Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Juzh

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

I just went with throttle indicator since on most good starts people don't usually break traction at all.

Juzh

mrluke wrote: 2014 are geared somewhat longer though
Not really. Merc used to run long ratios but not anymore. They're more or less the same as with V8s, with just a super long 8th. Pre-joker change they pulled 8th at ~330, now they're pulling it at ~295. They Pull 7th at 265.
RB7 in 2011 pulled 7th at ~270 for example (interlaggos).

De Jokke

Is this the new car?
The nose looks different (0.22 min) or is it the nose of the first few races of 2014?
https://amp.twimg.com/amplify-web-playe ... 17&xdm_p=1
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

turbof1

De Jokke wrote:Is this the new car?
The nose looks different (0.22 min) or is it the nose of the first few races of 2014?
https://amp.twimg.com/amplify-web-playe ... 17&xdm_p=1
It's the old nose used until Bahrain. The best way to tell are the camera pods; that position is illegal during 2015. So 2014 car.
#AeroFrodo

Thunder

Without even looking at the Video i can guarantee you it is not the W06.

And after watching the Video, yes it is the old Nose from the start of 2014.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

tranquility2k4

It appears that Lotus are indeed going to use the 2015 spec Merc engine at Jerez as they've updated us today on twitter.

Also on twitter I've spoke to Tobias from AMuS, who tweeted to me:

Tobias Grüner AMuS ‏@tgruener
"Mercedes rumored to try engine upgrades for 26 tokens. Of course, if new parts don't work properly, they will homologate less."

dren

tranquility2k4 wrote:It appears that Lotus are indeed going to use the 2015 spec Merc engine at Jerez as they've updated us today on twitter.

Also on twitter I've spoke to Tobias from AMuS, who tweeted to me:

Tobias Grüner AMuS ‏@tgruener
"Mercedes rumored to try engine upgrades for 26 tokens. Of course, if new parts don't work properly, they will homologate less."
That makes much more sense. I can understand FI running the 2014 unit if they are running the 2014 car, but Lotus running a 2014 unit in a car designed for the 2015 one didn't make sense.
Honda!

RickRick

If they are planning to save some tokens for the end of the season would the rules allow them to be extra sneaky,
After the last race of the season use X tokens to change an item, say for simplicty the change the crankshaft (no idea if this is allowed but the point remains) during pre season testing its obvious that this causes reliabilty problems, the fix requires a (now free for reliabilty) change of crank case so allowing sneaky extra changes?

aleks_ader

RickRick wrote:If they are planning to save some tokens for the end of the season would the rules allow them to be extra sneaky,
After the last race of the season use X tokens to change an item, say for simplicty the change the crankshaft (no idea if this is allowed but the point remains) during pre season testing its obvious that this causes reliabilty problems, the fix requires a (now free for reliabilty) change of crank case so allowing sneaky extra changes?
Yeah is possible but why to risk that? It makes no sense. Why don't make right one in the first place. And for what benefit you would do that? To gain design time in order to risk let say 2% of performance to make "bigger" gain later? Forget that.

And remember the team in request needs FIA and other teams very clearly to clarify the exact design flaw. That means all drawings or other crystallographic foto material, became "public".
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Cuky

tranquility2k4

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1 22m22 minutes ago
New Mercedes is being shaken down at Silverstone today, @JennieGow says

SectorOne

Just so everyone knows, the Mercedes is being shaken down today.

:wink:

Did we manage to get spy-shots last year from Silverstone?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

bonjon1979

SectorOne wrote:Just so everyone knows, the Mercedes is being shaken down today.

:wink:

Did we manage to get spy-shots last year from Silverstone?
i believe merc released a video of it passing through shot. It was a glimpse of the car and hard to see any real detail.

SectorOne

Yup remember that one as well, i guess we have to wait until Sunday for proper images as the video showed basically nothing last year.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"