Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zioture

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Update in mokey seat mercedes

SectorOne

stefan_ wrote:Singapore 2014 (Thursday 17.09.2014)
So they are diverting air down then below it up? Any particular reason?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

ncassi22

I'm going with it prevents the pressure buildup diagonally infront of the rear elements of the monkey seat from interfering with the main wing.

Holm86

SectorOne wrote:
stefan_ wrote:Singapore 2014 (Thursday 17.09.2014)
http://i.imgur.com/3MzoSv0.jpg
So they are diverting air down then below it up? Any particular reason?
My guess is that the narrowing created by the upper element diverting the air down accelerates the air causing a low pressure zone just in front and above the monkey seat, being able to draw the exhaust fumes up even steeper helping them give the desired effect on the rear wing.
Maybe that's not a too good explanation, but hope you get what I'm saying.

Per
Per

If anything, it generates higher pressure above and in front of the monkey seat. But it is very hard to judge this outside the context of the bodywork and exhaust. It seems to me that they want to 'delay' the upwards deflection of the exhaust gases to an area further to the rear (that's more or less what ncassi22 suggested as well).

trinidefender

The theory about blowing the rear wing with the exhaust and the monkey seat helping is all well and fine but that only helps when the massflow and velocity of the exhaust gasses exiting are at their highest. When happens when the driver suddenly cuts the throttle? The mass flow goes down seriously and the reduction the fuel being burned reduces the energy of the exhaust flow drastically. You now suddenly have a case where the rear wing is not being helped anymore and is much more suceptable to stall. Not only that but then the normal airflow has to settle flowing on the rear wing. This is the point when the rear wing is most likely to stall. Add to all of this that because of the turbocharger this year the exhaust has a lot less energy anyway than last year.

Add to that the time when the driver most often lifts his foot off of the throttle rapidly as at the end of the straight, the exact moment you DONT WANT the rear wing to stall.

Therefore because of this my theory is that the monkey seats over the exhaust are there mostly to provide that extra little bit of downforce by the fast exhaust gasses flowing under the monkey seat.

With the case specific to Mercedes where they have this top element above he monkey seat I wouldn't be surprised if it is actually then to STOP the monkey seat and exhaust gasses from interfering with the rear wing to much.

zioture

other pic of new monkey seat Via AMUS

SectorOne

Interesting stuff thanks!
So it seems the majority think it sort of deflects the upwash away from the rear wing a bit to not cause too much interference?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Holm86

Don't get why you would deflect the upwash away from the rear wing. The whole point is to help extract the air from the diffuser AND help the flow stay attached to the underside of the rear wing. Things the beam wing took care of before.

Just_a_fan

It's probably being used to clean up a flow structure from the airbox spine or the turbo cooling chimney outlet before it interacts with the monkey seat/exhaust plume.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SectorOne

Holm86 wrote:Don't get why you would deflect the upwash away from the rear wing. The whole point is to help extract the air from the diffuser AND help the flow stay attached to the underside of the rear wing. Things the beam wing took care of before.
But as trinidefender mentions you have the issue with the exhaust gases only working when you´re on power.
So when you need it the most it doesn´t really work as intended, if that´s the intent that is.

The beam wing worked all the time regardless of throttle position (but of course within the downforce generating boundaries of the velocity of the car)

Holm86

SectorOne wrote:
Holm86 wrote:Don't get why you would deflect the upwash away from the rear wing. The whole point is to help extract the air from the diffuser AND help the flow stay attached to the underside of the rear wing. Things the beam wing took care of before.
But as trinidefender mentions you have the issue with the exhaust gases only working when you´re on power.
So when you need it the most it doesn´t really work as intended, if that´s the intent that is.

The beam wing worked all the time regardless of throttle position (but of course within the downforce generating boundaries of the velocity of the car)
EBD's was still an advantage after cold/hot blowing was prohibited. And I still think using the exhaust to benefit the rear wing works.

trinidefender

Wouldn't be surprised of Just_a_fan is the closest.

Looking at the pics again I realised something. The shark fin ends just in front of that flat flap above the monkey seat. Sometimes, and especially under yaw conditions, there will be vortices coming off or that shark fin. The flat plane may be simply to tame these vortices from negatively impacting the monkey seat flow.

trinidefender

Holm86 wrote:
SectorOne wrote:

EBD's was still an advantage after cold/hot blowing was prohibited. And I still think using the exhaust to benefit the rear wing works.
This year the engines are turbocharged. They design the turbocharger turbines to extract the maximum energy possible from the exhaust flow reducing the energy of the exhaust flow to a large degree. Add to that that with these engines being much more efficient less (to none) excess fuel goes down the exhaust pipe reducing the excess heat and mass flow in the exhaust.

This fairly large degree of exhaust energy reduction would probably have a large impact on how effective the exhaust blowing the rear wing would be. Not to mention at a high speed i am sure that the exhaust gasses would be blown out the way. The angle between the exhaust to get up to the rear wing looks to large.

emmepi27

Very nice shot from AMUS