Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Why must they? They don't even use the clutch apart from at launch.

PhillipM
PhillipM

mantikos wrote: Well you should be surprised then - I am not attributing a number to the increase, all I am saying is, they took a whole year to develop this and the efficiency increase is supposed to be significant.
Well, it would be significant from the injection event point of view, it wouldn't be that significant overall though, if you're saying it is the whole 50bhp just from that it would have to be a direct 1:1 correlation with combustion efficiency (fuel delivery and spray improvement would be the root of the pressure difference) - no chance.
Last edited by PhillipM on 14 Nov 2014, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

RickRick
RickRick

I'd guess that if it was a normal formula/class/engine that had the pressure increase it probably woulnd't result in much of a power increase just a efficency increase, as other parts of the engine would limit the power. but on F1 engines with a fuel flow limit rather than an engine pysical limit its bound to add plenty of power

mantikos
mantikos

PhillipM wrote:
mantikos wrote: Well you should be surprised then - I am not attributing a number to the increase, all I am saying is, they took a whole year to develop this and the efficiency increase is supposed to be significant.
Well, it would be significant from the injection event point of view, it wouldn't be that significant overall though, if you're saying it is the whole 50bhp just from that it would have to be a direct 1:1 correlation with combustion efficiency (fuel delivery and spray improvement would be the root of the pressure difference) - no chance.
Never even implied that let alone say that

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

PhillipM wrote:Why must they? They don't even use the clutch apart from at launch.
I believe that driver not directly operate the clutch, apart from launch. But I'm certain that the clutch is still used during shifts - probably just automatically. I cant see how the gearbox lasts so long without having to use a clutch for shifting.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

rscsr

NewtonMeter wrote:
PhillipM wrote:Why must they? They don't even use the clutch apart from at launch.
I believe that driver not directly operate the clutch, apart from launch. But I'm certain that the clutch is still used during shifts - probably just automatically. I cant see how the gearbox lasts so long without having to use a clutch for shifting.
Oh come on. The picture was from the Honda VFR1200. No MotoGP bike ran a dual clutch transmission. The only F1 team that is known to ran a dual clutch transmission was Williams. They abandoned it after 1 year because it is clearly heavier than a "classical" F1 Transmission that just uses the right moment to engage the next gear. This is also the reason, that they have to let the electronics "learn" their shifting parameters at the beginning of a weekend (or at least when they use a new transmission).

PhillipM
PhillipM

NewtonMeter wrote:
I would perhaps stop telling other people how things work until you've discovered that yourself then. Even most roadbikes don't use the clutch to go up through the gears.

PhillipM
PhillipM

mantikos wrote: Never even implied that let alone say that
Yet you countered my 4-5bhp estimate with what, then? I did some (basic, admittedly) math to give a best guess as what you could reasonably expect from that kind of pressure increase in terms of combustion efficiency, and that's what it comes out at, so if it's much more significant as you say, can I have some reasoning other than 'the press said so'?

mantikos
mantikos

PhillipM wrote:
mantikos wrote: Never even implied that let alone say that
Yet you countered my 4-5bhp estimate with what, then? I did some (basic, admittedly) math to give a best guess as what you could reasonably expect from that kind of pressure increase in terms of combustion efficiency, and that's what it comes out at, so if it's much more significant as you say, can I have some reasoning other than 'the press said so'?
Right after I see your math - lets see those calculations.

PlatinumZealot

Ferraripilot wrote:To the poster who stated injection pressure does not result on more power.

A higher pressure direct injection system allows the same amount of fuel to be sprayed at a finer and more controlled mist resulting in more molecules being exposed to the flame front which results in quicker ignition of all molecules which yields more torque. Higher injection pressure is indeed directly related to torque and efficiency because of the above. If the Mercedes engine were operating at a 200-300bar system which is what was conjectured they ran, then going to 500bar or thereabouts would indeed increase efficiency.
Never said that you don't get more horsepower. I said it won't give that much because (1), mercedes always had a 500 bar system. Even the BOSCH system on street cars have 500 bar. It was only unfounded rumours that they had a 300 bar system.

higher Injection pressure also allows you to pulse the injector faster with a more consistent fuel delivery.It is really for efficiency. Mercedes always had the higher pressure system anyways.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

PlatinumZealot

Formula 1 has one clutch pack as far as I know. It may not be a smooth engaging as 2 clutches but it is just as fast and much, much lighter. For two clutches the gearbox get very very complicated. You need two input shafts for that.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

Andrew Benson BBC: "Insiders say the new Honda engine is already close to producing a similar level of performance to the Mercedes turbo hybrid V6 which has dominated Formula 1 this season.

But the Japanese company may need to find considerably more performance ahead of the new season if it is to be competitive, as Mercedes are said to have made significant steps forward with their power unit for 2015.

Even under rules restricting development, sources say Mercedes have improved their engine enough to translate into a performance gain of about a second a lap for next season. "

Boost
Boost

PlatinumZealot wrote:Formula 1 has one clutch pack as far as I know. It may not be a smooth engaging as 2 clutches but it is just as fast and much, much lighter. For two clutches the gearbox get very very complicated. You need two input shafts for that.
Dual clutch transmissions are banned in F1.

RicerDude

Boost wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Formula 1 has one clutch pack as far as I know. It may not be a smooth engaging as 2 clutches but it is just as fast and much, much lighter. For two clutches the gearbox get very very complicated. You need two input shafts for that.
Dual clutch transmissions are banned in F1.
Even if they were allowed no-one would use it. A sequential 'box is far lighter, faster, smaller and more reliable in the short term.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

GA on Mercedes supposed 2015 turning vanes used in Brazil..

via AutoSport