McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Redragon

Re: McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

Mclaren will present their new car online, interesting, have they done that before?

FrukostScones

Redragon wrote:Mclaren will present their new car online, interesting, have they done that before?
I think it depends what "online launch" means. (they had online streams of real life presentations before..,)

But maybe it will comme out of a virtual garage thi time... :mrgreen:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

JoeE

PhillipM wrote:I don't know, they might have not done great with the rear blockers last year, but that combined with the rad position and sidepods was all new ground, and all very interlinked (the blockers work better with air coming around the undercut than over the sidepod, so you can reduce sidepod lift as well as helping the 'blockers' the more air you can get around the side), maybe if they've managed to shrink the sidepods further with the Honda/development they'll keep or introduce a new version of the rear blockers?

Am sure I read somewhere these where removed by PP almost right away. I dont see them coming back at all.

Id like to see a clean MP4-30, nothing fancy or "new", just an plain clean car, with development ahead of itself. The past few years they come with something new that isn't worth it

Trocola

Redragon wrote:Mclaren will present their new car online, interesting, have they done that before?
I think it is the same they did last year: they released a few pictures

taperoo2k

JoeE wrote:
PhillipM wrote:I don't know, they might have not done great with the rear blockers last year, but that combined with the rad position and sidepods was all new ground, and all very interlinked (the blockers work better with air coming around the undercut than over the sidepod, so you can reduce sidepod lift as well as helping the 'blockers' the more air you can get around the side), maybe if they've managed to shrink the sidepods further with the Honda/development they'll keep or introduce a new version of the rear blockers?

Am sure I read somewhere these where removed by PP almost right away. I dont see them coming back at all.

Id like to see a clean MP4-30, nothing fancy or "new", just an plain clean car, with development ahead of itself. The past few years they come with something new that isn't worth it
I believe they've been shelved, but might be bought back at some point. Guess it depends if PP finds a way of making them work with his design philosophy. All I've heard about the MP4-30 is that it's going to be an innovative design, but that sounds like atypical McLaren/Ron PR speak.

JoeE

taperoo2k wrote: I believe they've been shelved, but might be bought back at some point. Guess it depends if PP finds a way of making them work with his design philosophy. All I've heard about the MP4-30 is that it's going to be an innovative design, but that sounds like atypical McLaren/Ron PR speak.

The car has supposed to have been innovative this past few years, maybe that's code for slow :lol: Yea but Id agree, typical Rod speak.

Did anyone see the fine example of Ronspeak in the CNN video. I near :-s

damager21

McLaren has finally removed images showing MP4-29 on Facebook and Twitter page with the following. Was wondering all this while as to why they are continuing to show their Mercedes powered car on their social media page.

Following is their new launch promo

astracrazy

yeah for years they have been doing online launches where you can watch the presentation online

although i think they only showed pictures last year?

the one i remember the most was the 26(?) - where they built the car in the middle of that city. One year Natalia Pinkham hosted an event too, think that was the 28, where they drove different mclaren cars into the event.

So yeah, sometimes they do some interesting stuff.

scarbs

Mclaren have always invited media to attend their launches. however this year it is online only, no media will be able to see the actual car. In fact no team is doing a full 2015 car launch most of the cars will be seen for the first time in the pit lane at the first test

Mesteño

I still find it odd. I mean, last year there was a huge change in the rules and there were media launches, this year teams have had more time to focus on 2015 car. Plus media launches always atract sponsorships, and McLaren needs them.

GoranF1

Mesteño wrote:I still find it odd. I mean, last year there was a huge change in the rules and there were media launches, this year teams have had more time to focus on 2015 car. Plus media launches always atract sponsorships, and McLaren needs them.

that could be PP's request,remeber how protective RedBull staff was over the media in the last few lounches RB had.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

astracrazy

i'm sure mclaren didn't even invite media last year?

mikeerfol

astracrazy wrote:i'm sure mclaren didn't even invite media last year?
Yeah, I think it was pictures only.

Trocola

astracrazy wrote:i'm sure mclaren didn't even invite media last year?
They didn't. They showed some pictures and that was all.

It was two years ago when they did a media show, with button driving a P1