Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
WaikeCU

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation Thread

emaren wrote:
Seriously, if you hear them live, you tend to wonder how they manage to mess the TV feed up so badly.

Live, the V10's were just about unbearable, they left me with a terrible headache and ringing ears. The V8's when they reached 22K sounded plain horrible. The actually sounded a whole lot better on TV.

The V6 turbo's sound deep and growly are a lot louder than they sound on TV, actually they sound horrible on TV period.

If you want a car that is awesome but sounds like a vacuum cleaner, then the Audi R18 TDI fits the bill, it was easily the quietest race car I have ever struggled to hear, it sort of 'whooshed' past every lap, the intake roar was more pronounced than the exhaust. it was awesome. Among the crowd I was with it gained the nickname 'whispering death'. Every few laps we would see it quietly blast past a noisy Ferrari or Porsche and every time it did it, we thought it was awesome.

Race cars do not have to be offensively loud, the new generation of F1 cars sound great, menacing, under-stated, evil live, but dreadful on TV. Blame the TV feeds, not the car.s...
Yet, I find that an exciting car. I really don't mind the sound.

adrianjordan

emaren wrote:Seriously, if you hear them live, you tend to wonder how they manage to mess the TV feed up so badly.

Live, the V10's were just about unbearable, they left me with a terrible headache and ringing ears. The V8's when they reached 22K sounded plain horrible. The actually sounded a whole lot better on TV.

The V6 turbo's sound deep and growly are a lot louder than they sound on TV, actually they sound horrible on TV period.

Race cars do not have to be offensively loud, the new generation of F1 cars sound great, menacing, under-stated, evil live, but dreadful on TV. Blame the TV feeds, not the car.s...
I remember reading somewhere (in a magazine I think, not online so can't link to it) that the current PU's are still amongst the loudest forms of motorsport and louder than WEC, WRC, IRL and most other categories....I think it was just some of the motorbike categories that were louder than F1...

Can anyone find this?

Anyway, back on topic.

All I hope for Mercedes next year is that they can produce a car that irons out the (relatively few) reliability issues they had this year and looks amazing...oh yeah, and allows Hamilton to get a third title..!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

emaren wrote:Oh year, back to speculations.....

I would expect that Mercedes have been carefully looking at areas of the 2014 car that were over-engineered and they are re-desiging those areas to be lighter and less over-built. My expectation is that this will include engine and gearbox components as wells as chassis ones. Therefore next year they will be able to utilise more ballast to bring the car up to race weight.
This is a tough sell on me considering the reliability issues they had in 2014.

Burgess
Burgess

ParkerArt wrote:
Do you even know what a lawn mowers sounds like? Like, there are much better home/garden tools; leaf blower, vacuum cleaner, hair dryer...

The turbocharger smooths out the exhaust pulses so the sound is a more even tone. Lawn mowers are a single cylinder ICE. It is about as far away from a turbocharged engine as it possible to get.
The cylinder is also on its side (is it still flat with 1 cylinder?) so the sound is even more different.

PlatinumZealot

emaren wrote:Oh year, back to speculations.....

I would expect that Mercedes have been carefully looking at areas of the 2014 car that were over-engineered and they are re-desiging those areas to be lighter and less over-built. My expectation is that this will include engine and gearbox components as wells as chassis ones. Therefore next year they will be able to utilise more ballast to bring the car up to race weight.

I also suspect that they will have a car that does not carry the vestiges of the FRIC suspension system, so the systems will be even cleaner than in 2014.

Obviously they need a 2015 compatible nose, but as the nose is the leading edge of the aero design philosophy, then I would also expect major aero changes if the new design is not compatible with the current underbody and rear wing.

The engine will have been developed all year and the changes that are permitted will add up to a bunch more horsepower and yet more reliability too.

Simply the current best car on the grid will probably get a whole lot better as a result of a lot of money being spent to clean it up and improve it...
Hate to burst your your bubble. But the nose does not affect the aerodynamics that significantly. Yes you can design around the nose shape to get a few tenths. But you can equally change the nose shape for tye better and not suffer in other areas to any significant degree.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SectorOne

Quite an important car for Mercedes. First title is great and all but to make a run you need consistency.
I think it´s scary to think just how much quicker this car could be then the W05 compared to it´s competitors.

The only thing that really stopped the W05 from winning every race was reliability plus a safety car.
With better reliability you are possibly looking at a 100% win/pole/f-laps clean-up.

Can´t wait to see some pictures of this car!
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

kooleracer
kooleracer

SectorOne wrote:Quite an important car for Mercedes. First title is great and all but to make a run you need consistency.
I think it´s scary to think just how much quicker this car could be then the W05 compared to it´s competitors.

The only thing that really stopped the W05 from winning every race was reliability plus a safety car.
With better reliability you are possibly looking at a 100% win/pole/f-laps clean-up.

With Aldo Costa the master of mechanical engineering leading the design team i'm really looking forward the FRICless suspension setup on the W06. Also i'm looking forward to see a more exotic rear wing, with a lot of streaks like the Ferrari and Red Bull had this year. Also the way Red Bull integrated the cooling slots into the bodywork is also something the W06 should have instead of the protruding fins next to the drivers head. We might also see a single beam rear wing support system instead of the duel support beam.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

trinidefender
trinidefender

kooleracer wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Quite an important car for Mercedes. First title is great and all but to make a run you need consistency.

