Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

trinidefender wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Could also be a reflection. But yea it helps with flow attachment.
Owen.C93 that is a theory so don't tout it as fact. The problem I see with that image is that you have no depth perception so you can't really see where the heat is from. In some normal images you can see the heat from the exhaust present where part of an image looks distorted behind the exhaust (you see this quite often from gas turbine engines). If the exhaust really was flowing onto the rear wing to have much of an effect then I would think more of the image would show heat traces spread out more on the rear wing instead of one tiny concentrated dot.
I don't see anything wrong with the way he described it. He said "it could", implying that it is a possibility. He definitely didn't say it was a fact.
#AeroFrodo

trinidefender
trinidefender

Just_a_fan wrote:
trinidefender wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Could also be a reflection. But yea it helps with flow attachment.
Owen.C93 that is a theory so don't tout it as fact.
Actually, it's a hypothesis... :wink:
You are very correct...it can't be tested and repeated with the same results reliably so yes it is a hypothesis. My bad

Turbo I was referring to the helps with flow attachment. It sounded like he stated that it helps with flow attachment as a fact when in actuality it is a hypothesis. It just bugs me because other people and new members come on the forums and read and and even though we know he means that it MAYBE helps with flow attachment, they might read it and think that it is fact. That is why I always try and introduce my ideas as just that, ideas and not as fact unless they have been confirmed in some way by teams or what have you.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

GA's take on Merc's 4th monkey seat of the season.

via AutoSport

trinidefender
trinidefender

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:GA's take on Merc's 4th monkey seat of the season.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l349 ... 884575.png
via AutoSport
It honestly seems like GA talks about a particular piece right after we have just finished talking about it here. My question is, if the flap above the traditional monkey seat is to stop the exhaust from affecting the rear wing to much then why didn't they just design the monkey seat with a less aggressive angle in the first place?

For anybody who says that reducing the angle of the monkey seat will reduce the downforce well then what do you think two downward flaps above the monkey seat will do? They will reduce downforce, that's what.

Considering that the shark fin comes to a point almost exactly in front of the monkey seat then the shark fin would definitely be creating vortices under yaw. That's why it is my personal view that the flap above the monkey seat is there to simply smoother out the airflow before it interacts with the monkey seat/exhaust flow. Notice I made the point about yaw, imagine a long sweeping corner where the driver is on the throttle for the corner, he will want the most downforce. Now add in the vortices coming off of the regulatory shark fin. There is a good chance that those vortices hurt the monkey seat. Now the two flaps come in to help that problem, just when you want the monkey seat to be working its hardest.

SectorOne

Scarbs take on the winglet,

4:42

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

LightningLewis
LightningLewis

New front wing for Suzuka, the lower one?

AMuS

stefan_
stefan_

Japan 2014 - Thursday (02.10.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

astracrazy
astracrazy

LightningLewis wrote:New front wing for Suzuka, the lower one?

http://img4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Mer ... 813837.jpg
AMuS
i think its just the angle of the photograph or they are just different AOA's. I don't think there is anything 'new'

turbof1

astracrazy wrote:

AMuS
i think its just the angle of the photograph or they are just different AOA's. I don't think there is anything 'new'
I don't see significant differences either. The top one apperently misses the horizontal strake on top of the upper flap, but more probable then not this is because it isn't fully assembled yet.
#AeroFrodo

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

turbof1 wrote:
astracrazy wrote:

AMuS
I don't see significant differences either. The top one apperently misses the horizontal strake on top of the upper flap, but more probable then not this is because it isn't fully assembled yet.

Upper flap seems different. Might be from the angle the photo was taken

turbof1

The upper flaps have a significant curvy profile, it bends and twists around several planes, combined this with their paintjob and a slightly different view angle gives a totally different optical impression.

I know the feeling; when I drew the wing I had to look at dozens of pictures to get it even roughly right. It is outright a masterpiece of art and very difficult to comprehend how they created this.
#AeroFrodo

the_end90
the_end90

It seems like the nolder on the upper flap is missing on one of the wings...

stefan_
stefan_

Japan 2014 - Thursday (02.10.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

In the last two photos, what is the device just below the master cylinders? Seems to have a hose attached.

Brian

scarbs
scarbs

I believe it's the hydraulic anti roll bar as part of the disconnected FRIC.