vanity panel. Then hamilton crashed and it turned out to be a structural normal nose.
It still uses the wing pillars as part of the "nose"(crash structure). that's not "structurally normal" compared to the previous norm in f1.
So? Obviously it passed the crash test. So in my opinion there is no problem. Just smart interpretation of rules, that is all.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna