Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RA168E
RA168E

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation Thread

Moose wrote:
MercAMGF1Fans wrote:the other "elephant" in the room to be addressed is the NOISE!! will it be getting any louder anytime soon?
No, quite the reverse - as the teams make the engines better they'll get quieter, not louder.
Which is something i dont understand the hubub about, everyone misses the sound of the V10s and 12s, i know i do. But this is a different era, v10s have been gone for nearly ten years yet everyone still looks at them with rose tinted glasses because of the sheer noise. I do like a loud racing engine in full song, I personal love the tone of these cars, they' are menacingly understated with the sounds that they produce. its a different era, and this is the sound of the future of racing cars. Just keep your mind open, people cried about the V8s too 7 years ago, now they're wanting them back. All perspective.

langwadt
langwadt

ParkerArt wrote:
scarbs wrote:
mrluke wrote:
Scarbs, can you expand on this? If they get more power out of the same amount of fuel wouldn't they have less heat to reject?
I see your point, but it doesnt quite work that way. running the engine leaner for more power, passing more power cycles through the ERS will all end up producing more heat. Heat that needs to be managed through larger coolers

That is true, the 80s turbo cars ran very rich at time as the unburnt fuel would lower exhaust temperatures. Road cars do the same, the ATF ratio gets quite rich at high rpm and engine load so you don't kill the catalytic converter(s).
true, if you look at videos from the 80's, especially qualifying there is lots of black smoke from running rich

you can't do that with a cat, the unburn fuel gets "burned" in the cat and it melts

user001
user001

langwadt wrote:
ParkerArt wrote:

That is true, the 80s turbo cars ran very rich at time as the unburnt fuel would lower exhaust temperatures. Road cars do the same, the ATF ratio gets quite rich at high rpm and engine load so you don't kill the catalytic converter(s).
true, if you look at videos from the 80's, especially qualifying there is lots of black smoke from running rich

you can't do that with a cat, the unburn fuel gets "burned" in the cat and it melts
if I recall it right those engines at that time were run in a so called qualifying mode. Meaning the engines produced about 1200 HP for only one or two laps for qualifying and then went bust just to be replaced.

WaikeCU

I think we have something similar nowadays. Drivers can set different fuel mixtures, ERS harvest/deploy modes. That's the new way of setting up the car for Quali. For sure during race day they'll have a complete different setting than in Quali.

user001
user001

WaikeCU wrote:I think we have something similar nowadays. Drivers can set different fuel mixtures, ERS harvest/deploy modes. That's the new way of setting up the car for Quali. For sure during race day they'll have a complete different setting than in Quali.
yes, but in quali mode the cars had about 1200 HP and than in the race roundabout 900 hp. the engines went broke after one single lap, ok this is no role model for today and also not even possible. still a big difference to nowadays concerning raw engine power. as lauda said in an interview after the abu dhabi race. he would also like to see 1200 hp cars and aggressive tyres. everything else is boring.
Last edited by user001 on 08 Dec 2014, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

user001
user001

RA168E wrote:
Moose wrote:
MercAMGF1Fans wrote:the other "elephant" in the room to be addressed is the NOISE!! will it be getting any louder anytime soon?
No, quite the reverse - as the teams make the engines better they'll get quieter, not louder.
Which is something i dont understand the hubub about, everyone misses the sound of the V10s and 12s, i know i do. But this is a different era, v10s have been gone for nearly ten years yet everyone still looks at them with rose tinted glasses because of the sheer noise. I do like a loud racing engine in full song, I personal love the tone of these cars, they' are menacingly understated with the sounds that they produce. its a different era, and this is the sound of the future of racing cars. Just keep your mind open, people cried about the V8s too 7 years ago, now they're wanting them back. All perspective.
when everything get worse you refer to the last point you knew. If we would get 4 cylinder engines surely everything would want to get the V6 back because they were relatively better.....

