Manor MNR1 - Ferrari (aka 2015 Marussia)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
countersteer

Re: Manor MNR1 - Ferrari (aka 2015 Marussia)

BanMeToo wrote:
roadie wrote:If the team do run and I really, really hope they do, does anyone else believe the 2014 Ferrari PU is likely to to be a major thorn in their side for the whole season?
Yea. I very much hope they can salvage this season, rather than simply race against the 107% clock all year, but....
I can't find the article now but I read that they will use the 2014 power units until they are depleted at which time they will switch to the 2015 units. This was the deal they struck with Ferrari.

Makes sense in that the 2014 units are "sunk cost" to Ferrari and of little use.

I assume that they will time the "new for 2015" chassis to use the 2015 spec Ferrari power units.

XRayF1

countersteer wrote:
BanMeToo wrote:
roadie wrote:If the team do run and I really, really hope they do, does anyone else believe the 2014 Ferrari PU is likely to to be a major thorn in their side for the whole season?
Yea. I very much hope they can salvage this season, rather than simply race against the 107% clock all year, but....
I can't find the article now but I read that they will use the 2014 power units until they are depleted at which time they will switch to the 2015 units. This was the deal they struck with Ferrari.

Makes sense in that the 2014 units are "sunk cost" to Ferrari and of little use.

I assume that they will time the "new for 2015" chassis to use the 2015 spec Ferrari power units.
AMuS just said in an article this morning that the 2015 Ferrari engines would not fit into their revamped 2014-car. This is the main reason for not driving a 2015 spec engine. At least for a while.
"Das neue Triebwerk hätte nicht in das Interimsauto gepasst, mit dem Manor Marussia die Saison starten will."
("The (2015) engine would not have fit into the interim car, with which Manor Marussia may want to start the season.")
And of course it provides Ferrari with an opportunity to sell old engines.

In case the doubts come true and Manor is just out to grab the 2014 FOC money, how would they be able to gather enough money to redo the car?

andylaurence

It looks to me like the hybrid kit they tested on the 2014 car in the wind tunnel last year:

I've not quite finished building it yet, but this is the option 6 sidepods with the option 5 central section:

turbof1

I have moved the discussion about the 2014 car being used in 2015, to the team thread. Please do continue the discussion there!
#AeroFrodo

PlatinumZealot

andylaurence wrote:It looks to me like the hybrid kit they tested on the 2014 car in the wind tunnel last year:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7285/167 ... e464f5.jpg

I've not quite finished building it yet, but this is the option 6 sidepods with the option 5 central section:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7638/165 ... eb1a6a.jpg
Did they ask for those things back? How do they manage with all of their test parts scattered all over Europe?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

andylaurence

PlatinumZealot wrote:Did they ask for those things back? How do they manage with all of their test parts scattered all over Europe?
No, they didn't. Funnily enough, that's the first thing most people ask me. Their wind tunnel parts are not scattered all over Europe - I have them all (apart from a few things that were "lost" during the auction and the 2015 car that has been well documented). They ran the parts in the tunnel, so I would suggest they probably have the data. Assuming that the 2014/2015 hybrid car will not be developed beyond its current state, I can't see why they would need the bits back. They will build a new model for their next car and the parts I have probably will not fit.

Not your average Pirelli...

R_Redding

Not at all , according to Toet , Pirelli supplies each team with upto 12 sets a year and each tyre has to do 1000x times the km of the full scale ones. Before the WT testing hours were curtailed he says the were putting 80,000 to 100,000 km or more on a set.

Rob

ESPImperium

Stupid question, shouldn't all the MR03 pics and stuff go there as the MNR01 isn't really a actual car right now as its still in the stillborn phase???

RicME85

Was mentioned recently and the decision was being made by the mods

turbof1

To be honest we aren't quite decisive on this. We aren't exactly confronted every year with such a situation like this where we have first the supposed next year's car on windtunnel scale leaking out, then the team reusing a modified version of last year's car.

Original plan was to use this thread as a speculative one, and then reopen a different new topic for the official car. However, since we are having official pictures of the unbuilt car, I'm still scratching my head.

What do you guys want? New topic or continue discussion here? If the former do you want the pictures of the monocoque moved along or rather to stay here?
#AeroFrodo

Richard

I think the 2015 version should have it's own thread. We could rename the title if that's wanted, please suggest alternative titles.

We use the team's official titles, it would be nice to know what Manor call this car! Could someone with twitter ask the team?

turbof1

We do have to be careful with the name. Marussia will eventually built their new 2015 car. Something like MR03-B for now?

I think they are actually more active on facebook. I made a post on their wall.

Do they even know :P?
#AeroFrodo

ESPImperium

I have internal conformation that the team are calling the car the MR03 internally. However, its more or less a B-Spec with new nose, bulkhead, front wing, floor and minor bodywork alterations. In effect the car is the MR03B and would like to see it in the MR03 thread, but update the thread title to run the Marussia/Manor-Ferrari MR03/MR03B.

I will state a precedent, the Spyker F8-VII/Force India VJM01 as that was carried over from 2007 to 2008 in a B spec version with a C Spec coming a third of the way through 2008 that lasted till the end of the year as the team diverted to the good VJM02 car then.

May i also present the FIA Entry List that lists it as a Marussia. http://www.fia.com/2015-fia-f1-world-ch ... um=twitter

PhillipM

I'll ask the man after the weekend...

desl

ESPImperium wrote: May i also present the FIA Entry List that lists it as a Marussia. http://www.fia.com/2015-fia-f1-world-ch ... um=twitter
They simply call themself "Manor Marussia" for this season, because they need the "Marussia" in their name, to get the money for last seasons 9th place.

precedent:
"Marussia Virgin" in 2011
"BMW Sauber F1 Team" in 2010