Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FW17

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

emmepi27 wrote:Very nice shot from AMUS
Is that floor legal? how is it that the floor is allowed to slope down at the junction of the step? it is supposed to be 50 mm step but at that point it is no more than 25.

stefan_
stefan_

Singapore 2014 - Thursday (17.09.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

marcush.
marcush.

WilliamsF1 wrote:
emmepi27 wrote:Very nice shot from AMUS
Is that floor legal? how is it that the floor is allowed to slope down at the junction of the step? it is supposed to be 50 mm step but at that point it is no more than 25.
where do you spot the step in this picture? The floor dimensions are specified for the surface facing the ground ...we cannnot se this at all in this picture and there is no reg specifying floor thickness really (plank ,yes ) ...

what you see here is no more than core material covered by carbon fibre .No need to run the core material full thickness across the width of the floor here so they keep thickness for rigidity in some areas and machine down the core in other areas ..the step you are seeing is a matter of favorable drapability of the fibres by the looks of things .
Last edited by marcush. on 18 Sep 2014, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

SiLo

What I would give to see the CFD from that diffuser.
Felipe Baby!

SectorOne

marcush. wrote:where do you spot the step in this picture?
I´m not sure but i think this is what he means,

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SiLo

Thats just the side pod cover meeting the floor.
Felipe Baby!

f1rules
f1rules

i have to say, mercedes must have invested enormous sums of money in this car, the attention to detail everywhere, the packaging, everything. Its amazing. I know you cant judge anything from just looking, but even the packaging in the sidepods, a discipline where rb has been absolute amazing until this year i think, the merc just looks amazing. How clean everything is. How many nosecones they used already this year? 3? And its a new crashtest everytime. The airflow treatment, with the brilliant nosecone design, frontsuspension lower arm starting in one piece, the detailed "Barge boards" under the chassis, the snowplough, 4blade bargeboards and so on and so on. The gearbox with outer shell so they can easily change suspension pickup points etc- etc. The floor which we just saw a great picture of. This car is mind blowing. And the others need to do an extraordinary job to catch up for sure

PlatinumZealot

Agreed. This quality is light years ahead of the patch work they had in 2010.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FW17

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The floor is flat up to the point where the diffuser starts. Your lines are influenced by reflections in the shiny flat surface.

As for the angled lines by the sidepod fairing, that's because the curves tightens as it gets to the rear of the panel.

All perfectly legal.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

PlatinumZealot wrote:Agreed. This quality is light years ahead of the patch work they had in 2010.
For reference:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

stefan_
stefan_

Singapore 2014 - Friday (19.09.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

SectorOne

Last picture is brilliant, very nice angle and a different perspective of the front wing.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

stefan_
stefan_

You can almost imagine the airflow going through that front wing.

marcush.
marcush.

SectorOne wrote:
marcush. wrote:where do you spot the step in this picture?
I´m not sure but i think this is what he means,

Thats the transition from sidepod to the floor in the bottleneck area if i´m not mistaken...

There is no rule saying your floor must be of constant thickness -it is only the surface facing the ground which specified in detail.

below a nice example of a machined and formed piece of aluminium honeycomb:

and a small video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eCM_W9BXMk
Last edited by marcush. on 20 Sep 2014, 12:12, edited 3 times in total.