McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bauc

Re: McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

mclaren111 wrote:I read an article a while ago where Arai apparently said that the most important thing is to make the PU as powerful as possible at the start, since you are allowed to make changes to the PU for Reliability during the year.

A very good approach I think - if true ?? !!
Yes I believe you are allowed to make changes based on reliability/safety grounds so we should expect the mp4-30 to have a nice package in the back :D
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

CjC
CjC

mclaren111 wrote:I read an article a while ago where Arai apparently said that the most important thing is to make the PU as powerful as possible at the start, since you are allowed to make changes to the PU for Reliability during the year.

Does sound sensible but

http://m.skysports.com/article/formula1//9607942

Last paragraph, teddy says there are rumours that it's underpowered and thirsty??

Rumours I know but oh my goodness...
Lol
Just a fan's point of view

Javert

CjC wrote:

Does sound sensible but

Last paragraph, teddy says there are rumours that it's underpowered and thirsty??

Lol
Other voices say the Honda has currently the best ICE ..

Difficult to say anything :mrgreen:

CjC
CjC

Very true.

I'm sure that could be the case and I'm definitely sure there will be characters that work for mclarem and honda who think this is a bit of alright this engine and will joke with their rival piers 'it's thirsty and underpowered', just like I'd say that I'm underpaid and over worked :D

It's just speculation, like the name of the thread.
Just a fan's point of view

Th3GoodSon

I think the rumors Ted is referring to are those we have seen before in the Italian motoring press - I'm not sure it's a new source. It'll be very interesting to see how the engine performs in the new year and who was right!

diffuser

akshat21 wrote:
Sasha wrote:MP4-30 will have full PP thinking AERO.

Honda always liked air-cooled over water-cooled,so the air-to-air intercooler was already designed in before PP started.

Honda engines are almost always over built(heavy) it's first version(first year)so they must find ways to get the CG lower
(air-to-air intercooler in sidepod does that).
Wouldn't that be counter productive.. Right now they have a free hand in developing the engine to its mightiest. Next year, they will be restricted in how they can develop the Engine. Ferrari and Renault can change over 40% of their engines for 2015 IIRC. For 2016, the change i think is around ~25-30% (Am not sure on the exact number).

If Honda develop intentionally an underperforming / overweight engine to begin with, they may be stuck with a certain handicap that they may not be able to overcome.
2016 rules have really been put up in the air. Right now only a simple majority is required to change the 2016 rules. Honda Renault and Ferrari saying they want increased PU development for 2016.

McMrocks

CjC wrote:

Does sound sensible but

Lol
100kg/h down the straight i presume?!

the only way a current engine can be thirsty is if it burns a lot of fuel when the driver is off-thorttle

Moose

McMrocks wrote:100kg/h down the straight i presume?!

the only way a current engine can be thirsty is if it burns a lot of fuel when the driver is off-thorttle
No, the engines are not binary things. They are not either on throttle, and using 100kg/h, or off throttle and using 0kg/h. There are many gradations in between, that the drivers use a lot of the time.

Thunder

diffuser wrote: 2016 rules have really been put up in the air. Right now only a simple majority is required to change the 2016 rules. Honda Renault and Ferrari saying they want increased PU development for 2016.
Didn't Honda say they go with the majority?

Right now with 9 Teams Honda can practically decide where the Team Votes go to. If they vote with Merc (4 Votes) everything stays the same, if they vote with Ferrari (2) and Renault (2) everything will blow up.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Harsha

Thunders wrote:
diffuser wrote: 2016 rules have really been put up in the air. Right now only a simple majority is required to change the 2016 rules. Honda Renault and Ferrari saying they want increased PU development for 2016.
Didn't Honda say they go with the majority?

Right now with 9 Teams Honda can practically decide where the Team Votes go to. If they vote with Merc (4 Votes) everything stays the same, if they vote with Ferrari (2) and Renault (2) everything will blow up.
I think Honda might not want to stuck up if they have issues which might push them to renault/ferrari forget bernie NA crap for a while

Manoah2u

I'd not be surprised at all to see Mclaren-Honda at the front of the field, something tells me Alonso would never have
concidered joining Mclaren to just be in the same position he's been with Ferrari the last years. Why change from a non-working and non-future job to a non-working and non-future job?

I'm suspect from midyear that Alonso has seen some intel figures and he was confident he'd be at the front in 2015,
that smile about his 'options' was way to suspicious.

Curious to see what Renault and Ferrari would have in store if Honda indeed manages to be on par with Mercedes.
Is Ferrari actually planning to do a 'new' engine? can't remember reading about that? I know Renault is hiring Ilmor and RedBull themselves have taken effort to improve their power supply. so what about Ferrari?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ParkerArt

Manoah2u wrote:I'd not be surprised at all to see Mclaren-Honda at the front of the field, something tells me Alonso would never have
concidered joining Mclaren to just be in the same position he's been with Ferrari the last years. Why change from a non-working and non-future job to a non-working and non-future job?

I'm suspect from midyear that Alonso has seen some intel figures and he was confident he'd be at the front in 2015,
that smile about his 'options' was way to suspicious.

Curious to see what Renault and Ferrari would have in store if Honda indeed manages to be on par with Mercedes.
Is Ferrari actually planning to do a 'new' engine? can't remember reading about that? I know Renault is hiring Ilmor and RedBull themselves have taken effort to improve their power supply. so what about Ferrari?
I assume it's similar to the situation that Lewis was in after 2012. In this case, McLaren might be courting Alonso with the prospects of the 2016 car. Maybe the -30 car will be fighting at the front of the field like the 2013 W04 was but I would doubt it.

That being said, I though Hamilton was insane to switch to Mercedes from arguably the fastest car on the grid to whatever was going to come after the lack luster W03. Yes, that car won Rosberg a race and MSC a what could have been pole in Monaco but the second half of the season, the car was no where.

Moose

ParkerArt wrote:I assume it's similar to the situation that Lewis was in after 2012. In this case, McLaren might be courting Alonso with the prospects of the 2016 car. Maybe the -30 car will be fighting at the front of the field like the 2013 W04 was but I would doubt it.

That being said, I though Hamilton was insane to switch to Mercedes from arguably the fastest car on the grid to whatever was going to come after the lack luster W03. Yes, that car won Rosberg a race and MSC a what could have been pole in Monaco but the second half of the season, the car was no where.
Getting OT, but I can only assume that Ross Brawn revealed a fair few semi-secrets in terms of the perf numbers they were getting from the engine/chassis combo. They always did say that 2014 was the year.

KingHamilton01

promodru will get the car right if he has had enough time!
McLaren Mercedes