Williams FW36 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FW17

Re: Williams FW36 Mercedes

Tim.Wright wrote: Its not the side crash structure. You can see the turning vanes under the nose.

Yeah it is part of the tray
when you zoom it shows that metallic profile

Alexgtt

There's something very neat and right about the Williams. It's some achievement, where they are v's this time last year. Has there been such an amazing turn around by a team in recent years? Just considering where they'll be if the current rate of improvement continues next year. Are we indeed seeing a genuine 2016 contender and a return to the glory days? I sincerely hope so. I know we talk about no factory engine deal but they've done it before with factory teams all round them.

emmepi27

Very interesting shot! (Amus)

Cuky

new colors for Abu Dhabi, just posted on Williams facebook page
Revealing our livery for this weekend at Yas Marina Circuit

The change is due to alcohol advertising restrictions in the UAE. You may recognise this version of the livery from F1 Games from Codemasters as we also supplied it for F1 2014

dren

Alexgtt wrote:There's something very neat and right about the Williams. It's some achievement, where they are v's this time last year. Has there been such an amazing turn around by a team in recent years? Just considering where they'll be if the current rate of improvement continues next year. Are we indeed seeing a genuine 2016 contender and a return to the glory days? I sincerely hope so. I know we talk about no factory engine deal but they've done it before with factory teams all round them.
The old chassis was always fairly good. They never got a hold of the EBD; the car improved when they removed it. Now nobody has an EBD so that is in Williams favor. The Mercedes PU has been the class of the field, so that gave the new car a boost. I expect Willaims to produce a good 2016 package, but the Mclaren and Red Bull will be better, too. Lotus may very well be back in the hunt since they procured Mercedes power.
Honda!

PlatinumZealot

emmepi27 wrote:Very interesting shot! (Amus)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B243PxsCAAABnUw.jpg:large
You can see that this thing is very strongly built. It is not a breather hole as holes facing down is not allowed. It seems to be some sort of cantiliver to meet the regulation on deflection of the floor. I am not sure why it is so large and round though. Maybe some electronics inside... You can see the tip of it is metal. This could be for ruggedness (titanium) or for ballast (tungsten). If it was ballast it would vibrate A alot at the end of the pole so I have some doubts that it is ballast.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bill shoe

LookBackTime wrote:GP Abu Dhabi 2014 - Thursday

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Wil ... 824853.jpg
Looks like a structural support for the tea-tray. It looks like the upper two mounts at the rear may be some kind of suspension system that controls the vertical motion/force of the front of the support. Can't clearly see if they are bushings or something else, but they do not look like simple hard mounts into a carbon structure.

FIA continues to simultaneously say "no degrees of freedom for aero parts" and "yes you can use overt suspension for the Tea-tray".

Moose

bill shoe wrote:

Looks like a structural support for the tea-tray. It looks like the upper two mounts at the rear may be some kind of suspension system that controls the vertical motion/force of the front of the support. Can't clearly see if they are bushings or something else, but they do not look like simple hard mounts into a carbon structure.

FIA continues to simultaneously say "no degrees of freedom for aero parts" and "yes you can use overt suspension for the Tea-tray".
I can't see any overt suspension for the T-tray there. I see the heads of two bolts, and two washers. Where do you see suspension?

Chase3009

Just an FYI for everyone. It was said on the American broadcast of FP2 that the problem with the body panel that occurred in FP1 was due to a new cooling solution. The team wasn't prepared for the large differentiation in pressure from the old solution to the new one and the pressure gradient literally ripped the body panel apart. It was also said that they reverted to a different cooling solution for FP2. Not sure of the truth of this but it would be a good point for discussion.

bill shoe

Moose wrote:
bill shoe wrote:

I can't see any overt suspension for the T-tray there. I see the heads of two bolts, and two washers. Where do you see suspension?
The suspension-ish mount is vague, but I think it's there for two reasons-

1. On recent F1 cars I haven't seen similar large round metallic things behind bolts when the bolts were genuinely mounting something rigidly.

2. The obvious mechanical device for rigidly constraining the tea-tray's vertical motion is the vertical strut required by the
rules. However Williams, like all teams, run a trivial and compliant strut. This means they must want the tea-tray to have vertical compliance. The other non-strut mounts must manage and control that vertical compliance. Sounds like a workable definition of suspension.

So indirect evidence from that picture, but to my eye the picture is inconsistent with "lets truly mount it rigidly".

By the way, big congrats to Williams for a wonderful season. It took balls to decide to spend their way back to the front, and then expertise to convert that decision into results. Hope the results continue.

Blackout

An F1 car ran yesterday without it's sidepod bodywork and we only got two poor pictures in F1Technical :o :lol:
Anthony Stuart ‏@Anthony_Stuart 46 Min.Vor 46 Minuten
that Williams that lost its sidepod is responsible for some of my favorite F1 photos this season

LookBackTime

David Coulthard's 'magic carpet ride' in a 2014 Williams

djos

That was very cool!
"In downforce we trust"