Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mbchc

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

ismail1991 wrote:I think nose is different than the one used in previous races
http://i.imgur.com/rhZdVgq.jpg
Compared to this, we can see they make the gap bigger between the pylons. Likewise, they did it in W03 and W02
It's seems rounder at the edge, and the nose tip was a little bit taller again? :roll:
Mercedes AMG Petronas
AMG|||

SectorOne

I think they have bent the front wing pylons outwards a bit. Get more air under the nose.

Nose is also way more concave as someone mentioned, small gif i made, not perfect but will do.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

emmepi27

So, it's not the best pic, but we can confirm that they have "new" nose, more rounded in the lower part (note the shadow on the silver)
Last edited by emmepi27 on 22 Aug 2014, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.

Holm86

SectorOne wrote:I think they have bent the front wing pylons outwards a bit. Get more air under the nose.

Nose is also way more concave as someone mentioned, small gif i made, not perfect but will do.

http://gifmaker.me/files/download/home/ ... zszVvX.gif
Definitely a whole new nose cover. There is also much more curvature from the bulkhead to the nosetip. It can also be seen on the camera mounts where the camera mount "stalks" is shorter.

Great gif SectorOne

SectorOne

thanks, watching the stream right now and got a nice front view of the "hole" and it looks like the same width.
So only a more rounded nose and some modification on the sides of it.

"It can also be seen on the camera mounts where the camera mount "stalks" is shorter."

Yep good point.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

George-Jung

SectorOne wrote:I think they have bent the front wing pylons outwards a bit. Get more air under the nose.

http://gifmaker.me/files/download/home/ ... zszVvX.gif
Camera mounts are also different.. due the nose being 'higher'..

Nicola11

Good shot at the new designed front of the W05 Hybrid :)

SectorOne

Now the question is what does the new nose do? From a straight to concave surface and a bigger cutout on the sides.

RicerDude

I say it could perhaps be a Low downforce, low drag nose like the RB9 had last year in Spa/Monza. The rounded edges should reduce drag and lower the pressure build up on top of the nose maybe slightly reducing downforce produced by the front end.

ncassi22

It's more convex at the top than concave at the bottom. My guess is it reduces aero pressure at the nose tip.

*edit* aka what ricerdude just said

gray41

So it might only be seen here and Monza?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

zioture

New nose other comparision

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PlatinumZealot

So that is three different noses and we are only half way through the season.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

stefan_

Belgium 2014 - Friday (22.08.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985