Williams FW36 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LookBackTime

Re: Williams FW36 Mercedes

Bottas sees potential FRIC advantage

Valtteri Bottas believes Williams won't be hurt by any ban on FRIC suspensions but could close the gap to Mercedes as a result.

The FIA has sent a technical directive to the teams warning them that such interconnected suspension systems are likely to be deemed illegal and could be protested against. While no ban has yet been imposed, the systems could be outlawed from as early as the German Grand Prix and Bottas admitted: “Maybe some teams could be more affected than us I would say, so we will see.”

When it was put to him that a team ahead could be especially hampered, Bottas laughed and said: “Yes!”

However, Bottas doesn't believe a FRIC suspension ban would lead to much change in the competitive order.

“For some teams yes but not for some others. We will see, I don't really know what is going to happen. Whatever the decision is we will be OK with it, I don't think it's going to be the key for the season or anything like that.”

Off the back of two consecutive podium finishes, Bottas expects Williams to be quick again in Germany next weekend but fears it may struggle in Hungary without updates.

“For the moment with the car we have now I think Budapest is still going to be difficult to challenge them. We are at our best on the long straights and Budapest is really missing those best bits for us. But if we can keep improving, if we can bring the updates that we are planning for Budapest then we might have a chance but we will have to see.”

See source too:
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/206573/1/b ... mpaign=rss

LookBackTime

German GP - Thursday 17th, 2014

PlatinumZealot

The air to air inter-cooler is clear to see here. I am beginning to wonder if they had air to water before??
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

scarbs

n smikle wrote:The air to air inter-cooler is clear to see here. I am beginning to wonder if they had air to water before??
The water intercooler never existed

Sevach

Tested earlier in the season, seems primed for debut here if the temps continue to soar.

Godius

Sevach

triptube

What a bad crash from Massa ! He is O.K., that is the best news for me ! We see us in Budapest !

Glyn

triptube wrote:What a bad crash from Massa ! He is O.K., that is the best news for me ! We see us in Budapest !
Massa better not keep on saying it is always the other person's fault....

JDC123

The FIA want sparks, the FIA get sparks! I'm guessing that's because the roll over hoop is made from titanium, and then somehow fused/attached to the rest of the carbon fibre chassis?

F1T
Administrative bot

Williams revives shark gills for cooling

Williams revives shark gills for cooling - Development blog

Williams introduced a new cooling solution on its FW36 this weekend at Germany by adding a series of small apertures on the legality fin of the airbox cover. The small extension on the airbox cover is there only to fit the minimum area rules of the bodywork, but Williams have found a new use by creating fins to provide engine cooling.

Many teams have small apertures in this area for cooling, but Williams' solution surely is elaborate. The team have seemingly chosen to use shark gills because they usually produce less turbulence compared to a single, larger opening.

Shark gills actually used to be a very popular cooling solution in Formula One, culminated by the championship winning {Renault R25} of 2005 that brought Fernando Alonso his first World Championship. The gills as they were in use on the sidepods of the Renault however are no longer legal since the FIA disallowed any opening in the sidepod's bodywork (the same rule also bans the possibility to add numerous winglets and chimneys on the sidepods).

stefan_

Hungary 2014 - Thursday (24.07.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Seamus

LookBackTime

roadie

The car is running a T wing under the camera mount like the F14T does this weekend.

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/40325/ ... telecamera

There certainly doesn't look to be anything revolutionary about the rear wing unless I am missing something?