With Aldo Costa the master of mechanical engineering leading the design team i'm really looking forward the FRICless suspension setup on the W06. Also i'm looking forward to see a more exotic rear wing, with a lot of streaks like the Ferrari and Red Bull had this year. Also the way Red Bull integrated the cooling slots into the bodywork is also something the W06 should have instead of the protruding fins next to the drivers head. We might also see a single beam rear wing support system instead of the duel support beam.
Integrating the cooling slots into the bodywork reduces the effectiveness of them. Therefore you have to use a larger area of cooling slots if that is a critical area for cooling. The thing about the single beam vs dual beam support argument is that in theory the single beam should be better aerodynamically, I believe in some cases the dual support is simply needed due to reasons such as more support is needed as less of the wing is connected to the actual floor of the car and that having a single support might allow the rear wing to flex, move around or even vibrate to much which can in itself hurt aero performance of the rear wing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

kooleracer wrote:Also the way Red Bull integrated the cooling slots into the bodywork is also something the W06 should have instead of the protruding fins next to the drivers head.
Depends what you're cooling. Perhaps the Mercedes' slots are helping cool the intercooler or some other critical component so mass flow is more important than a bit of drag reduction, especially in an area that is probably not that critical overall in the car's drag figure. All things are a compromise on these cars and maybe the Mercedes' chunky slots was the better compromise than RedBull's version for the Mercedes' design team.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Harsha
Harsha

However, in the projection, the Mercedes had with its drive unit, not even half the best aerodynamics.
I don't understand the translation about this But is schmidt implying that Mercedes doesn't have best Aero
This article is from http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 24469.html

MercedesAMG
MercedesAMG

No, he doesn't. The Translation has nothing to do with the words he has written in the article.

He says that RB has been much to late with the development of the RB10 and that the Mercedes power unit has been such good, that even if RB would have had the best aerodynamics, they had been not able to beat Mercedes.
Nowhere there is a statement like your translation.

Sry for my bad english. But the Translation of some Translators seems to be much more terrible. :wink:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The previous translation appears to be from Google Translate. Much better to have a German-speaker telling us what it says. Thanks! =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

marcush.
marcush.

Schmidt s article in AMuS quotes a quite selfcritical Rob Marshall who admits to several mistakes committed by RedBull already in 2013 leading to a late production of parts and consequently not enough leadtime to solve problems before the first race....(we could not run for more than 5laps in a row without the car catching fire....)
No doubt this was a big contributor for the lack of running early on and inevitably slowed down progress with the PU as it masked the true strength of the car vs their competitors.
Additionally RedBull made a major mistake to believe they still could start races from the front -something that bite them in the seasons before with Webber who did fail to extract the most of the car not starting from the front as the top speeds always were so mediocre.
This translated into 2014 but now the starting positions were usually second or third rows at best. When Trying to find more top speed the car lost ultimate performance -just the same problem Mercedes had in the years before when trying to run more downforce -the car simply fell out of its performance sweet spot .

De Jokke

Guys, do you think:

- the WO6 will have an even larger advantage than the WO5
- the same advantage more or less
- or will it just stay ahead of the competition

I don't expect them to fall behind :)
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Despite the fact Mercedes had an enormeous gap compared to the rest of the field, and the possibility they haven't touched their full potential, AND the fact there surely will be some development for 2015 aswell - I don't think they'll have the 'privilidge' of doing a Newey-RedBull for the coming 4 years or so.

Mercedes invested hugely in 2014, and it played dividend. However, it's not like 2014 was without (telltale) erros. Reliability proved to be the biggest issue for Mercedes. As strong as Mercedes seemed, they arguably have lost a lot down to their reliability issues, too. Frankly, reliability issues cost' Rosberg his try on his WDC. Not delving in any way into that though, the point is, Merc's biggest 'opponent' was their own reliability.

Now, having the Merc engine being so immensely powerfull, the downside might be that it goes at the cost of reliability. The 'room' for improving the engine might be 'smaller' compared to other manufacturers. It seemed to me Williams had not nearly as much reliability issues/dangers compared to Mercedes. So, if Mercedes is already running on their very edge/limit, and the competition might improve coming 2015, then there is a great possibility that Merc is in for a harder time coming season than it had this year.

Not just that, but if Honda's statements are genuinly true about their engine - and frankly, i don't see why it wouldn't - then we have another team with a powerfull but less reliable engine. In other words, I'd not be surprised to see Mclaren engage the mighty Mercedes in 2015.

In any case, it's too early to tell. Nobody has a genuine clue untill the first race.
Obviously, the Renault and Ferrari-powered teams will have less of a defecit in 2015 compared to 2014 clearly remembering the huge issues the Renaults had in pre-season testing, but whether that'll be enough to climb up to Merc? doubt so.

I can only see Honda being a genuine threat to Mercedes in 2015. If they aren't, then expect 2015 to have a just as dominant Mercedes year but with a 'edgier' Rosberg and an even stronger Hamilton.

I don't expect them to 'fall behind' either, as their financial situation is a whole lot different compared to the Brawn era (1 year era). They did have a head start in this V6T era so that'll help them a lot.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"