F1 2014 Car Comparison Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93

Re: F1 2014 Car Comparison Thread

Godius wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Wheelbase makes only a minor difference to cornering characteristics. It won't be any better on street circuits I'm afraid. They most likely did it to help with keeping the weight down, but it comes at the expense of less floor area and thus downforce.
Thank you for this explanation. IIRC the top teams, over the last couple of decades, always brought a short wheelbase car to street/high downforce tracks with lots of cornering. (except for the last couple of years)
I haven't heard of it in the past 5 years I know that for sure.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

timbo

Seems like DRS is not very effective this year.

heidenreich27

Re: AW: F1 2014 Car Comparison Thread

timbo wrote:Seems like DRS is not very effective this year.
Its not only drs, its the stupid ers, drivers use ers at overtaking places.
Ita nothing like kers who helps overtaking.

That ERS will block 99% overtakes.

Godius

Owen.C93 wrote:
Godius wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Wheelbase makes only a minor difference to cornering characteristics. It won't be any better on street circuits I'm afraid. They most likely did it to help with keeping the weight down, but it comes at the expense of less floor area and thus downforce.
Thank you for this explanation. IIRC the top teams, over the last couple of decades, always brought a short wheelbase car to street/high downforce tracks with lots of cornering. (except for the last couple of years)
Mercedes used their SWB car in 2010.

timbo

heidenreich27 wrote:

If both attacking and defending cars use it at the same time it should level out pretty much.

Blackout

Emerson.F

Less downforce, means less difference in speeds with DRS open than last year.
The previous cars had less torque so DRS was much more powerfull with the high revving engines. (with less torue)
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Owen.C93

Godius wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
Godius wrote: Thank you for this explanation. IIRC the top teams, over the last couple of decades, always brought a short wheelbase car to street/high downforce tracks with lots of cornering. (except for the last couple of years)
Mercedes used their SWB car in 2010.
Yeah but they had only extended their wheelbase the race before due to weight distribution issues so it wasn't exactly a proper change.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

timbo

Emerson.F wrote:Less downforce, means less difference in speeds with DRS open than last year.
I don't think it's that simple. We also have mandated longer chord DRS, so it should counteract loss of DF this year.
And I'm not sure I buy this:
Emerson.F wrote:The previous cars had less torque so DRS was much more powerfull with the high revving engines. (with less torue)
When you determine how fast you can potentially go, it's power that matters, as it is force times velocity. So the steady state condition when your engine produces work against drag and there's no acceleration it is power that matters.

Jano11

timbo wrote: When you determine how fast you can potentially go, it's power that matters, as it is force times velocity. So the steady state condition when your engine produces work against drag and there's no acceleration it is power that matters.
Indeed, however you might need lots of distance to get to that theoretical highest speed, while more torque is what gets you to the optimum high speed in the shortest possible distance, due to higher acceleration.

PhillipM

Jano11 wrote:
timbo wrote: When you determine how fast you can potentially go, it's power that matters, as it is force times velocity. So the steady state condition when your engine produces work against drag and there's no acceleration it is power that matters.
Indeed, however you might need lots of distance to get to that theoretical highest speed, while more torque is what gets you to the optimum high speed in the shortest possible distance, due to higher acceleration.

No, that's still power.

trinidefender

PhillipM wrote:
Jano11 wrote:

No, that's still power.
I think what he is trying to say is that these new engines produce more power at a lower rpm with a broader torque curve and slightly less power. Therefore getting up to certain speed may be quicker in these cars (plus the reduction in drag).

Jef Patat

Might be interesting in the comparison discussion, don't know how accurate this is though.
I think the braking shows the impact of the increased ERS nicely.
https://twitter.com/piusgasso/status/449860505986162688 Image

raymondu999

Godius wrote:Mercedes used their SWB car in 2010.
Not for vehicle dynamics purposes - but because their car without that swb could not physically turn enough at Monaco
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Godius

timbo wrote:
heidenreich27 wrote:

If both attacking and defending cars use it at the same time it should level out pretty much.
To my opinion, drivers that had DRS available on the back straight rather wanted to wait to make their move on the main straight because of all the off-apex marbles in turn 15.