2015 Noses merged thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
goonerf1

Re: 2015 Noses merged thread

What a wonderful looking car :).

Manoah2u

SiLo wrote:And looks very similar to the Merc nose. Maybe Merc should take note?
Once again this year, the best looking car has been fastest :P
actually, the caterham atleast with the updated nose looks the best and is the slowest.....

but anyway great design again by MCdesing, last year did a great Mclaren impression too.
enjoying these design idea's. wonder what teams will have something that will look a like.

taking notice though is a tad late, all teams will have their 2015 competitor worked out designwise and
will be in the process of getting it into real world models, testing, windtunnel testing, then crashtesting,
and finalizing.

anyone changing their design philosophy now will have a huge setback which frankly will be hard perhaps impossible
to overcome.

I'd imagine only Lotus after having tested their low-nose instead of tusk-nose they ran this year might have the possibility to adapt it slightly into this direction. Mclaren probably will keep their philosophy like they have this year more or less.

assuming most of the teams have intended to go with the current nose designs just slightly adapted to comply with 2015 rules, since it makes no sense entering a fresh era in 2014 then completely overturning it for 2015 (lotus unfortunately for them took a very unwise turn there) and having essentially to start from scratch again - i don't think there will be big changes for 2015.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

I was thinking the FIA were angling for a slightly pointier one of these:

His far off the 2015 regs is a BGP style nose?

WaikeCU

Manoah2u wrote:
SiLo wrote:And looks very similar to the Merc nose. Maybe Merc should take note?
Once again this year, the best looking car has been fastest :P
actually, the caterham atleast with the updated nose looks the best and is the slowest.....
Before the existence of Mercedes F1, it used to Brawn. So it would make sense to me that somewhere deep down in R&D at Brackley, there's still some plans and data regarding that very special Brawn GP car in 2009.

Caterham's nose does look great, but the package of Caterham generally is poor. So it doesn't matter how great the nose could be, if everything else is poor, it simply would not work.

OO7
OO7

Why is the nose of the 50% scale 2015 Marussia model so long, what benefit would such a design bring?

I'm surprised by Scarbs' comments that the Mercedes W06 will feature a Marussia 2015 style nose.

variante

Blaze1 wrote:Why is the nose of the 50% scale 2015 Marussia model so long, what benefit would such a design bring?
I guess that a low budget team such as Marussia wanted to pass frontal crash tests without big expenditures... A very short nose implies hard work tuning carbon fiber layers in order to pass FIA's crash test, and Marussia coul'd afford it.
Probably there's an aerodynamic factor as well...maybe a long nose suits better Marussia's aerodynamics...but it's hard for us to judge that aspect

OO7
OO7

variante wrote:
Blaze1 wrote:Why is the nose of the 50% scale 2015 Marussia model so long, what benefit would such a design bring?
I guess that a low budget team such as Marussia wanted to pass frontal crash tests without big expenditures... A very short nose implies hard work tuning carbon fiber layers in order to pass FIA's crash test, and Marussia coul'd afford it.
Probably there's an aerodynamic factor as well...maybe a long nose suits better Marussia's aerodynamics...but it's hard for us to judge that aspect
That is what crossed my mind variante, which is also why I mentioned Scarbs' W06 comment. Perhaps Scarbs was talking specifically about the nose tip design and not nose length. If that is the case I'd expect the W06 to have minimum length nose.

It could be argued that the following design (what I would expect from Mercedes) is very similar to that of the 2015 Marussia, if we assume the use of vanity panels to improve/smooth the shaping and aesthetics:

scarbs

A longer nose is easier to crash test, there's certainly some teams that will not be able to create a short nose that will pass the crash test.

For those better funded teams capable of a short nose, might still find a longer nose a lighter solution.

But also...

As the nose tip is now forced to be much closer to the front wing, its likely the teams will make somethign of the interaction between the two and curve the nose's underside over the centre wing section to create some downforce from the diverging gap between nose and track behind the FW section. Perhaps aided by the frotn wing pylons and a chin fairing as seen on the Red Bull this year. Lotus acheived something similar with thier short nose tested earlier this year.

My information is that most teams will run with longer noses, with a distinct short finger (thumb?) sticking out from the end

OO7
OO7

scarbs wrote:A longer nose is easier to crash test, there's certainly some teams that will not be able to create a short nose that will pass the crash test.

For those better funded teams capable of a short nose, might still find a longer nose a lighter solution.

But also...

As the nose tip is now forced to be much closer to the front wing, its likely the teams will make somethign of the interaction between the two and curve the nose's underside over the centre wing section to create some downforce from the diverging gap between nose and track behind the FW section. Perhaps aided by the frotn wing pylons and a chin fairing as seen on the Red Bull this year. Lotus acheived something similar with thier short nose tested earlier this year.

My information is that most teams will run with longer noses, with a distinct short finger (thumb?) sticking out from the end
Thanks Scarbs'
Regarding your bolded final paragraph, do the regulations prohibit the use of a vanity panel to cover up/smooth over the 'thumb'?

scarbs

Yes the thumb could be covered just as this year's finger could have been. But I suspect many will keep it as narrow as possible to open up the airflow or even make it an aero feature.

zioture

Here is the result of a project 3d made with solidThinking, by engineer Aimar has used rmeasures 2015. It has been done before you see the pictures of Marussia, so I think this solution is similar as possible in 2015.

Hail22

Even though this is a model / mock up by Silverstone paints for what I'm assuming is for a private customer of a 2014 chassis with Senna livery...could that nose type "theoretically" be legal for 2015? Albeit the front nose profile being more narrow than the duck / platypus bill shown in the model.

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Rhodium

i don't know what is it, but i'm loving it.

if 2015 nose are like that, i'm very happy.

(livery is pretty cool too !)

OO7
OO7

Hail22 wrote:Even though this is a model / mock up by Silverstone paints for what I'm assuming is for a private customer of a 2014 chassis with Senna livery...could that nose type "theoretically" be legal for 2015? Albeit the front nose profile being more narrow than the duck / platypus bill shown in the model.
If the 2015 technical regulations prevent the vanity panel from extending beyond the nose tip, then the nose of that model wouldn't be legal, as it doesn't appear to be thick enough at a point 50mm behind the tip to fit the required cross-sectional dimensions.

f1316

Question: what, if anything, about the f14t's nose would be illegal for 2015?

If nothing/little, surely Ferrari at least are likely to stick with this concept rather than the long 'thumb'? After all, could they not have had a long thumb this year if they thought it was better?