Lotus E22 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Shafto

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

Don't look too bad to me. Looks kinda good.

Crucial_Xtreme

I saw Scarbs mention the camera on an AutoSport Plus article. In Brazil Lotus used a camera that was measuring front tyre contact patch & deflection.

via AutoSport

Manoah2u

seems to me like a hint that lotus, as they have been or intended before, to put effort in having a car that is light on the tires / having as little wear on it as possible.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

matt21

I´ve read somewhere, that Lotus has some "interesting solution" to transfer power from the engine to the rear wheels.
Does anybody know something more detailed about that rumour?

stefan_

Abu Dhabi 2014 - Thursday (20.11.2014)
https://twitter.com/Albrodpul/status/535478220389646336 Image

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

mikeerfol

So are they running the 2015 nose again tomorrow?

emmepi27

Exhaust's heat protection (Amus)

stefan_

And with the season finished, I hope that they will burn down both cars so they don't have to go back home with them.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

ericsonnek

Lotus during the post season tests in Abu Dhabi with a new Mercedes engine? :)

Manoah2u

can't imagine how they're going to just 'stuff' a Merc engine in a car that was designed for a Renault PU. Its not that it's impossible, but regarding the short time and the kind of team i'm doubtfull whether that'll actually happen.

But, you never know.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

trinidefender

Manoah2u wrote:can't imagine how they're going to just 'stuff' a Merc engine in a car that was designed for a Renault PU. Its not that it's impossible, but regarding the short time and the kind of team i'm doubtfull whether that'll actually happen.

But, you never know.
McLaren did it with the Honda engine

Moose

Manoah2u wrote:can't imagine how they're going to just 'stuff' a Merc engine in a car that was designed for a Renault PU. Its not that it's impossible, but regarding the short time and the kind of team i'm doubtfull whether that'll actually happen.

But, you never know.
Given that the Merc is more compact than the renault in pretty much every way, I doubt it'll be a major issue. If they were trying to go the other way, they'd need to manufacture new side pods etc, but this way they should be able to bodge it.

Blackout

It's impossible to bolt the Merc PU on the Lotus chassis, even if the mounting points are the same for everybody. Lotus needs to build a new monocoque to do that because the Merc compressor hangs in front of the engine and the Merc oil tank is very different etc... Lotus needs to dig a 'niche' in the monocoque that can host the Compressor, its airbox, the different oil tank etc... that would cost them muuuch money and muuch time. It's like making a new chassis.
Mounting a Renault PU on a Merc monocoque requires making a different Gear box too... a Gbox that can house the turbine AND the compressor...

mikeerfol

I'm sure if they were going to do it they would already announce it.

stefan_

They'll just have to stick to the dodgy Renault PU for a couple more days until the suffering is over :) There's no way they will going to use a Mercedes PU because, as Blackout wrote, even though the mounting points are the same for everyone you have to have a special chassis prepared to take another engine.