Lotus E22 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ajprice

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

So if the right tusk is 9000mm2 at the point 50mm back from the tip, and the left tusk is 51mm shorter than the right, that nose is legal?

CBeck113

Blanchimont wrote:
CBeck113 wrote:Interesting that they made the nose asymetrical, but I can't believe that the FIA let them get away with it (i.e. aerodynamic function of the vanity panel, which must be the shorter side of the nose) ... there will be many changes before the second test, since this solution will be much better than the Williams & McLaren solutions.
It's also possible that both fingers belong to the crash structure. But why do you think that the Lotus solution is better than the others? The rules demand that you the cross section 50mm behind the tip has to have a minimum cross section of 9000mm², that's the cross section of the right finger. The second finger increases the cross section from 50mm behind the tip onwards and also doubles the turbolences and weight.
This solution allows unrestricted flow in the middle of the car, where it will also not be disturbed by the suspension, making it easier to calculate / use. If the absolute air volumn is higher or not I won't even bother guessing, but it's "virgin" ( I kind of feel strange using this term on these cars :oops: ).
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

FrukostScones

We will see the real car in maybe 14-26 days.

nice nose btw, how will that work out????
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

adrianjordan

Isn't "horizontal projection" effectively when viewed from the side?

If so then wouldn't that allow for the walrus nose anyway regardless of whether the word single is in there or not??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

el-Magico

No Exhaust?
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

anzx

You can't see much details at this picture, but I'm 100% this nose can get them benefits, and quick look to the back of the car, it looks like this car will be more than just competiteve this year. Nice work by Lotus and it's nice to be different to the others, let's wait and see for merc, bull and ferrari what will they come up with :)

andrewf1

adrianjordan wrote:Isn't "horizontal projection" effectively when viewed from the side?

If so then wouldn't that allow for the walrus nose anyway regardless of whether the word single is in there or not??
Horizontal projection means viewed from the top.

grams

el-Magico wrote:
No Exhaust?
Their ERS works so well they don't have to burn any fuel.

LotusF1

assymetric nose. thats how they make it legal.

FrukostScones

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl ... ml&act=url

AMuS: Lotus with extreme and uncopyable engine installation
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

desl

beelsebob wrote: Nope.

15.4.3:
It must have a minimum external cross section, in horizontal projection, of 9000mm2 at a point 50mm behind its forward-most point.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.ns ... _20.07.pdf
Maybe the right "fork tine" is not a part of the crash structure ... maybe it's the vanity panel... :?:

PhillipM

anzx wrote:, and quick look to the back of the car, it looks like this car will be more than just competiteve this year.
Not so much the nose, but if that's the real back end then they've done some serious gearbox/turbo packaging work back there, if you ignore the shark fin it almost looks like the Williams rear end of recent years.

AnthonyG

I like how it is different to the others so far and I can only hope it'll turn out to be a winner. (Even if it were just to shut up all those whiners about Lotus' financial situation that seem to forget how fast this car's predecesors were)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

gobjb

andrewf1 wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:Isn't "horizontal projection" effectively when viewed from the side?

Horizontal projection means viewed from the top.
Actually it means viewed from the front. Horizontal projection gives a vertical cross section.

oT v1

its going to be tough to support Grosjean when he's driving that walrus :D

Its nice to see nose variety coming through, only Lotus, Williams and Macca so far and all are different!!
The Power of Dreams