Williams FW36 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Williams FW36 Mercedes

He was particularly shocked by the acceleration which is funny when so many on here are saying the new engines are rubbish!

He was also shocked by how complicated the cars are to drive/manage. He now realises why so many drivers asked for help from the pit wall.

A very enlightening piece from someone who has more F1 experience than everyone bar 5 people on the planet.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

adrianjordan

Anyone else think that the engine sound on that piece (which was presumably recorded by the BBC's own sound people...possibly Williams' people if it was their filming day) was far better than the FOM feed...??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

PlatinumZealot

adrianjordan wrote:Anyone else think that the engine sound on that piece (which was presumably recorded by the BBC's own sound people...possibly Williams' people if it was their filming day) was far better than the FOM feed...??
Oh yes. Even spectator videos I hear a much fuller tone than the FOM feed. Some one was saying that the FOM feed compresses the sound or something. I dunno, maybe they tuned the microphones to deaden out the sounds from the V8 engines and forgot to adjust them for these new turbo engines?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

emaren
emaren

adrianjordan wrote:Anyone else think that the engine sound on that piece (which was presumably recorded by the BBC's own sound people...possibly Williams' people if it was their filming day) was far better than the FOM feed...??
Of course it sounds better.

The old engines were so ear-hurtingly loud that the sound on TV was really just the shriek. The sound was and remains, heavily compressed too. In reality the cars are nothing like as loud as they were, but they do sound really rather good.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I would say that the TV audience reaction was calculated and the outcry was supposed to bring back the V8's......

hollus

LookBackTime wrote: David Coulthard's 'magic carpet ride' in a 2014 Williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ekrT6 ... UA&index=9
Vortexes at the 6 minute mark.
Rivals, not enemies.

djos

Yep better in every way possible!
"In downforce we trust"

Morteza

hollus wrote:
LookBackTime wrote: David Coulthard's 'magic carpet ride' in a 2014 Williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ekrT6 ... UA&index=9
Vortexes at the 6 minute mark.
http://i.imgur.com/i2Qe3M7.jpg
You read my mind, mate :D Thanks! =D>
I love it when you can witness the aero of an F1 car in visualized in action.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Francesc
Francesc

Williams testing next year's dashboard

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

I like the idea to place the screen in fixed position !

Juzh

What prompted williams to go to RB style steering wheel anyway?

Cuky

Don't know really, but it might be that steering wheel is a bit lighter without display on it and that means a bit less of a moveable mass in the car.

mikeerfol

Remember from 2015 the drivers are not allowed to be told about fuel or other issues they may have so having this dashboard definitely helps.

djos

LookBackTime wrote:I like the idea to place the screen in fixed position !
Same, having a constantly moving screen on my wheel would seriously piss me off!
"In downforce we trust"

SiLo

The car looks so good in the all blue livery from Abu Dhabi.
Felipe Baby!

Mamba
Mamba

That fixed dash is a brilliant idea! Now all the information is easily available in front of the driver and not being flashed before his eyes as the wheel turns.

MAMBA