Mclaren MP4-29H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Trocola

Re: Mclaren MP4-29H

The Moderator wrote: not agree at all :wtf:
Last year Redbull have only 11 lap in Jerez
And Mercedes more than 200. And they won both championships.

Egresi Tamás

According to Autosport, Boullier did not rule out using another filming day to run the car before the first test of next season

The Moderator

autosport: McLaren could fit in extra Honda run before 2015 F1 testing starts 8)

diffuser

No matter what happened to other teams in pre-race 2014. It's clear that these tests aren't the end of the world for Honda... By the same token there are lessons that could have been learned and changes that could have been made to the PU before the next test had they been able to put on 200 laps. From that stand point these tests were a complete and utter failure.

As someone put it earlier, they didn't need to go to Abu Dhabi to run the engine in a garage.

Also the talk of them wanting to use another filming day is just a reminder how desperate they are to put mileage on the PU.
Last edited by diffuser on 26 Nov 2014, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

bauc

They can also circle around the Mclaren technology center :D .... dont worry guys McalrenHonda will be ready for 2015
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

aleks_ader

diffuser wrote:No matter what happened to other teams in pre-race 2014. It's clear that these tests aren't the end of the world for Honda... By the same token there are lessons that could have been learned and changes that could have been made to the PU before the next test had they been able to put on 200 laps
They have no obligation to use token system. Because they are not under homologation this season like other Manufactures.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

mikeerfol

aleks_ader wrote:
diffuser wrote:No matter what happened to other teams in pre-race 2014. It's clear that these tests aren't the end of the world for Honda... By the same token there are lessons that could have been learned and changes that could have been made to the PU before the next test had they been able to put on 200 laps
They have no obligation to use token system. Because they are not under homologation this season like other Manufactures.
Does that still apply after 1/1/2015?

Xero

I think that would apply until the next engine freeze, which would be Melbourne I presume?

Any details on the exact cause of the issues? Electrical issues in general, or specifically on the PU? It could be the issues are unrelated to the PU itself, so Honda aren't to blame.

stefan_

Abu Dhabi Post-Season Test Session 2014 - Wednesday (26.11.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Th3GoodSon

Hi all, fairly new here but I think there's something many of you are missing based on what Honda has said and so on. My background is in Project Management and I feel we're not giving that aspect of running a car enough thought here. Let me explain what I mean!

Firstly, yes this test must have been a disappointment to them and I'm sure they would like to have done laps. However going on about 'running it in Woking' misses a big point as to WHAT has gone wrong here. As we are led to understand the issue has been with data sensors, the installation of systems, the remote telemetry and numerous other important integration issues. When testing this car they're not just looking at mechanical reliability. In fact I can see no evidence there was a MECHANICAL or even ERS failure - rather a failure in communications and processes.

Honda has been out of F1 for a while and McLaren as an outfit has been working with Mercedes all year (and for many years previously). As well as getting an engine to run both groups need to work TOGETHER in the garage, on the track and off the track. You cannot accurately simulate that in Woking and even in Silverstone, at least not to the level of flying all your staff out to a foreign country in a non-idea garage and making things work. What Honda and McLaren have learned here and what they cannot adequately learn back in the UK is where the meshing between technicians, mechanics and management break down. Mistakes have been made. More then any of us would have liked to see. But you can bet they sure as hell have been paying attention to every mess up, slip up, miss-installed part and communication (even LANGUAGE BARRIER) problems they have experienced.

Our 'proof' of Honda and the engine will come in February. We know it doesn't catch fire (see filming day) but we have no idea if it's good or bad because the issues faced have not been with the engine, but rather how the engine is handled by the support team around the engine. I'm not happy, but I'm no sad and I sure as hell am glad they've found all these problems BEFORE February!

chenpei24730

mikeerfol wrote:And as Boullier said "I prefer this to happen here than in Jerez"
That's right. But I don't understand why they didn't find the problem when they were in the factory? I mean, of course they can not test the car in the factory, but they sure can check the electronic system, can't they?

chenpei24730

ChrisM40 wrote:I really dont understand how people dont realise that this is not a pre-season test in January. This test is effectively 8+ weeks earlier than last years testing.

This time last year no one even had a complete car to test. Right now McLaren are happy enough that the car will even move. Its little more than a proof of concept, not only isnt this next years car, its not even next years engine!
But the moving car is MP4-29H, not MP4-30. In January, maybe there will be not only engine problems, but car problems.

aleks_ader

chenpei24730 wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:And as Boullier said "I prefer this to happen here than in Jerez"
That's right. But I don't understand why they didn't find the problem when they were in the factory? I mean, of course they can not test the car in the factory, but they sure can check the electronic system, can't they?
Yes of course they did that. But that PU is assembled together on the side of scene. And on complexity of this scale many silly things could go wrong. Just 1 broken/teared loom and you are doomed for hours when you will find the mistake or the right one. Remember Singapore, even for Championship winning team Mercedes and theirs silly issue with steering column.

+that is Frankenstein chassis nothing is optimal.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

chenpei24730

Th3GoodSon wrote: In fact I can see no evidence there was a MECHANICAL or even ERS failure - rather a failure in communications and processes.
I think you have made a point and it makes sense. If you were right, MC found even if they made the car run, they can not get any data, so they would rather choose not to run, because they have confidence of the reliability? All they need is the data.

But what worried me is the stop during today's test. That must be some mechanical problem, right?