Red Bull Renault RB11 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NathanOlder

Re: Red Bull Renault RB11 speculation thread

Yeah theres no way 16bhp will give you 0.5-1 second a lap. If that was the case, this years Merc engine was a good 5 seconds a lap faster, so your telling me the Red Bull aero is 4 seconds a lap fast than Merc, or the Toro Rosso was 3.5 seconds a lap better on aero.
I think somewhere your numbers wont add up.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ringo

It's not just power, it's how it's used. Traction is very key. We have seen how even the same car with a different setup will give much different lap times.
For Sure!!

lio007

Interesting what RB says to the new nose regulations:
Red Bull Racing wrote:... It'll be interesting to see what teams come up with but the basic dimensional regulations envision something not too dissimilar to the nose arrangement used last year by Ferrari's F14T...
http://www.infiniti-redbullracing.com/a ... ments-2015

lio007

So it seems, they'd be still down on power. If Merc finds the rumored 50-60PS, the gap even increases compared to last season. Quite disappointing...
thejudge13.com wrote:The Head of Renault Sport F1, Cyril Abiteboul, was speaking to Canal+ about the upcoming season and the work the French manufacturer has been conducting ahead of the 2015 season.

“We estimate that at the end of last season we had a 60bhp deficit to the Mercedes engine. The aim is to halve that by the start of the season and unlike Mercedes we will be in Melbourne with our 2015 engine.”

“Of the 32 tokens we have used around 2/3rds so far and the engine is an evolution of last years rather than revolutionary. Despite the layout of the Mercedes engine we have left the turbo and compressor in their original positions as we feel it’s a better solution for us.”

“We now have 24 test benches at Viry which in terms of computing power is equal to the rest of the Renault Group combined. New additions are engineers from Porsche and Ferrari but we could not entice anyone from Mercedes to join us.”

After the problems suffered in winter testing last season, the hope is that engine guru Mario Ilien will be able to develop solutions which provide a step forward. ” Lat season, the main problem we face concerned the internal combustion engine’s heat and the direct injection turbo.”

“As you know, we wanted to work with Ilmor and entrusted the engineers to Ilien in relation to the ICE. This way our ideas and their solutions will eliminate the least effective components.”
Last edited by lio007 on 24 Jan 2015, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

SectorOne

Moose wrote:Even then, they're on throttle for 60% of the lap at some circuits, and close to that at most. If we assume 50%, that's still going to be .5 - 1 seconds a lap that RBR has to make up in aero.
You can easily check this out. Just provide us with corner data showing the Red Bull coming out on top against the W05.

From all the data gathered so far the Mercedes was simply faster not only on straights but also through corners.
Horner was very vocal early on the season but then it got quiet after a while, my guess is they realized that Mercedes now had them covered in the downforce department as well.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

ringo

lio007 wrote:So it seems, they'd be still down on power. If Merc finds the rumored 50-60PS, the gap even increases compared to last season. Quite disappointing...
thejudge13 wrote:The Head of Renault Sport F1, Cyril Abiteboul, was speaking to Canal+ about the upcoming season and the work the French manufacturer has been conducting ahead of the 2015 season.

“We estimate that at the end of last season we had a 60bhp deficit to the Mercedes engine. The aim is to halve that by the start of the season and unlike Mercedes we will be in Melbourne with our 2015 engine.”

“Of the 32 tokens we have used around 2/3rds so far and the engine is an evolution of last years rather than revolutionary. Despite the layout of the Mercedes engine we have left the turbo and compressor in their original positions as we feel it’s a better solution for us.”

“We now have 24 test benches at Viry which in terms of computing power is equal to the rest of the Renault Group combined. New additions are engineers from Porsche and Ferrari but we could not entice anyone from Mercedes to join us.”

After the problems suffered in winter testing last season, the hope is that engine guru Mario Ilien will be able to develop solutions which provide a step forward. ” Lat season, the main problem we face concerned the internal combustion engine’s heat and the direct injection turbo.”

“As you know, we wanted to work with Ilmor and entrusted the engineers to Ilien in relation to the ICE. This way our ideas and their solutions will eliminate the least effective components.”
A link to the source? It's contradictory to what was said before that the gap was maybe 20hp or so.
For Sure!!

Harsha
Harsha

ringo wrote:
A link to the source? It's contradictory to what was said before that the gap was maybe 20hp or so.
http://thejudge13.com/#Renault_chasing_Mercedes

mikeerfol

I don't think the judge is such a reliable source...

lio007

ringo wrote: A link to the source? It's contradictory to what was said before that the gap was maybe 20hp or so.
Sorry...here's the canal+ interview: http://www.canalplus.fr/c-sport/c-formu ... rt-f1.html

And Harsha has already posted the thejudge13-link.

lio007

mikeerfol wrote:I don't think the judge is such a reliable source...
Maybe, but in this article thejudge is quoting an interview from canal+.

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

I doubt most everything on the internet, but thejudge13.com is a rare find in this world of copy paste everything from Autosport.

Pop down to the website and get back to me after Jerez.

Juzh

Renault finaly admitting they utterly sucked last year. And it has started to snow in hell.

Juzh

SectorOne wrote:
Moose wrote:Even then, they're on throttle for 60% of the lap at some circuits, and close to that at most. If we assume 50%, that's still going to be .5 - 1 seconds a lap that RBR has to make up in aero.
You can easily check this out. Just provide us with corner data showing the Red Bull coming out on top against the W05.

From all the data gathered so far the Mercedes was simply faster not only on straights but also through corners.
Horner was very vocal early on the season but then it got quiet after a while, my guess is they realized that Mercedes now had them covered in the downforce department as well.

Yep, running RW 1/3 the size and cascadeless front wing will do that. Still slower in speed traps. Aaand we're back to renault's shitty pu.

Juzh

ringo wrote: A link to the source? It's contradictory to what was said before that the gap was maybe 20hp or so.
20 bhp? :lol: :lol: I'm pretty sure in few months on this rate people will be saying renault was actually better than merc.

diffuser

lio007 wrote:
Maybe, but in this article thejudge is quoting an interview from canal+.
I've said this before...nobody really knows. They're not sharing dynometer numbers you know. It's all a guessing game. So you got to take it for what's worth. All anyone really knows for sure is they've had less power and they were slower. Do I think that 20HP could make up the difference in the straight line speed between Renault power Engine and Mercedes? No. It's no longer as simple as the normally aspirated v8s days. With the V8s the power was static, now power is dynamic. What I mean by dynamic is the amount of power available at turn 1 might not be the same that you have from turn 15 on. There was likely a larger disparity on longer circuits.