Williams FW36 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aral

Re: Williams FW36 Pre-launch Speculation

these are just computer generated pictures and need not be necessarily what will be seen on the eventual car. for instance, the rear wing appears to have a large plane, and there is evidence of a monkey seat, which is supposedly not allowed.
it is a pity that teams are "announcing" their cars using computer images or photoshop images. why can they not actually produce the actual car? maybe a bit of tomfoolery?

FrukostScones

gilgen wrote:these are just computer generated pictures and need not be necessarily what will be seen on the eventual car. for instance, the rear wing appears to have a large plane, and there is evidence of a monkey seat, which is supposedly not allowed.
it is a pity that teams are "announcing" their cars using computer images or photoshop images. why can they not actually produce the actual car? maybe a bit of tomfoolery?
sry, mokey seat is allowed.an actual car you have to photograph and that is not as easy as it might sound if you want a PR worhy result and also is hugely time consuming...
Last edited by FrukostScones on 23 Jan 2014, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Thunder

Erm Monkey Seats ARE allowed. Imho they can now be even wider than 2013 (from 150 to 200mm).

Edit: Also Pat Symonds said that the Pictures are Launch Spec.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Holm86

Monkey seats are allowed. And I think we might even see some teams running two. One underneath the exhaust like on the Williams render and one above it.

FrukostScones

F1 Technical @f1technical

I'm coutious of over-analysing these car renderings. Previous years have shown the eventual cars usually end up to be quite different #F1
only one I remember is Lotus, the rest never used renders or they were correct when they showed them officialy as the new car (not the teasers).
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

emmepi27

As i said, probably, no central pylons for the rear wing!

As Scarbs said on twitter in the morning, they could have a mini beam wing near the floor

rssh

Why is the exhaust ending in front of the monkey seat? Is it just because it is just a rendering or there can be some body work after exhaust exit . :wtf:

LookBackTime

rssh wrote:Why is the exhaust ending in front of the monkey seat? Is it just because it is just a rendering or there can be some body work after exhaust exit . :wtf:
It will make the rear wing generate more down force!

Blackout

5.8.5 There must be no bodywork lying within a right circular cylinder which :
a) Shares a common axis with that of the last 150mm of the tailpipe.
b) Has a diameter 30mm greater than the tailpipe.
c) Starts at the exit of the tailpipe and extends rearwards as far as a point 600mm behind the rear wheel centre line.

astracrazy

where the exhaust has to be is further forward than you'd expect. I'd say its right from what you see

beelsebob

astracrazy wrote:where the exhaust has to be is further forward than you'd expect. I'd say its right from what you see
The tail light must be placed at least 595mm behind the rear wheel centre line, so you're talking about the exhaust being 5mm behind the tail light, and hence behind almost all of the rear wing structure (likely only end plates behind there) The exhaust being in front of the monkey seat is deffinately not allowed.

Also, the box for the monkey seat begins at 500mm behind the rear wheel centre line – so we're deffinately talking about 10cm behind the monkey seat here.

Ferraripilot

The mini beam wing Scarbs pointed out could act as a glorified oversized gurney wing or 'tab'. I asked the question in the Mercedes section regarding that area and the possibility of essentially a large gurney tab, but I understand those now to be well regulated. Since this in essence low level beam wing does not traverse the width of the diffuser nor fit into the rules which define the gurney tab area then I suspect this area will be one of great development as areas in this defined plane are limited, but they will have to take what they can get.

astracrazy

beelsebob wrote:
astracrazy wrote:where the exhaust has to be is further forward than you'd expect. I'd say its right from what you see
The tail light must be placed at least 595mm behind the rear wheel centre line, so you're talking about the exhaust being 5mm behind the tail light, and hence behind almost all of the rear wing structure (likely only end plates behind there) The exhaust being in front of the monkey seat is deffinately not allowed.

Also, the box for the monkey seat begins at 500mm behind the rear wheel centre line – so we're deffinately talking about 10cm behind the monkey seat here.
what?

the exhaust must extend to 170mm to 185mm behind the RWCL. so a monkey seat can go behind it....or actually behind and below as you'd need to angle the exhaust +5deg so its not in the 'cone'

miguelalvesreis

astracrazy wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

what?

the exhaust must extend to 170mm to 185mm behind the RWCL. so a monkey seat can go behind it....or actually under as you'd need to angle the exhaust +5deg so its not in the 'cone'
Agree, except on one point. Exhaust must have an angle between 0º and 5º on vertical axis and be along longitudinal axis.
After the exhaust pipe end you have a "invisible cilinder" with r=30mm that extends upon 600mm rearward of rear wheels axis where no part of the car shall exist.

So, you can have a monkey seat below or above that cilinder

astracrazy

i should of said +5deg tail up and i meant cylinder not cone