Need info on Brawn GP BGP 001...

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1-76

Need info on Brawn GP BGP 001...

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster! Hopefully some of you can help me.

1-Are there any BGP 001's with the original type of Mercedes-Benz FO108W engine still in it?

2- Are there any BGP 001's still fully operational, and if so do they still have a Mercedes-Benz FO108W engine or has something replaced it for some reason? Pretty sure I read Ross' personal one was fully gone through last year and is up and running. But I can't find proof, nor what engine it has in it.

3-I know technically there were three chassis' made. From what I read, Ross has one and Jenson has one. Where is the other? Is it the one Mercedes-Benz repainted? They still own it?

Any insight would be helpful, along with links and/or images.

beelsebob

Re: Need info on Brawn GP BGP 001...

I would be very surprised by there being any with a working original engine in. Remember, those engines lasted 4 races, and no more. Over engineering it to do more than that would lead to the car not being a WDC winning car.

l4mbch0ps

They can only be run 4 races under the conditions that F1 requires and allows. If you took that engine, after 4 F1 races, and let a high end machine shop at it, I'm positive it could run again... it's not like they completely self destruct after 4 races, they simply fall out of spec for the reliability and performance tolerances of an F1 race.

RicerDude

Mercedes show car from a few years back. I think they use the W03 now for show car duties so not sure if this one still runs.

marcush.

I was always under the Impression one or more Honda Chassis of the BGP 001 were build and subsequently modified to accept the Mercedes powerplant?
Surely neither Brawns nor Buttons machine will be in operational condition as received from Daimler. so this leaves just the one which was used a few years ago ..sure Daimler will store this important piece off their new F1 racing heritage.

Pierce89

marcush. wrote:I was always under the Impression one or more Honda Chassis of the BGP 001 were build and subsequently modified to accept the Mercedes powerplant?
Surely neither Brawns nor Buttons machine will be in operational condition as received from Daimler. so this leaves just the one which was used a few years ago ..sure Daimler will store this important piece off their new F1 racing heritage.
I think Jenson's was contractually required to be complete, I'm sure it has a Merc v8 just not necessarily the 09 spec.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Crucial_Xtreme

Where is the car thread for the BGP 001? I can't find it.

Richard

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Where is the car thread for the BGP 001? I can't find it.
Photo Comparison Brawn BGP001 - Honda RA108 :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=6626

Brawn BGP001 aero-mech development in 2009 :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=6617

marcush.

Pierce89 wrote:
marcush. wrote:I was always under the Impression one or more Honda Chassis of the BGP 001 were build and subsequently modified to accept the Mercedes powerplant?
I think Jenson's was contractually required to be complete, I'm sure it has a Merc v8 just not necessarily the 09 spec.
complete does not say you could run it .... :wtf:

No Daimler access -no engine start.simple as that.

astracrazy

RicerDude wrote:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... rfield.jpg

Mercedes show car from a few years back. I think they use the W03 now for show car duties so not sure if this one still runs.
god how rubbish does the car look in that livery. The brawn livery really did show off her curves

ESPImperium

Heres the chassis info for the BGP001.

RA109-01: Rolling Display Chassis - STORED
RA109-02: Rolling Display Chassis - STORED
BGP001-01: Active Display Chassis - STORED In Ross Brawn Collection - In Brawn colours
BGP001-02: Active Display Chassis - STORED, Awaiting Jenson Button retirement - In Brawn Abu Dhabi Livery
BGP001-03: Active Display Chassis - STORED, In Mercedes Benz AMG colours & Livery in Mercedes Benz museum in Germany

All cars, apart from RA109s have a full spares package available with gearbox, electronics and two steering wheels each car comes with enough trackside equipment to run the cars. However to run it you need a Mercedes FO108 power plant, and that is a single €200,000 rental fee with a rebuild after 3,000km if RPM exceeds 13,000, if not it will last an astronomical 10,000km before a rebuild.

Jensons car will be presented to him at at time after he retires, just like Sebastian Vettel getting his RB8-05 chassis when he leaves Ferrari or retires. Unlike Alonso who has both his championship Renaults as it was written in to his contract he would get them after 5 years away from the team. Yes he spent 08/09 with the Renault team, the original contract that ended in 06 had to be respected in that area. Kimi dons have his championship F2007, as Ferrari hold the car in 'active' state for him to use whenever he wants with the Corse Clenti Department, he used that car in the 2014 Goodwood Festival. Hamilton will never get his MP4/23 as it wasn't written into his contract, but McLaren have said he can use it when he wants as long as he isn't involved with any F1 team.

You knew the chassis data guy would deliver an answer, and I'm sure probably more.

countersteer

Please excuse my ignorance... Can you tell me the difference in a "Rolling Display Chassis" and an "Active Display Chassis"?

I could guess but would rather know the facts.

Thanks..

ESPImperium

Rolling Display means it can be rolled into position easily without need for dollies or crane, its axles are liquid and fluid on other words. They often lack many of the items to make them a active display chassis, engine electronic components and many other items.
Static Display is a model that is pretty much static and needs help of dollies and sometimes a crane, its axles are often rigid. Sometimes a Static display can have a fully functioning front but a static rear as well.
Active display chassis are chassis that have all, or most (engine is generally the item missing) of the items that need to run on a track at minimal notice.

gerishnikov

I think your over thinking it a bit, rolling is just your ttypical static show car you see, nearly always a Frankenstein car made up of a whole mixture of bits, no engine. Active is a running show car, these often run modified engines and transmission components to deal with the stress of performing donuts etc for displays.

Well that's the case for all the cars I've ever worked on.

Pierce89

marcush. wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
complete does not say you could run it .... :wtf:

No Daimler access -no engine start.simple as that.
I'm sure Mclaren could get it running for Jense, back then they had access to the source code and they built the ecu.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher