Red Bull RB10 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SectorOne

Re: Red Bull RB10 Renault

Hobbs04 wrote:I should of posted this sooner but did anyone see Ricciardo's DRS flapping around on lap 6 or 7 of Silverstone? He was passing Hulkenburg and he opened it and picked up a sort of draft off the force India. Anyways it looked awfully unstable flapping violently just prior to the braking point. after 3 years of DRS I haven't seen anything like this bar Alonso's failure in Bahrain back in 2012, but his was just stuck open this was just flapping. If anyone could add the video / gif, it would be appreciated.
Not sure if it´s the flap or just sunlight reflecting depending on the bumps.
I frapsed the sequence frame by frame and here´s a 40mb file to download if anyone want to take a look.
(not HD content but you can see the phenomenon at least)

https://www.sendspace.com/file/s9udya
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

DarkJRO

The hole car goes up an down at the and of the straight. In combination with the light this looks like the DRS flap is shaking, but its not. In my opionion just an optical illusion
Greetings
Dark JRO

Hobbs04

SectorOne wrote:
Hobbs04 wrote:I should of posted this sooner but did anyone see Ricciardo's DRS flapping around on lap 6 or 7 of Silverstone? He was passing Hulkenburg and he opened it and picked up a sort of draft off the force India. Anyways it looked awfully unstable flapping violently just prior to the braking point. after 3 years of DRS I haven't seen anything like this bar Alonso's failure in Bahrain back in 2012, but his was just stuck open this was just flapping. If anyone could add the video / gif, it would be appreciated.
Not sure if it´s the flap or just sunlight reflecting depending on the bumps.
I frapsed the sequence frame by frame and here´s a 40mb file to download if anyone want to take a look.
(not HD content but you can see the phenomenon at least)

https://www.sendspace.com/file/s9udya
Thanks for posting video, definitely at that speed the air is quite powerful.

stefan_ wrote:Germany 2014 - Saturday (19.07.2014)

http://i.imgur.com/1y512ue.jpg
I thought the central section of the front wing was supposed to be neutral?

stefan_

Hungary 2014 - Thursday (24.07.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

SectorOne

I´m in love with the design language of the RB. Like it´s been carved out by water over millions of years.
Most if not all has a nice curvy shape to it like the leading edge of the front wing, absolutely beautiful shapes.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Sevach

SectorOne wrote:I´m in love with the design language of the RB. Like it´s been carved out by water over millions of years.
Most if not all has a nice curvy shape to it like the leading edge of the front wing, absolutely beautiful shapes.
It's almost artistic, like everything "fits" together, while some others are just a collection of parts.

monsi

I am struck by the way there is almost no overt redirection of air around the tyre except at the endplate. Contrast this with - say - the Force India wing which has dramatic vertical elements from well inside the line of the tyre to turn the air outwards. The sinuous curves on the Red Bull wing are intriguing, I would love to know just how much they move the air around. To my untrained eye it looks much less draggy than some other solutions.

Just_a_fan

It is - it's symmetrical about its chord line.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Rikhart

SectorOne wrote:I´m in love with the design language of the RB. Like it´s been carved out by water over millions of years.
It´s full of stars, I mean, ellipses

Pierce89

Its neutral to the reference plane, but it is a symmetrical airfoil.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89 wrote:

Its neutral to the reference plane, but it is a symmetrical airfoil.
So those endplates and contours are on the top as well to keep symmetry I guess? (hard to get a view of that bit)
Looks like they're there to exploit ground effect/accelerate air (not sure if that's for direct d/f or air for use downstream)

McMrocks

So those endplates and contours are on the top as well to keep symmetry I guess? (hard to get a view of that bit)
Looks like they're there to exploit ground effect/accelerate air (not sure if that's for direct d/f or air for use downstream)
There is nothing wrong with small endplates on either side of the centre section if they are more than 12,5cm (or so) away from the cars centre-line. And i think they are since there is nothing else allowed than the neutral airfoil (as you can see at a drawing at the end of the technical reglement) and two strakes that hold the fw

F1aero

monsi wrote:I am struck by the way there is almost no overt redirection of air around the tyre except at the endplate. Contrast this with - say - the Force India wing which has dramatic vertical elements from well inside the line of the tyre to turn the air outwards. The sinuous curves on the Red Bull wing are intriguing, I would love to know just how much they move the air around. To my untrained eye it looks much less draggy than some other solutions.
A lot of the wheel wake control is also done by the FW fences (underneath)
As to being less drag, RBR are natourious for running high DF at at the expensive of drag (not massively efficient DF but plenty of it). This wing will be more draggy than the Findia FW but will produce a lot more DF.

Sevach

Is Red Bull trying to make a small wing out of their hot air escapes? Generating some downforce with that little cut.