Lotus E22 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

I think Lotus, like a lot of other teams have drivability issues. Once these issues are ironed out the car will certainly be up to scratch. To me the biggest gains still lie in the power unit. Not so much the engine or even the MGU's but rather the integration and calibration of all the different systems. It makes talking about it difficult because it's not something that can easily be seen, you can if you study the cars out on track but that's not feasible on this forum. Teams know what they have to do, the problem isn't so much hardware as it is packaging and software related.
Saishū kōnā

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

A good look at the underside of the E22 FW

via AMuS

GA on the Bahrain update

via AutoSport

anzx
anzx

“We’re going to attempt to get as much as we can out of FP1 and FP2 in Shanghai to test new parts,” he added. “We have a lot of aero parts we want to evaluate throughout the E22, including an evolution to our nose.

“We’ve also got some aerodynamic developments that should be interesting to evaluate for China, when we are hoping for a bit more out of the power unit as well, both reliability and pace wise. Expect to see some bodywork upgrades in China and then a bigger upgrade in Barcelona.
Lotus is coming with some nose updates to china, it may be interesting to look at it ;)

You can read more here: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... +Headlines

jagunx51

what are the "white square & triangle" at the diffuser area ? are they just a reflection ...?
............!!!!

PlatinumZealot

trinidefender wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:We've always removed lap times from the car threads. It's impossible to correlate laptimes to specific features on a car.
Not really. If during practice a new feature was introduced to the cars or a change was made and lap times either went up or down then it is safe to say that at least part of the lap time change can be attributed to the new part. If you remove lat times from car threads then how can people discuss if new parts are working as intended or not? Pointing out new features of a car AND ANALYSING IF THE CHANGE WAS POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE as an F1 enthusiast community is the point of F1 car thread is it not?

If it is not then what thread can we do that? The team thread? Nope because we can't talk about specific parts there. The race thread? Nope because then everybody analysing different parts on different cars all at the same time for that specific race would get confusing. By default all we are left with is the car thread.
These threads exist to tickle the techno-dope receptors for us, the forumers! I think as long as the discussion remains in a technical vein, it is for one particular car and it is not too general it should be allowed. Just my opinion.

The style of moderation has certainly changed to be more like that blue-blooded style seen on autosport forums. Over at autosport people are more interested in wrist slapping and grammar lessons than actual content. This forum is the most dense and feature rich when it comes to the technical aspect of the sport. I think lap times, and hence analysis of a given car should be in that car's thread. Been here for years the car threads are just not what they used to be. Oh I used to love Bar555's race by race upgrade comparisons!

I have rarely seen the car threads descend into driver ying-yang when discussing lap times one one particular car. So I think the mods should have a second look at this.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Blackout

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:A good look at the underside of the E22 FW
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Lot ... 770428.jpg
via AMuS
GA on the Bahrain update
http://s29.postimg.org/97wxbjxqf/Lotus_FW.jpg
via AutoSport
AMuS

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Have Lotus got real issues with the twin tusk? Why would you go to all the trouble of creating the clear run under the nose to the tea tray/splitter only to fill it up with turning vanes? I guess the presence of these means the air passing through is "dirty" and needs cleaning up before the splitter?

Maybe the price to pay for asymmetric nose.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's the price to pay for trying to pass the nose air through a relatively long, small diameter tunnel, that only gets worse in yaw.

cdsavage
cdsavage

Alexgtt wrote:Have Lotus got real issues with the twin tusk? Why would you go to all the trouble of creating the clear run under the nose to the tea tray/splitter only to fill it up with turning vanes? I guess the presence of these means the air passing through is "dirty" and needs cleaning up before the splitter?

Maybe the price to pay for asymmetric nose.
The vanes are there (at least in part) for legality when using the snowplow addon - without them the nose would fall afoul of the single open section rule.

stefan_
stefan_

China 2014 - Thursday (17.04.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Blackout

Tiny VGs under the diffuser's central channetl like the RB10

jagunx51

Blackout wrote:Tiny VGs under the diffuser's central channetl like the RB10
http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Lot ... 772466.jpg
still no explanation of why they put asymmetry exhaust ?
............!!!!

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

^^^
I suggest. To minimise drag they want just 1 strut to the DRS actuator. With a central exhaust it would be displaced much to one side so instead they offset the exhaust a bit so they could lessen the offset of the strut.

Blackout

Edit: GRO did test an updated version of the old diffuser (old diff+small VGs) while MAL tested an updated version of the new diffuser http://images.adrivo.com/images/950/q_8 ... 574647.jpg

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.