Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SectorOne

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

marcush. wrote:Thats the transition to the sidepod transition to the floor in the bottleneck area if i´m not mistaken...
Yea it´s definitely bottleneck area, i figured it was this dent that goes along the whole floor.

and from below,
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

stefan_
stefan_

Singapore 2014 - Saturday (20.09.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

hollus

The new gearing from Mercedes from Singapore on. Gray is old, color is new (1st missing). With these gears they are now geared similarly to, say, Williams or Red Bull.
The new 8th is shorter than the old 7th :o , with the difference being less dramatic for the new 7th and 6th.
The new 5th is essentially the old 5th, and then there are minor adjustments to 4th, 3rd and 2nd.
Ironically, these gear ratios would probably have managed Monza just fine.

Rivals, not enemies.

timbo
timbo

Seems really stange old config was geared up to 410 km/h. What's the point?

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

Maybe they can hit 410 kph but don't use this secret powerful engine mode this season, so as to let their rivals think they can catch up, then next year they release the beast upgrade lol.

Their test driver Sam Bird did suggest in an interview that they have a lot of performance they're not even delivering this season on purpose.

Ozan
Ozan

they usually don't hit 13k rpms that's why so long gearing. also limits on the fuel and engine counts.

markn93

tranquility2k4 wrote:Maybe they can hit 410 kph but don't use this secret powerful engine mode this season, so as to let their rivals think they can catch up, then next year they release the beast upgrade lol.

Their test driver Sam Bird did suggest in an interview that they have a lot of performance they're not even delivering this season on purpose.
I'm not saying I specifically agree because that sounds a bit extreme but I agree with the sentiment as it wouldn't surprise me if everyone turns up next year thinking they've made big strides only to see Merc a great deal ahead again.

ParkerArt
ParkerArt

hollus wrote:The new gearing from Mercedes from Singapore on. Gray is old, color is new (1st missing). With these gears they are now geared similarly to, say, Williams or Red Bull.
The new 8th is shorter than the old 7th :o , with the difference being less dramatic for the new 7th and 6th.
The new 5th is essentially the old 5th, and then there are minor adjustments to 4th, 3rd and 2nd.
Ironically, these gear ratios would probably have managed Monza just fine.

http://i.imgur.com/1XNdRp6.jpg
From what I can understand of the current engine and aero package, the W05 with a single set of ratios would ideally have had 8th around 360km/h @ 13000 rpm. Power seems to peak around 11,500~12,500 rpm and the fuel flow limit levels off the power and dulls the torque. These new ratios should set the car up to Rock 'n Roll for the rest of the season as the 2013 car was topping out at ~300km/h +/-10 at all the races (excluding Russia).
timbo wrote:Seems really stange old config was geared up to 410 km/h. What's the point?
timbo wrote:Seems really stange old config was geared up to 410 km/h. What's the point?
I originally though 8th was just a 'cruise back to the pit at the end of a race gear' since 7th should have been fine for Monza and Spa.
tranquility2k4 wrote:Maybe they can hit 410 kph but don't use this secret powerful engine mode this season, so as to let their rivals think they can catch up, then next year they release the beast upgrade lol.

I have a feeling Williams, McLaren and Force India would be quite annoyed if the PU was capable of ~150 more hp...

thedutchguy

A bit late, but have a look at the dashboard info on Rosberg's car during FP3 last friday. I'm not sure they've changed a lot since the last race. Anyway it's cool to see that Rosberg pulls up info (brake balance) multiple times per lap and makes adjustments on the wheel.

Also interesting: during that same FP3 it was almost impossible to see anything on Hamilton's display, except for when he turned the wheel and the display was at a 90 degree angle. This might indicate that the team used some sort of polarizing 'privacy' filter on the screen to avoid information being visible by the onboard camera.. I wonder if we'll see more of that in the coming races. Alternatively it might also be that the (TN-type??) LCD screen was mounted upside down which affected the viewing angle.

Burgess
Burgess

Hamilton had a polarised display at Bahrain. Most likely because the glare was annoying him.

SectorOne

We talked some about the monkey seat a couple days ago and all that and it´s purpose and whatnot.
I noticed that when they showed the thermal images of the cars during the race you could see the bottom of the rear wing black, possibly even a tiny bit of color but not sure.

Anyway, it clearly showed that the exhaust do have some effect up there, how big or small i have no idea.

Edit: not the merc but you can clearly see it in this image.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Could also be a reflection. But yea it helps with flow attachment.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

trinidefender
trinidefender

Owen.C93 wrote:Could also be a reflection. But yea it helps with flow attachment.
Owen.C93 that is a theory so don't tout it as fact. The problem I see with that image is that you have no depth perception so you can't really see where the heat is from. In some normal images you can see the heat from the exhaust present where part of an image looks distorted behind the exhaust (you see this quite often from gas turbine engines). If the exhaust really was flowing onto the rear wing to have much of an effect then I would think more of the image would show heat traces spread out more on the rear wing instead of one tiny concentrated dot.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

trinidefender wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Could also be a reflection. But yea it helps with flow attachment.
Owen.C93 that is a theory so don't tout it as fact.
Actually, it's a hypothesis... :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SectorOne

I don´t think so but you can have a look for yourself here,

http://fiftybuckss.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... rand-prix/