WaikeCU

winth304 wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:I think we have something similar nowadays. Drivers can set different fuel mixtures, ERS harvest/deploy modes. That's the new way of setting up the car for Quali. For sure during race day they'll have a complete different setting than in Quali.
yes, but in quali mode the cars had about 1200 HP and than in the race roundabout 900 hp. the engines went broke after one single lap, ok this is no role model for today and also not even possible. still a big difference to nowadays concerning raw engine power. as lauda said in an interview after the abu dhabi race. he would also like to see 1200 hp cars and aggressive tyres. everything else is boring.
Times have changed. Ecology is the way things are handled. Everything is more ecologic, greener, efficient nowadays. Strength of materials, parts last longer than before. Logistic wise, they also want things more simplified. Smarter packaging for example: there's no longer a T-car or look at the team trucks that are transformed to team motorhomes. It's silly to build an engine for a single lap and after that it becomes unusable. Such a waste.

user001
user001

WaikeCU wrote:
I really don't mind the sound tbh. That deep roar is still very appealing to me.
If you listen to the sound onboad it's just awful. It sounds like a lawn mower....

ParkerArt
ParkerArt

winth304 wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:
I really don't mind the sound tbh. That deep roar is still very appealing to me.
If you listen to the sound onboad it's just awful. It sounds like a lawn mower....
Do you even know what a lawn mowers sounds like? Like, there are much better home/garden tools; leaf blower, vacuum cleaner, hair dryer...

The turbocharger smooths out the exhaust pulses so the sound is a more even tone. Lawn mowers are a single cylinder ICE. It is about as far away from a turbocharged engine as it possible to get.

dren

scarbs wrote:My info suggests the W06 will have a nose like marussia
I'm guessing a similar flowing arch like the Red Bull had this year. Very eye pleasing.
Honda!

user001
user001

ParkerArt wrote:
winth304 wrote:
Do you even know what a lawn mowers sounds like? Like, there are much better home/garden tools; leaf blower, vacuum cleaner, hair dryer...

The turbocharger smooths out the exhaust pulses so the sound is a more even tone. Lawn mowers are a single cylinder ICE. It is about as far away from a turbocharged engine as it possible to get.
leaf blower, vacuum cleaner whatever.. it makes any difference. The sound reminds me of my computer's fan doing high RPM. it's just not formula 1. it's awful ;-)

Moose
Moose

winth304 wrote:
ParkerArt wrote:
winth304 wrote:

leaf blower, vacuum cleaner whatever.. it makes any difference. The sound reminds me of my computer's fan doing high RPM. it's just not formula 1. it's awful ;-)
Once again with the weird analogy. The new engines are much lower RPM than the old, and hence sound much much less like a high RPM fan.

ParkerArt
ParkerArt

Moose wrote: Once again with the weird analogy. The new engines are much lower RPM than the old, and hence sound much much less like a high RPM fan.
I drive a turbocharged car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAqsrI9f3-Y

I wish my car sounded like this if I stalled it at a light.

emaren
emaren

winth304 wrote:
ParkerArt wrote:
winth304 wrote:

Seriously, if you hear them live, you tend to wonder how they manage to mess the TV feed up so badly.

Live, the V10's were just about unbearable, they left me with a terrible headache and ringing ears. The V8's when they reached 22K sounded plain horrible. The actually sounded a whole lot better on TV.

The V6 turbo's sound deep and growly are a lot louder than they sound on TV, actually they sound horrible on TV period.

If you want a car that is awesome but sounds like a vacuum cleaner, then the Audi R18 TDI fits the bill, it was easily the quietest race car I have ever struggled to hear, it sort of 'whooshed' past every lap, the intake roar was more pronounced than the exhaust. it was awesome. Among the crowd I was with it gained the nickname 'whispering death'. Every few laps we would see it quietly blast past a noisy Ferrari or Porsche and every time it did it, we thought it was awesome.

Race cars do not have to be offensively loud, the new generation of F1 cars sound great, menacing, under-stated, evil live, but dreadful on TV. Blame the TV feeds, not the car.s...

emaren
emaren

Oh year, back to speculations.....

I would expect that Mercedes have been carefully looking at areas of the 2014 car that were over-engineered and they are re-desiging those areas to be lighter and less over-built. My expectation is that this will include engine and gearbox components as wells as chassis ones. Therefore next year they will be able to utilise more ballast to bring the car up to race weight.

I also suspect that they will have a car that does not carry the vestiges of the FRIC suspension system, so the systems will be even cleaner than in 2014.

Obviously they need a 2015 compatible nose, but as the nose is the leading edge of the aero design philosophy, then I would also expect major aero changes if the new design is not compatible with the current underbody and rear wing.

The engine will have been developed all year and the changes that are permitted will add up to a bunch more horsepower and yet more reliability too.

Simply the current best car on the grid will probably get a whole lot better as a result of a lot of money being spent to clean it up and improve it...