F1 2014 Car Comparison Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Chuckjr

Re: F1 2014 Car Comparison Thread

Nice work.

So i guess we crossed wires...I thought this was in regards to both Lotus and Force India. The lotus is clearly not a bigger hole, but again, as I stated earlier, the FI is much larger from the angles I've observed. It really will be interesting to see if they surprise some folks. I'm sure Cheko is chomping at the bit to prove his worth after Macca booted him out.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

beelsebob wrote:Okay, so I compared the two with the photos above. The angles are not the same, so it's not great, but the above-the-car angle of the lotus shot should give it an advantage, so I think we can get something useful from it...

http://cl.ly/image/2C3l0a2T1d15/Image%2 ... 4%20pm.png

I scaled the two to get the front wings the same length, so that we're looking at the areas at the front reasonably accurately.

The results – the area under the nose on the lotus – around 7000 pixels. The area under the nose on the McLaren - around 7000 pixels.

Given that the angle of the photo on the lotus is not exactly head on, it will make the height of the hole appear greater than it is, so I get from this that the gap in the nose on the McLaren is larger (but not hugely) than on the lotus.
I took the liberty of double checking: Lotus area: 7400, McLaren 6500
I must admit that it 'felt' like a bigger difference. I still think though that the path of the airflow is less obstructed, clearer, in the case of the Lotus. With the McLaren, the channel tightens, the anteater nose, will have some wake. I think the airflow is better manageable in case of the Lotus.
But, it is butt ugly.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Jef Patat wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Okay, so I compared the two with the photos above. The angles are not the same, so it's not great, but the above-the-car angle of the lotus shot should give it an advantage, so I think we can get something useful from it...

http://cl.ly/image/2C3l0a2T1d15/Image%2 ... 4%20pm.png

I scaled the two to get the front wings the same length, so that we're looking at the areas at the front reasonably accurately.

The results – the area under the nose on the lotus – around 7000 pixels. The area under the nose on the McLaren - around 7000 pixels.

Given that the angle of the photo on the lotus is not exactly head on, it will make the height of the hole appear greater than it is, so I get from this that the gap in the nose on the McLaren is larger (but not hugely) than on the lotus.
Hmm, we must have done our estimations in subtly different ways, the exact output of the sums that I did were 7030 to Lotus, and 6979 for McLaren.
I must admit that it 'felt' like a bigger difference. I still think though that the path of the airflow is less obstructed, clearer, in the case of the Lotus. With the McLaren, the channel tightens
Right, which is a good thing, that's a deliberate design to speed up the air flow. If you look at every 2013 car, you'll see that the channel under the nose tightens.
the anteater nose, will have some wake.
I have a feeling that that too is actually a good thing, it will draw more air in from the sides to fill that low pressure zone.
I think the airflow is better manageable in case of the Lotus.
This is where we really disagree – the McLaren seems closer to the 2013 designs, where they were able to optimally manage things, so I think most likely it's better managed under there.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

beelsebob wrote:
Hmm, we must have done our estimations in subtly different ways, the exact output of the sums that I did were 7030 to Lotus, and 6979 for McLaren.
This is where we really disagree – the McLaren seems closer to the 2013 designs, where they were able to optimally manage things, so I think most likely it's better managed under there.
I used paint.net magic wand and set tolerance to 15%, can't seem to get anywhere near the numbers you are getting.

We don't have to disagree on anything, I'm by no means anywhere near as educated in this field as most of you are. My education was electronics master. So I have no techincal background whatsoever in the aerodynamics field, only a deep interest in the technical side of this sport. Posting my ideas is by no means telling the truth. Seeing them corrected is a good way to learn however. The way you put it made me look at the lotus nose in a whole different way.

So, long story short, thanks for your input =D>

beelsebob
beelsebob

Jef Patat wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
I used paint.net magic wand and set tolerance to 15%, can't seem to get anywhere near the numbers you are getting.
Hah, that's actually a much better way of estimating than I used, +1.

So yeh, at least from these angles the hole in the lotus is slightly bigger. I suspect that would be normalised if we got a shot of the lotus actually head on.
We don't have to disagree on anything, I'm by no means anywhere near as educated in this field as most of you are. My education was electronics master. So I have no techincal background whatsoever in the aerodynamics field, only a deep interest in the technical side of this sport.
Meh, arguments to authority suck anyway, if you think you're right, say why, and someone else can tell you why you're not if you aren't. In this case, I'm pretty sure you're more right than me. Plus... I'm a CS major, not anything to do with aero anyway, so it's not like I'm an authority either ;)

Blackout

Rake - rear crash-structure design - RW endplate design - sidepod undercut etc

Sevach
Sevach

Red Bull still has a ton of rake.

I find the Mercedes high crash structure very unique, might be their coup, i wonder if it's gonna get copied.

zioture
zioture

Differences exhaust manifolds: Lotus - Ferrari

Ferraripilot

The new Mclaren nose looks as if the underside borrows a bit from Caterham.

zioture
zioture

Cooling gills on Ferrari and different engine cover Ferrari VS Mercedes

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

zioture
zioture

Radiatori Sauber e Ferrari

Godius

Can someone help me out to find out the reason why the VJM07 has such a short wheelbase, perfect for street-esque circuits, but on the other hand they are running very long gears. Peter Windsor noticed that the VJM07 had the longest gear ratio of all the teams at the pre-season Bahrain test.

It's doesn't make sense to me, If you are building a short wheelbase car, why not implement a shorter gear ratio? This car seems like it is a jack of all trades, master of none. The long gear ratio might be very handy at low downforce circuits but you generally want a stiffer and preferably long wheelbase car for those type of circuits.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Wheelbase makes only a minor difference to cornering characteristics. It won't be any better on street circuits I'm afraid. They most likely did it to help with keeping the weight down, but it comes at the expense of less floor area and thus downforce.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Godius

Owen.C93 wrote:Wheelbase makes only a minor difference to cornering characteristics. It won't be any better on street circuits I'm afraid. They most likely did it to help with keeping the weight down, but it comes at the expense of less floor area and thus downforce.
Thank you for this explanation. IIRC the top teams, over the last couple of decades, always brought a short wheelbase car to street/high downforce tracks with lots of cornering. (except for the last couple of years)