Mclaren MP4-29H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Trocola
Trocola

Re: Mclaren MP4-29H

KingHamilton01 wrote:
Trocola wrote: And if it is real what someone said on the previous page, that Honda had two different engine combinations (split turbo and "normal" turbo), this day with only 2 laps is a total failure.
Running the engine before next year's testing is a failure...? I think anything the can learn between now and when they first roll out the new car for pre-season is a bonus, not what I class as a total failure.
That's why i said "if it is real that honda had two different engines to test".

I do not think that they can compare two engines when they have done only 3 laps.

I would have said it was a great day with only 20 or 30 laps, nothing more. But only 3? I do not believe that "it is completly new" excuse, because they run the car two weeks ago. And apparently without problems. And today, 3 laps and one stop on track.

They need to use all the time available to run the engine because the other teams have a one year advantage over them.

chenpei24730
chenpei24730

mclaren111 wrote:Big changes to overall bodywork: Sidepods looks a lot "smaller" :

http://en.espnf1.com/PICTURES/CMS/28100/28175.jpg
wow! Sidepods really seem so tiny

chenpei24730
chenpei24730

Thunders wrote:@Trocola: Well no. They are in a much earlier Stage of development than Renault at the Winter testing. Seriously whoever expected a flawless first Day is delusional. Better to have these Problems now and sort it out over the Winter.
I forgot about what happened to Mercedes this year. Did everything go well for Mercedes at the first day in winter test?

Sasha
Sasha

The problems today put them behind in their test program for the PU.

But better to have these problems now rather at the first test in Febuary at Jerez!That would be a disaster for the early races like what happened to Renault.

matt090290
matt090290

I believe it has been previously stated that there are two engines produced by Honda even in Mclarens own tweets they describe them as the 1x1 and the 2x1 I believe. Perhaps what we have seen today is the 2x1s first outing, this would explain the disparity in the amount of mileage achieved...What do you think?

Blackout

chenpei24730 wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:Big changes to overall bodywork: Sidepods looks a lot "smaller" :

http://en.espnf1.com/PICTURES/CMS/28100/28175.jpg
wow! Sidepods really seem so tiny
Nope it's just the view angle. Sidepods are the same.
Feb 2014 http://www.racingblog.de/wordpress/wp-c ... _00005.jpg

astracrazy
astracrazy

yes, they are the same

It also wouldn't make much sense, making them smaller to then having to go all out on cooling (being as its the first run anyway)

Trocola
Trocola

chenpei24730 wrote:
Thunders wrote:@Trocola: Well no. They are in a much earlier Stage of development than Renault at the Winter testing. Seriously whoever expected a flawless first Day is delusional. Better to have these Problems now and sort it out over the Winter.
I forgot about what happened to Mercedes this year. Did everything go well for Mercedes at the first day in winter test?
They did 18 laps

That's the amount I was expecting from McLaren

ollandos
ollandos

Programme

Today was a historic occasion for both McLaren and Honda – it was the first proper run for the interim MP4-29H/1X1 – the chassis we’ve developed to test Honda’s new V6 turbo engine and undertake various systems checks ahead of 2015.

An electronics issue meant the car spent the morning in the garage, but it broke cover soon after lunch, with test and development driver Stoffel Vandoorne conducting a number of exploratory installation runs throughout the afternoon.

He was halted on a couple of occasions by a fuel/data exchange issue – the second of which left him stranded on the circuit, causing a red flag. Nonetheless, the first day of running was positive, as it’s enabled the team to begin its trouble-shooting programme well ahead of the first test of 2015, which takes place at Jerez in early February.

mclaren report.......

ollandos
ollandos

YASUHISA ARAI - Honda R&D senior managing officer – chief officer of motorsport

“This week’s test is really all about performing some fundamental systems checks on the engine before we begin testing in earnest next February. When I was at Jerez earlier this year, I noticed just how many issues the teams faced in readying these turbo engines, so we really wanted to get those initial checks under our belts before winter testing starts in 2015.

“The engine we used today is still under development – it’s not for the actual race – and we’re on schedule to develop it further ahead of the forthcoming season. There are a few more steps coming before Australia.

“We’re making good progress for the new season as one team.”

diffuser

astracrazy wrote:yes, they are the same

It also wouldn't make much sense, making them smaller to then having to go all out on cooling (being as its the first run anyway)
Aren't those just like to reduce the amount of air going over the parachutes ?

they don't actually need all that cooling.

dans79

Just so it's clear, Merc only did 18 laps because the front wing failed, not because of any engine related problems.
197 104 103 7

richman9
richman9

[youtube]http://youtu.be/NGa_VfT7En4[/youtube]

Mclaren Honda leaving the pits today in Abu Dhabi.

Egresi Tamás
Egresi Tamás

richman9 wrote:http://youtu.be/NGa_VfT7En4

Mclaren Honda leaving the pits today in Abu Dhabi.

Richard
Richard

dans79 wrote:Just so it's clear, Merc only did 18 laps because the front wing failed, not because of any engine related problems.
The McLaren PR quoted above says it was a data issue?

Anyway 18 laps on the first day of this engine variant is on par or even good compared to how other teams performed with their new engines.