Red Bull Renault RB11 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Red Bull Renault RB11 speculation thread

Let's sum up the possible causes:
-charge air is too hot?
-engine/cylinder heads are too hot*
-bad ignition timing?
-what else ?

*Could be the cause that urged them design a new oil tank/lubrication system?

gandharva

Redesign of cylinder head, ignition and exhaust layout. Probably the part where they spent most of their tokens until now and also the reason why they hired Mario Illien.

Serious knocking issues also explain why Renault killed that much engines last year.

Coefficient
Coefficient

gandharva wrote:http://www.canalplus.fr/c-sport/c-formu ... rt-f1.html

At least they finally have test benches that include batteries... With Illmore helping to fix the knocking problems and RBR as kings of simulation there could have been a lot of unused potential (not necessarily raw power!) even in last years engine spec that they simply could not use until now. In this context the rumored (Pirelli) 2-3 seconds per lap improvement for 2015 finally make some sense.
Last edited by Coefficient on 26 Jan 2015, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

gandharva

*del*

Doesn't make any more sense as Coefficient edited his last post...
Last edited by gandharva on 26 Jan 2015, 16:02, edited 2 times in total.

toraabe
toraabe

Anyway they will face a massive improvement. Not only top end power, but actually there is more to gain when it comes to drivability than pure top end power.

PlatinumZealot

I guess this is also why Renault could not get away with using log style exhaust manifolds, the higher EGT of the reflected pulses back to the engine would increase the chances of detonation. Merc definitely has a trick up their sleeves in the combustion department. Let's see if Renault sticks to the tubular exhaust which is much a cooler option for combustion.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GoranF1
GoranF1

Ruma has it tommorrow RB 11 Lounch.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

gandharva

According to Horner RB11 is not ready yet.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12475/9683030

ME4ME

Article on Autosport as well: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117475

To me it sounds quite positive. They are giving it their all, trying to catch Mercedes. Should be very interesting to see come testing what they have come up with, even though we will never see the majority of it.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

ME4ME wrote:Article on Autosport as well: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117475

To me it sounds quite positive. They are giving it their all, trying to catch Mercedes. Should be very interesting to see come testing what they have come up with, even though we will never see the majority of it.
At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, unless they've managed to sneak a Mercedes PU into the RB11, they have no hope of achieving anything.

ME4ME

Even in 2014, they achieved things; Winning 3 races. No other team than Merc and RB won even a single race.

Saying there is no hope is just being pessimistic, cause neither of us knows exactly how much Redbull and Renault has improved over the winter, or will improve over the year. Improbable to win the championship - yes i can agree with that.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

ME4ME wrote:Even in 2014, they achieved things; Winning 3 races. No other team than Merc and RB won even a single race.

Saying there is no hope is just being pessimistic, cause neither of us knows exactly how much Redbull and Renault has improved over the winter, or will improve over the year. Improbable to win the championship - yes i can agree with that.
3 wins that were the result of Merc shooting themselves in the foot. Red Bull have no hope of competing with Merc in a straight fight in 2015 so long as they have a Renault PU in the back. By Newey's own admission, there just isn't scope in the current regs to bridge the 1+ second gap on the aero front.

Hell, just the other day Rosberg stated it would be a straight 2 car Merc fight again this season.

SectorOne

Jonnycraig wrote:Hell, just the other day Rosberg stated it would be a straight 2 car Merc fight again this season.
I say we take Rosberg´s time machine and go do something instead. Who´s with me?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

ParkerArt
ParkerArt

ME4ME wrote:Even in 2014, they achieved things; Winning 3 races. No other team than Merc and RB won even a single race.

Mercedes lost 3 races, I wouldn't really say that Red Bull won them.

SectorOne

Hungary was legit. Both Mercs could still have won the race but they got their priorities all messed up.
Red Bull and Ricciardo did a fantastic job with the strategy and it was a well-deserved win.
(same with Alonso´s second place, another brilliant job)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"