Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Helios

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Lewis the very first driver on track.

Joie de vivre

but question remains. why were they testing ddrs last year at all?

Shakeman

Joie de vivre wrote:but question remains. why were they testing ddrs last year at all?
I guess there are two answers, they couldn't get it to work reliably or we haven't seen everything yet.

Multi21

Anyone know of somewhere to watch the testing live on the web?

Shrieker

No combined monkey seat / exhaust solution ? I'm a bit surprised there. Maybe they'll put it on later, or maybe the onus is on aero efficiency rather than outright downforce.
Last edited by Shrieker on 28 Jan 2014, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

thomin

My first thoughts:

1) The nose is ugly, but this year that's still enough for the best looking nose award. It will be interesting to see whether that's merely a launch spec nose or whether they'll actually be racing with this. I would think the latter because of the camera mountings that are too specific to be random, but this year, you never know.

2) I would have loved the new color scheme hadn't it been for this stupid air-brush effect on the air-box. This way, it's merely "nice".

3) I do however love the packaging. Ignoring the nose, the car is an absolute beauty in terms of its shape. Since the large heat-exits we have seen on other cars are missing though, I suspect this could be a cold-weather spec car and it may very well see changes in that regard.

4) Given the small side pods, the rumors about Mercedes working with a supplier on a new, radically improved cooling system may have finally come to fruition.

5) Just be quick, will ya?

Blackout

Beautiful shapes... but how is that nose cone lega? something is missing if it's a Lotus solution and it seems ta have more than a section if we cut it at one side and horizontally...

Dyanxx

Multi21 wrote:Anyone know of somewhere to watch the testing live on the web?
I know Sky F1 will be showing the third test, but also they will have a roundup and Ted's Notebook starting at 11 pm every day of the test, so watch Sky f1 at 11pm tonight I guess.

thomin

Joie de vivre wrote:but question remains. why were they testing ddrs last year at all?

This test is mostly about reliability and to learn about the new components. Even if DDRS was ready, this wouldn't be the place to bring it, as it would just introduce another factor to take into account while testing.

Having said that, I wouldn't think it's ready and it might never be.

raymondu999

Interesting that the dumbo wings of 2008 have returned. To memory Honda was indeed the pioneer of those back then, no? I remember that McLaren and BMW had them on before 2008 was out though.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

VarioR

The most beautifull so far

Nico's helmet is Black?
Being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win...

Helios

VarioR wrote:The most beautifull so far

Nico's helmet is Black?
Yep, makes it easy to distinguish the two drivers finally.

Richard

Re: 2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

So can anyone explain how Merc managed to have a nose that stops short of the front wing while some teams have those long finger noses?

Multi21

Dyanxx wrote:
Multi21 wrote:Anyone know of somewhere to watch the testing live on the web?
I know Sky F1 will be showing the third test, but also they will have a roundup and Ted's Notebook starting at 11 pm every day of the test, so watch Sky f1 at 11pm tonight I guess.
Cheers

Gaara