Mclaren MP4-29H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FW17

Re: Mclaren MP4-29H

A speed gearbox doesn't help the sound either. If they had only 5 they will be using a wider rpm range.

trinidefender

turbof1 wrote:More noise means more wasted energy. It's not necessarily good or bad in terms of raw power (for instance a V12 will always make more noise then a V6), but it does mean the mgu-h isn't harvesting enough as it should be.

But that means nothing at this point, for all we know they didn't run any mgu's.
The noise reduction from turbocharger turbines is a side effect of taking energy out of the exhaust. The turbocharger/MGU-H turbine does not directly harvest sonic energy, it simply adds a restriction into the exhaust that blocks much of the sonic (sound) energy. A different design of turbocharger will generally give different sound characteristics.

It is my view that the Honda power unit, if it is actually louder, could be for two reasons, neither of which have to do with efficiency. One being simply a different turbocharger/MGU-H design and the other being that they may have been using the wastegate more than other teams. If it is the wastegate then yes, it is wasted energy.

turbof1

trinidefender wrote:
turbof1 wrote:More noise means more wasted energy. It's not necessarily good or bad in terms of raw power (for instance a V12 will always make more noise then a V6), but it does mean the mgu-h isn't harvesting enough as it should be.

But that means nothing at this point, for all we know they didn't run any mgu's.
The noise reduction from turbocharger turbines is a side effect of taking energy out of the exhaust. The turbocharger/MGU-H turbine does not directly harvest sonic energy, it simply adds a restriction into the exhaust that blocks much of the sonic (sound) energy. A different design of turbocharger will generally give different sound characteristics.

It is my view that the Honda power unit, if it is actually louder, could be for two reasons, neither of which have to do with efficiency. One being simply a different turbocharger/MGU-H design and the other being that they may have been using the wastegate more than other teams. If it is the wastegate then yes, it is wasted energy.
I never meant to claim it was directly harvesting sonic energy (now that would be awesome, a MGU-S!).
#AeroFrodo

Richard

Now you mention it, tuning an exhaust to ensure the pressure waves maintain back pressure is a sort of MGU-S. It's utilising the sonic pulses to increase the efficiency of the engine.

R_Redding

Richard wrote:Now you mention it, tuning an exhaust to ensure the pressure waves maintain back pressure is a sort of MGU-S. It's utilising the sonic pulses to increase the efficiency of the engine.
Is exhaust tuning as benefial to a turbocharged engine,as it is non turbo ?. The scavenging of the engine gases ,the Kadenacy effect , is less of an advantage as the new charge is being forced in by the compressor.

I was surprised to see the intricate exhaust that Ferrari and Renault use ..

The Mercs cast "Log" exhaust was much more like the type of exhaust on turbo engines I've seen , be they petrol or diesel for aero , plant ,train etc and car engines. Audi ,and others have been using the log style on their v6s etc for some time now. I know cost is a major factor , but Merc would have used tuned exhausts if the data was compelling.

How its made Audi v6 tdi log exhaust at 3.37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C66Q3PG4MA8

R_Redding

I went to the 2014 Friday session at Silverstone ..

The "live" noise of the 2014 engines is not dissapointing... they sound very much like that McHonda video and will damage your hearing ,just as before.

The FOM feed is somehow at fault...It is very different to being there in person.

edit.. Another factor ...is the absence of the crowd at Silverstone. The arena sound will be dampened and somewhat dissapated by the crowd .
Any musicians here will know how a practise or sound check with no crowd sounds completely different to the same space filled with people.

bauc

Mclaren to run the 29H at the post season test

"Furthermore, we are now only a few days away from formally commencing our technical partnership with Honda, and, subject to satisfactory final bench-testing, it is currently our intention to run our interim development car, the McLaren MP4-29H/1X1, on the test days that will follow the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix."

The MP4-29H/1X1 debuted in the hands of test driver Oliver Turvey at a filming day last Friday at Silverstone Circuit.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Edax

R_Redding wrote:
Richard wrote:Now you mention it, tuning an exhaust to ensure the pressure waves maintain back pressure is a sort of MGU-S. It's utilising the sonic pulses to increase the efficiency of the engine.
Is exhaust tuning as benefial to a turbocharged engine,as it is non turbo ?. The scavenging of the engine gases ,the Kadenacy effect , is less of an advantage as the new charge is being forced in by the compressor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C66Q3PG4MA8
That's also what I'm wondering. The effect of cylinder scavenging is pretty straightforward, but with a turbo I can at best think of some effects which only would work in a very narrow engine RPM range (though by no means and expert).

With the log I can see a lot of benefit (as discussed in another thread). When you compare the Merc and the Renault/Ferrari solution, you can see that the gases that enter the turbine in the merc are several tens of degrees hotter than in the case of the Renault/Ferrari solution. Just compare the amount of radiating surface and the amount of thermal insulation.

In my simplistic mind that means more energy for the turbo.

It also means less energy you need to remove from the sidepods, less effort (weigth) to shield sensitive components from header radiation, and overall tighter packaging due to the lower volume of exhaust piping.

The positive effect of exhaust tuning must be pretty substantial to offset that.

Mercedes developes its own super and turbochargers. Renault and Fiat buy their turbo's in for street cars, they don't have their own turbo development. I wonder whether they have sourced this out. If so, that could perhaps explain why Mercedes seems to have a tighter integration of engine, exhaust and turbine.

Anyway, will be interesting to see what road Honda has taken. I think they also have their own turbo development.

Manoah2u

a question probably asked before and probably answered before, but i couldn't find how to locate it through seach;

obviously you'd want to test the engine on an actual representative 'vehicle' because that is where it was intended to
be used for - and obviously, regulations hold that this is quite a restricted possibility, but..

frankly, you could mount this F1 engine to ANY vehicle you want and test it ANY way you want on track, in the rain, whatever so long as it's not a F1 car currently running or a car younger then 3 years old?

i'd be curious whether tests with non-current f1 cars can provide comparable or usefull data,
or whether testing rigs actually provide enough representative data?

I'd assume cooling is something you'd prefer to have real life data instead of indoor simulations?
I also assume that this Mclaren-Honda test thus could very well be more about cooling than anything else,
since i think torque figures and stress figures can be obtained with a non-f1 car just the same, perhaps even
through a testing rig.

which lands me to the ultimate question;

are there regulations in regards to F1 engine testing?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

turbof1

Guys, I'm locking this thread since focus is going back to the current MP4-29. I understand and agree that the updates brought to the front wing and possible to other parts of the car, are for 2015. However, discussion needs to be centralised in one topic and since I don't believe they'll test the Honda PU before the test, I think this topic suits the least relevant. Once the weekend is over and the test starts, I'll reopen this topic.
#AeroFrodo

zioture

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

Some details of the PU honda

Last edited by zioture on 24 Nov 2014, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.

Blanchimont

zioture wrote:Some details of the PU honda

https://scontent-a-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 5500_o.jpg
So, it looks like the compressor is ahead of the engine as on the Mercedes car.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

FW17

Blanchimont wrote:

That could be the intercooler to intake plenum

Blanchimont

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

That could be the intercooler to intake plenum
I thought the arrows pointing at the metallic parts indicate it could be the compressor!?
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Owen.C93

You can see the air box is the same design as the Mercedes engine, so it looks to have the compressor in the front.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)