Marussia MR03 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Marussia MR03 Ferrari

Great. Seems to have a very low fuel tank!? the distance between the V6 and the monocoque looks big and there is plenty of space between the coque and the V6 manifold plenum... they placed some radiators there but which ones?
And now we know the Ferrari teams have the same/very syimlar exhaust manifold like the Merc teams whow use the same log style and unlike the Renault teams.

stefan_

Malaysia 2014 - Wednesday/Thursday (26/27.03.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Mandrake

Interestingly cut FW endplate. Simple, yet different from all the other solutions.

Blackout

stefan_

Bahrain 2014 - Thursday (04.03.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

PlatinumZealot

The Marussia Packaging is surprisingly well done. =D>
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bill shoe

About the best pics of a Ferrari engine install we've seen.

Marussia is in a grim place now. Caterham nailed a 13th last race to take the constructors lead from Marussia. Marussia now needs to either score a pair of 13th's, or they need to score a single 12th. This will be very difficult to achieve against the mid-field teams that are rapidly improving their speed and reliability.

Last season the collective minds of F1T determined that getting the 10th (and final) payout from Bernie depended on team performance over the last 3 years running. Caterham and Marussia each have a 10th and 11th constructors finish over the last two seasons. So the finishing order this year will determine who gets Bernie money in the future, and who will likely drop out of F1.

Here's the crazy thing. Remember at the end of 2012, Brazil, when the Caterham slid in the rain and took out the Marussia? That slide-crash was what got Caterham the 10th place constructors finish that year! If not for that lousy moment, Marussia would have won 10th in constructors for both 2012 and 2013, and would be collecting Bernie money already instead of Caterham. As it is, Marussia have no Bernie money now, and that 2012 slide-job may cost them again at the end of this season due to the 3-year rolling nature of the Bernie criteria. Weird how one little moment like that may very well define the business viability of a Formula 1 team.

EDIT: ...and moderators please let this post be, even though it mostly addresses team issues rather than technical issues. There are only 9 pages on Marussia total, so I don't see the need to divide it for clarity.

jagunx51

compare ....the wastegate on ferrari's engine is huge
............!!!!

On the Ferrari unit, if the compressor's at the top, surely the big pipe connects to the compressor to vent pressure, rather than the exhaust bypassing the turbine, suggesting that's a blowoff valve rather than a wastegate.

The lines intersecting in that area suggest (maybe) 3 pipes joining there:
Turbine exit, wastegate/bypass, blow-off valve...

JDC123

I can't understand the logic behind marussia's cooling arrangement, with large openings at the the end of the sidepods, obstructing air flow to the diffuser, yet choosing to use the shark fin on the engine cover. Surely opening the rear of the engine cover up and reducing the size of the outlets as they currently are would be a better strategy as this would improve air flow to the diffuser/floor, with only minor extra blockage to the central wing support which isn't using a monkey seat anyway.

joetoml1n

JDC123 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/cYiR2mW.jpg
I can't understand the logic behind marussia's cooling arrangement, with large openings at the the end of the sidepods, obstructing air flow to the diffuser, yet choosing to use the shark fin on the engine cover. Surely opening the rear of the engine cover up and reducing the size of the outlets as they currently are would be a better strategy as this would improve air flow to the diffuser/floor, with only minor extra blockage to the central wing support which isn't using a monkey seat anyway.
I'm sure the shark fin must be there to meet the minimum size of the engine cover body work, rather than for any significant benefit.

JDC123

joetoml1n wrote:
I'm sure the shark fin must be there to meet the minimum size of the engine cover body work, rather than for any significant benefit.
I understand that, however why wouldn't you open the rear of the engine cover up and reduce the size of the outlets at the end of the sidepods? Rather than do what they currently have and slim the engine cover down (requiring the shark fin) when there isn't much to be obstructed in the first place, resulting in the need for outlets to the side of the engine cover that obstruct air flow to the floor and diffuser.

joetoml1n

JDC123 wrote:
joetoml1n wrote:
I understand that, however why wouldn't you open the rear of the engine cover up and reduce the size of the outlets at the end of the sidepods? Rather than do what they currently have and slim the engine cover down (requiring the shark fin) when there isn't much to be obstructed in the first place, resulting in the need for outlets to the side of the engine cover that obstruct air flow to the floor and diffuser.
I hear you, Ferrari do a similar thing, opening cooling gills down the "back bone" of the engine cover.. I guess the gills offer much less cooling capabilities?

aleks_ader

joetoml1n wrote: I hear you, Ferrari do a similar thing, opening cooling gills down the "back bone" of the engine cover.. I guess the gills offer much less cooling capabilities?

I think those Ferrari gills offers or helps in engine cover down-wash towards coke bottle. That airflow is more directed (atacht if you like) as if we just make a very long slot (like i think especially Ferrari use last year) without gills near sharfin.

So...
-it improves cooling (hot air extraction) of turbo/MGU-H/exhaust
-as consequence they use as flow conditioners.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Crucial_Xtreme

Interesting image to the MR03 diffuser

via AMuS